Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

State of the Franchise Vikings

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f9365e

Not shown on TV today because of Cutler trade and recorded before the completion of trade.

Personal note: Am I alone in being annoyed by Mayock's obsession with us needing to use the Wildcat which was completely ineffective after the first half of the season?
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

Re: State of the Franchise Vikings

"FuadFan" wrote:

Not shown on TV today because of Cutler trade and recorded before the completion of trade.

Personal note: Am I alone in being annoyed by Mayock's obsession with us needing to use the Wildcat which was completely ineffective after the first half of the season?
    No.
    Though I'd like the play-calling to be more imaginative, I don't think drafting Pat White to come in and run the Wildcat for 15 snaps is something that is going to elevate our offense to the next level.
    Sure, some trickery every once in a while can be good, but let's not turn us into a gimmicky offense for 15 plays a game.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"jkjuggalo" wrote:
    "FuadFan" wrote:

No.
    Though I'd like the play-calling to be more imaginative, I don't think drafting Pat White to come in and run the Wildcat for 15 snaps is something that is going to elevate our offense to the next level.
    Sure, some trickery every once in a while can be good, but let's not turn us into a gimmicky offense for 15 plays a game.
    Agreed.

We don't need any out of the box thinking. We need a staff that can get the team to execute the basics without penalties or fuck ups and we will be fine. I only wonder how long it will take to find that staff.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Damn firewall. I'll watch when I get home tonight Fuad.
    Thanks for the link.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "jkjuggalo" wrote:
    "FuadFan" wrote:

No.
    Agreed.

We don't need any out of the box thinking. We need a staff that can get the team to execute the basics without penalties or floop ups and we will be fine. I only wonder how long it will take to find that staff.
    wrong.. we have certain staff that should be IN a box
    ;D
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "jkjuggalo" wrote:
    "FuadFan" wrote:

No.
    Agreed.

We don't need any out of the box thinking. We need a staff that can get the team to execute the basics without penalties or floop ups and we will be fine. I only wonder how long it will take to find that staff.
    wrong.. we have certain staff that should be IN a box
    ;D
    aint that the truth.... imagination is at a minimum these days... I'm almost wishing Linehan was back.. i hated his play calling too, mostly bc from the 20 to the 20 we were the best in the business.. but get us in the red zone and we couldn't score to save our lives...

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"jkjuggalo" wrote:
    "FuadFan" wrote:

No.
    IMO what's going to really change the quality of this offense is keeping Peterson on the field for 3rd downs. We essentially tell the defense what's coming when we pull him, when Taylor is in the game you'll never see an 8 man front, the second Peterson steps off the sideline they bring someone else into the box. We catch them off guard with a run from Taylor once in a while and it works brilliantly. Imagine what Peterson could do on expected passing downs.

I'd much rather risk a dropped pass or a missed block than have the level of predictability that we currently display.

Combine that with consistent solid receiver play and we'll have a group of 11 that can be on the field every down.

Having a true 11 man offense that can execute everything you need them to will drastically improve what the coaches can do with the playbook, even Childress' playbook.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Mr" wrote:
    "jkjuggalo" wrote:
    "FuadFan" wrote:

No.
    IMO what's going to really change the quality of this offense is keeping Peterson on the field for 3rd downs. We essentially tell the defense what's coming when we pull him, when Taylor is in the game you'll never see an 8 man front, the second Peterson steps off the sideline they bring someone else into the box. We catch them off guard with a run from Taylor once in a while and it works brilliantly. Imagine what Peterson could do on expected passing downs.

I'd much rather risk a dropped pass or a missed block than have the level of predictability that we currently display.

Combine that with consistent solid receiver play and we'll have a group of 11 that can be on the field every down.

Having a true 11 man offense that can execute everything you need them to will drastically improve what the coaches can do with the playbook, even Childress' playbook.
    Third down conversions are the biggest problem the offense has in this scheme. The biggest offensive weapon the team has should not be on the bench.

I agree. If it is the same old plan this year. We will likely see the same result, regardless of who is playing QB.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "jkjuggalo" wrote:
    "FuadFan" wrote:

No.

Third down conversions are the biggest problem the offense has in this scheme. The biggest offensive weapon the team has should not be on the bench.

I agree. If it is the same old plan this year. We will likely see the same result, regardless of who is playing QB.
    I am going to comment because a lot of drives were stalled because of penalties, fumbles and INTs.
    Yes there were some 3 and outs too.
    However, if the players focus such as like they did later in the season (i.e. no penalties and keeping turnovers to a minimum except for the Atlanta game) this team will be better.
    Everyone kssp talking about the play calling.
    My question is how is play calling predictable when there are complaints about what they do on fourth down?
    I.E. passing on 4th and 1.
    How is that predicatable?
    The Vikings had their fair share of trickory but no one talks about the plays that worked well.

Are there times when you wish they would call something other than what they call?
    Yes there are.
    Maybe we like it or maybe we hate it.
    But if we are thinking about what plays we would like to call and the coaches don't call these plays, how is that being predictable?
    To me that is a lot of contradiction and if people want to keep blaming the coaches for players not executing correctly on the field continue to do so.
    Personally I know if a player messes up it is on them.
    If the coach does nothing to fix that then it is on him.
    Therefore if CHildress takes Peterson out because he fumbles or doesn't play well on 3rd downs, I would say that is doing his job effectively.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"ejmat" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "jkjuggalo" wrote:
    "FuadFan" wrote:

No.

I am going to comment because a lot of drives were stalled because of penalties, fumbles and INTs.
    Yes there were some 3 and outs too.
    However, if the players focus such as like they did later in the season (i.e. no penalties and keeping turnovers to a minimum except for the Atlanta game) this team will be better.
    Everyone kssp talking about the play calling.
    My question is how is play calling predictable when there are complaints about what they do on fourth down?
    I.E. passing on 4th and 1.
    How is that predicatable?
    The Vikings had their fair share of trickory but no one talks about the plays that worked well.

Are there times when you wish they would call something other than what they call?
    Yes there are.
    Maybe we like it or maybe we hate it.
    But if we are thinking about what plays we would like to call and the coaches don't call these plays, how is that being predictable?
    To me that is a lot of contradiction and if people want to keep blaming the coaches for players not executing correctly on the field continue to do so.
    Personally I know if a player messes up it is on them.
    If the coach does nothing to fix that then it is on him.
    Therefore if CHildress takes Peterson out because he fumbles or doesn't play well on 3rd downs, I would say that is doing his job effectively.
    You sir are too nice a person to be on this board. I think everyone is complainin that we run what looks to be the same play( although it is often run in a different formation) too many times. 1st and 10 = dive up the middle; 2nd and 8 = OT right; 3rd and 8= 5 yard dumpoff.

My largest problem with running the ball the manner in which we do is that we runn OT right way too much.
    This play book needs some sweeps, power and pitches to it. Everything is a counter cicle handover.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast