Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: SWAC

  1. #1
    Bama_Slim's Avatar
    Bama_Slim is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3

    SWAC

    Since some of you don't know where T-Jack comes from here some knowlege (not that it will make any of you feel better)

    Southwestern Athletic Confrence

    incuded great players like...

    Walter Payton- Jackson State
    Jerry Rice - Mississippi Valley State
    Doug Williams - Grambling
    Eddie Robinson - Grambling
    Mel Blount - Southern
    Steve McNair - Alcorn State

    Most are QB as you see so...
    Im not sayin TJ is going to be a Hall of Famer (although I do belive this) but if this guy is good then you all should start looking at this boy's arm instead of looking at him being from a small black school.
    Just by hearing some of the quick judgements, for a minute, I was hoping you guys would trade him so he could be the opposing qb one day, beating your team. But I honestly do hope he is well received up there in the SNOW.

    Good Luck TJ Bama State Hornets

  2. #2
    Benet's Avatar
    Benet is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,976

    Re: SWAC

    Good first post man, well thought out and said. I think you'll find most people, especially on these boards, were put out more by the Ryan Cook pick than by the pick that brought Tarvaris to Minnesota. Also, because he didn't get much publicity before the draft, the first reaction was "Tarvaris who?", and because he's unknown, people take that to mean that he didn't do anything to attract national media attention and therefore isn't as good as someone like Kellen Clemens or Jay Cutler. Also the argument that he came from a "small" school (I use that term loosely because a "small" school in the States is big by any other countries' standards) is only brought up because it questions the opposing defences he faced.. But from what I read and hear about college football you can say that for any conference at any level, even D-I football such as the PAC-10.

    Notice I said "people" and didn't include myself in there. Being British and not completely tuned-in to college football like most Americans, I only have a passing knowledge of players in the first round anyway, so anything below that I have to trust the judgement of those making the picks and do my own research on the players AFTER the draft. Needless to say, I think you'll find a lot of people (myself included) on the boards here are now firmly behind Tarvaris and hope he can become a franchise-quarterback, because now we've all seen video footage of him playing for Alabama and seen glimpses of him in the Vikings mini-camps.

    Introduce yourself in the Free Beer! forum man, and enjoy your time on the best Vikings Messageboard on the web!

  3. #3
    happy camper's Avatar
    happy camper is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,445

    Re: SWAC

    i was born in ozark alabama.

    i like Jackson.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

  4. #4
    BadlandsVikings's Avatar
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,572

    Re: SWAC

    Good post, and Welcome to the site Bama_Slim

    SKOL!!!

  5. #5
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: SWAC

    "Bama_Slim" wrote:
    Im not sayin TJ is going to be a Hall of Famer (although I do belive this) but if this guy is good then you all should start looking at this boy's arm instead of looking at him being from a small black school.
    Just by hearing some of the quick judgements, for a minute, I was hoping you guys would trade him so he could be the opposing qb one day, beating your team. But I honestly do hope he is well received up there in the SNOW.
    I was confused by this.

    I don't think that we have come down on "this boy's" ability, I think that for the most part, we have seen it as a gamble but not as a negative.

    Lots of good things have been said in the past, by the press and by PPO members.

    Thinking of T-Jack from a "small black school" is nothing that crossed my mind, I didn't even know that that is how people labeled Alabama State.

  6. #6
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,217

    Re: SWAC

    PLEASE STOP THE "WE HATE TJ POSTS" THEY ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY. No one is questioning whether we should trade him or not. Many were upset because we could have gotten an exceptional player at that spot and gotten TJ too. No one had them on their board higher than a fourth round pick. We could taken another player who could have been a very good football player and then taken TJ in a leter round. No one is dissing TJ, as you said most don't know about him, most are upset with the way they drafted him and the draft as a whole.

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  7. #7
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: SWAC

    "tarkenton10" wrote:
    PLEASE STOP THE "WE HATE TJ POSTS" THEY ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY. No one is questioning whether we should trade him or not. Many were upset because we could have gotten an exceptional player at that spot and gotten TJ too. No one had them on their board higher than a fourth round pick. We could taken another player who could have been a very good football player and then taken TJ in a leter round. No one is dissing TJ, as you said most don't know about him, most are upset with the way they drafted him and the draft as a whole.
    EXACTLY!!! That's MY reason....DEFINITELY NOT because of what school he came from. Being from Louisiana, I have watched COUNTLESS players from Grambling State and Southern University make it to the pros...heck, no teams took a chance on Eugene Bruce this year...and he was the FIRST TEAM QB in the SWAC, not Tarvaris. He's ONLY six feet tall and about 260 lbs....but someday he may make the teams of the NFL regret not giving him a chance to make an NFL roster...he may even be more talented than Tarvaris...he was definitely a WINNER everywhere he played!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  8. #8
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: SWAC

    Welcome and good stuff.

    I am optimistic that we can mold him into a productive QB.

  9. #9
    Bama_Slim's Avatar
    Bama_Slim is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3

    Re: SWAC

    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "tarkenton10" wrote:
    PLEASE STOP THE "WE HATE TJ POSTS" THEY ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY. No one is questioning whether we should trade him or not. Many were upset because we could have gotten an exceptional player at that spot and gotten TJ too. No one had them on their board higher than a fourth round pick. We could taken another player who could have been a very good football player and then taken TJ in a leter round. No one is dissing TJ, as you said most don't know about him, most are upset with the way they drafted him and the draft as a whole.
    EXACTLY!!! That's MY reason....DEFINITELY NOT because of what school he came from. Being from Louisiana, I have watched COUNTLESS players from Grambling State and Southern University make it to the pros...heck, no teams took a chance on Eugene Bruce this year...and he was the FIRST TEAM QB in the SWAC, not Tarvaris. He's ONLY six feet tall and about 260 lbs....but someday he may make the teams of the NFL regret not giving him a chance to make an NFL roster...he may even be more talented than Tarvaris...he was definitely a WINNER everywhere he played!

    Actually, Bruce Eugene is now working out with his hometown Saints. hope it works out well for him too

    And I appreciate all the warm weclomes guys thanks.

    This post was to inform you that the swac is not a "no name confrence" as was said a couple of times. So I felt it was my duty (being from the SwAC) to inform you of our historic confrence.

    Im a Viking fan again (used to be a David Palmer fan before he left)

  10. #10
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: SWAC

    "Bama_Slim" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "tarkenton10" wrote:
    PLEASE STOP THE "WE HATE TJ POSTS" THEY ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY. No one is questioning whether we should trade him or not. Many were upset because we could have gotten an exceptional player at that spot and gotten TJ too. No one had them on their board higher than a fourth round pick. We could taken another player who could have been a very good football player and then taken TJ in a leter round. No one is dissing TJ, as you said most don't know about him, most are upset with the way they drafted him and the draft as a whole.
    EXACTLY!!! That's MY reason....DEFINITELY NOT because of what school he came from. Being from Louisiana, I have watched COUNTLESS players from Grambling State and Southern University make it to the pros...heck, no teams took a chance on Eugene Bruce this year...and he was the FIRST TEAM QB in the SWAC, not Tarvaris. He's ONLY six feet tall and about 260 lbs....but someday he may make the teams of the NFL regret not giving him a chance to make an NFL roster...he may even be more talented than Tarvaris...he was definitely a WINNER everywhere he played!

    Actually, Bruce Eugene is now working out with his hometown Saints. hope it works out well for him too

    And I appreciate all the warm weclomes guys thanks.

    This post was to inform you that the swac is not a "no name confrence" as was said a couple of times. So I felt it was my duty (being from the SwAC) to inform you of our historic confrence.

    Im a Viking fan again (used to be a David Palmer fan before he left)
    Can you say Jake Delhomme? He was an undrafted FA who first caught on with the "hometown" Saints and then got traded to the Panthers, taking over as the starter after Chris Weinke went bust. He ended up leading them to within seconds of a Super Bowl win a few years ago.

    Let's hope that IF Tarvaris doesn't work out that we can steal Bruce from the Saints and he can work a little Louisiana magic for us like Jake did for the Panthers! :grin:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •