Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Aberration is offline Rookie

Sporting news gives offseason D for "breakup of Defense"

Alright not sure if this was posted Sporting News

So I'm pretty sure this proves that the guy doesn't watch football...

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Sporting news gives offseason D for "breakup of Defense"

Thats BS... he rated the LIONS ahead of us!

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings: They loaded up on offense, welcoming Steve Hutchinson, Tony Richardson and halfback Chester Taylor. At the same time, they watched the breakup of the defense they worked so hard to build last year. Linebackers Sam Cowart and Keith Newman, end Lance Johnstone, safety Corey Chavous and corner Brian Williams all left. Grade: D

loaded our defensive while shipping out dante culpepper and losing nate burleson? yes we stacked our running game, but this guy acts like all we did was focus on offense

yes losing some of those defensive players might seem bad, yet they didnt mention the saftey we bring in, or any of the other players we added to the defensive side of our team.

Grade: D? i think he meant "Great D"

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

he says the QB combo for Lions is a lot better!!! LOL i can't believe he is saying that!!! LOL
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

GoVikes11 is offline Rookie

I probably shouldn't say this because all the Brad lovers will go crazy but I also think the Lions have better QB’s than us. Before I start I will say that I am a realistic fan and not bias but that does not mean that I don't love the Vikes. I am sorry but I can't stand Brad Johnson. I was so happy when we signed him but that is because he made a very solid backup and better than Gus did. Just so you guys know I have never liked the guy. I hated him just as much in his earlier years. But here it goes.

I would agree with him about the Lions QB combo being better. I don't know about that they are " A lot better" but definitely better. Let’s face it BJ and Mike aren't very good. We have bottom 5 QB's. I am not including Jackson simply because He probably won't play this year. If you Brad lovers tell me how he wins games I will tell you that he wins games for 2 reasons:

1. He has had good defenses- His SB defense in Tampa was great and last year the D stepped it up when Daunte got hurt because they knew we wouldn't score as many points. Daunte haters don't bring up stats from last year because I will give you many reasons why he didn't play well the biggest being Loney a bad Defense and not enough games to judge him. The D also came together because Cotrell knew just how screwed he was so he did all he could to save his ass but it was too little too late.

2. He does not take risks- Sounds like a dumb argument against a QB but he rarely throws passes more than 15 yards and he will pretty much only throw to the wide open man. This is good for the WCO but what I am trying to say is that he doesn't throw any risky passes so he doesn't hurt us all that much by turning it over. Some people see this as a smart old school QB but I see it as the reason we didn't play too well on offense with him. When the D plays very well we don't need 4 TD's like Daunte was trying to get every game so all Brad has to do is let the other players help him put together a couple of solid drives and we will win. He doesn't hurt us but he also doesn't help us with his passive style and with all the players around him stepping it up it wasn't hard for him to get wins just by doing this. Compared to Daunte trying to do it all on his own with his long time O Coordinator gone and a defense that took too long to gel and rarely played well for him.

I am not sure why I turned this into a I hate Brad post I guess I got caught up by PPE89's post and I am still really fucking bitter when it comes to the Daunte trade, especially considering it looks like he will be healthy. I don't care what you guys say, when he played for us he was an outstanding player, leader and he cared about this team at least when he was on the field. That injury ruined everything and none of us REALLY know what happened in the off-season because I am not sure what side of the story to believe but it does kinda sound like he was being the bitch but who knows. I want him back! And don't think for a second that because I still love Daunte and hate BJ that I am not a true Vikes fan because I love them no matter what I just know the true talent at QB on our team right now and it isn't very good (excluding Jackson). This also isn't saying we are going to suck, it is just we will need Tomlin's Cover 2 to come in right away and kick ass and have some help from our playmakers on offense to make up for the lack of QB skill.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Not sure how you can say Brad Johnson is a bottom 5 QB. The guy has an over 60% winning % in his career. He gets the job done. As stated in many previous posts, stats aren't everything. If stats were everything, maybe Pep would have been undefeated in 2004. Unlike Pep, BJ doesn't make the critical errors Pep has made in his career. As a QB there's leadership and doing what needs to get the job done that is just as important. I'm not saying BJ is better than Pep (that's not true at all). I'm saying the QB position needs other qualities than just athleticism. Bottom 5, BJ is not. I will admit that I think the Lions do have a better combo at QB. I think Kitna is severly under-rated and Josh McCown is not bad either. The problem with the Lions is the OL. I will say Mike McMahon isn't my favorite choice of a backup. He has potential but has never done anything in the NFL. The addition of TJ is yet to be seen.

As far as the article goes: We have a very good line with depth that didn't need much improving anyway. I think injuries were the main problem last year. Our LB crew needs help. Yes we lost Cowart but they drafted Greenway. They have EJ, DT, RD, and they brought in Ben Leber. Leber himself makes up for the loss of Cowart. I think they still need help in that position. As far as DBs are concerned, there's Smoot, Winfield, Williams and Sharper. How many teams out there have a better starting 4 than that? Yes, I would have liked to see Williams back to see if last season was a fluke but he was tremendously overpaid by the Jags. Tank is just as good if not better. Then they lost Chavous. Not too big of a loss there (sorry to the Chavous fans). He went to the Rams and they overpaid him as well.

It's pre-season and it's hard to tell how the new players will gel together. However, except for LB that defense can't be much better on paper. the addition of another proven LB such as a Donnie Edwards would make it complete in my opinion.

jordy is offline Rookie

"GoVikes11" wrote:
    I probably shouldn't say this because all the Brad lovers will go crazy but I also think the Lions have better QB’s than us. Before I start I will say that I am a realistic fan and not bias but that does not mean that I don't love the Vikes. I am sorry but I can't stand Brad Johnson. I was so happy when we signed him but that is because he made a very solid backup and better than Gus did. Just so you guys know I have never liked the guy. I hated him just as much in his earlier years. But here it goes.
    i couldnt agree more, i just think the qb and the lb spots are by far the worst of our team...i just dont like brad as our starter....and i know for sure that the lions qbs are better then our, jon kitna and luke mcown are both good players, and brad may fall in that category as well, but our best backup is probably t.jackson, we dont know what to expect from him, so i'd say our qbs are not as good as the lions qbs

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"GoVikes11" wrote:
    I would agree with him about the Lions QB combo being better. I don't know about that they are " A lot better" but definitely better. Let’s face it BJ and Mike aren't very good. We have bottom 5 QB's. I am not including Jackson simply because He probably won't play this year. If you Brad lovers tell me how he wins games I will tell you that he wins games for 2 reasons:.
    Nowhere is he saying the Lions QB combo is better than the Vikings or any other team. He's merely stating the QB combo of Kitna and McCown is better than Harrington & Garcia.

The ratings he is giving are for moves each team made in the offseason.

We lost some players on "D" that I would have definiteley kept & I still think we should have signed a back-up QB with a better track record.

Last year McMahon's QB rating was 55.2, completed only 45.4% of his passes, only averaged 5.6 yards per attempt & has a 3.9% interception ratio.

The lack of signing a quality back-up QB might come back to bite us in the ass --- "Big Time".

Also the lack of attention we paid at the LB position after losing Cowart & Newman, might hurt us as well.

I can see a lower grade rating, B- or C+, but not a D.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

twill is offline Starter

look im not a brad lover, but the guy is a great text book QB. he isnt flashy like culpepper, but he gets the job done. he is a good qb that can take the team into the next level while supplied with a good defense and he has shown that.

Just cuz he isnt flashy doesnt mean u shouldnt take anything away from the guy

GoVikes11 is offline Rookie

Sorry about my post singersp but I was just going by what PurplePeopleEaters89 said. I only briefly read the article. I will also say that I found what he had to say about our defense very funny and it will definitely prove him wrong this year.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast