vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Supplemental Draft Approaching

With a few limitations on the Vikings in free agency as a final 4 team could they make a move in the supplemental draft later this week.

Marrdro have you got your board finalized?

Viking were 1 of 20 teams to take a look at Harvey Unga at his Proday at BYU

Unga entered the Supplemental Draft after
    he and his former fiance did voluntarily withdraw from the university after violating their honor code which bans the use of illicit substances, alcohol, coffee, tea, tobacco and pre-marital sex.
    Bad Ankle Limits Harvey Unga's Draft Workout
    Realistically, Unga won't be a feature back in the NFL, but he could end up being a very valuable Leonard Weaver fullback hybrid type. Although he was banged up and reportedly couldn't cut well as a runner, some team will draft him next Thursday.
    Could he be a replacement for Tahi?

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

Re:Supplemental Draft Approaching

vikinggreg wrote:
    With a few limitations on the Vikings in free agency as a final 4 team could they make a move in the supplemental draft later this week.

he and his former fiance did voluntarily withdraw from the university after violating their honor code which bans the use of illicit substances, alcohol, coffee, tea, tobacco and pre-marital sex.
    Realistically, Unga won't be a feature back in the NFL, but he could end up being a very valuable Leonard Weaver fullback hybrid type. Although he was banged up and reportedly couldn't cut well as a runner, some team will draft him next Thursday.
    I had some thoughts on these lines as well. It's got to be tempting to at least put a low-ball bid in on the guy. He would seem to be that Leonard Weaver type who would be a much better fit as a FB/HB than Tahi who is a straight-up FB in my book.

Same could be said for the Emokpae (sp?) kid as well.

It would be a real vote of "no confidence" in Tahi if they made the move....
    None

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

vikinggreg wrote:

There was a thread a couple weeks back where a lot of this was discussed. The fallacy of the supplemental draft was shown in full bloom there.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

stay away from the Supplemental draft IMO. Save your picks and get a FB next year. A kid who couldn't navigate his way into the regular draft is not going to be an improvement over Tahi, as much as I dislike him.

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    stay away from the Supplemental draft IMO. Save your picks and get a FB next year. A kid who couldn't navigate his way into the regular draft is not going to be an improvement over Tahi, as much as I dislike him.
    Tonga is an interesting player...he should wind up being a pretty good RB/FB/HB in the right system.

After 3 years at BYU I think he could pick up the offense very quickly. Besides, he isn't one of the "Questionable charachter" guysin my book. He got booted because his Girkfriend (soon to be wife) had a baby, giving "living proof" that he broke the ethics clause. They had to kick him off the team to save face.

I won't hold my breath or anything, but, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if we did pick him up.

I just think teams like Chicago and Seattle will be all over this guy...Coaches with something to prove and Personnel needs. It would be tough to outbid them.
    None

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

bsmithberkley wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Tonga is an interesting player...he should wind up being a pretty good RB/FB/HB in the right system.

After 3 years at BYU I think he could pick up the offense very quickly. Besides, he isn't one of the "Questionable charachter" guysin my book. He got booted because his Girkfriend (soon to be wife) had a baby, giving "living proof" that he broke the ethics clause. They had to kick him off the team to save face.

I won't hold my breath or anything, but, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if we did pick him up.

I just think teams like Chicago and Seattle will be all over this guy...Coaches with something to prove and Personnel needs. It would be tough to outbid them.
    Bears got Unga using a 7 round pick

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Two players were picked in the whole thing. Waste of time.
    We're bringing purple back.