Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Spielman: Vikings already have narrowed the draft field

[size=12pt]Rick Spielman: Minnesota Vikings already have narrowed draft field[/size]

By Sean Jensen
    [email protected]
    Posted: 02/11/2009 12:01:00 AM CST

The NFL combine starts next week in Indianapolis, and the NFL draft is about 11 weeks away. But the Vikings have already ruled out a "handful" of college players, said Rick Spielman, the team's vice president of player personnel....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Spielman: Vikings already have narrowed the draft field

Exactly what I want to hear and exactly what I expect from a team coached by Brad Childress. This very article right here can debunk any avid pipe dreams of players like Adam Jones, Terrell Owens, or lound mouth Ocho of ever joing our team.

I thought it was also intristing that they stated we are doing our work on players that can fit the scheme and learn the scheme, there is wild theory afloat concerning our inability to draft players for the scheme, I couldn't disagree more.

Good Article, I love to hear that we have dropped several players for character concerns.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

I bet they pass on the next Randy Moss.

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    That alright, Randy Moss never won a SuperBowl, or ever helped a team win one. It happens every year without him and without Terrell Owens.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    That alright, Randy Moss never won a SuperBowl, or ever helped a team win one. It happens every year without him and without Terrell Owens.
    True, but getting a Randy Moss type in the draft definetly helps a teams chances of getting to the super bowl. The Giants won a superbowl, in large part because of Plaxico Burress.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    Exactly what I want to hear and exactly what I expect from a team coached by Brad Childress. This very article right here can debunk any avid pipe dreams of players like Adam Jones, Terrell Owens, or lound mouth Ocho of ever joing our team.

I thought it was also intristing that they stated we are doing our work on players that can fit the scheme and learn the scheme, there is wild theory afloat concerning our inability to draft players for the scheme, I couldn't disagree more.

Good Article, I love to hear that we have dropped several players for character concerns.
    Why would you want those players on your team anyways?
    We're bringing purple back.

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    True, but getting a Randy Moss type in the draft definetly helps a teams chances of getting to the super bowl. The Giants won a superbowl, in large part because of Plaxico Burress.
    But especailly because of there Offensive Line and Defensive Lines overall play. They were the catalyst by far and the reason they ran so well and pass protected Eli so well during the run. The DLine was dominant in terms of stopping the run and rushing the QB. Overall I think there sucess was largly in due to the Line plays, but more importantly "Team Execution" as always.

Buress is a great player, but also a character concern, he was unable to stay consitent for his team cause he thought was cool to hit up clubs strapped with heat.

The bottom line for myself and what I think is correct, is too draft and recruit Free Agents with good character, intagilbles, and ability to learn the scheme and take in coaching. If I was to run a franchise it would be very similair to way the Vikings are run in terms of locker room character. IMO there is no room for off the field distractions and Me Players. While they bring great exitement and sell tons of Jersey's so do character guys like Adrian Peterson, Chad Greenway, Jared Allen, ect. In most cases those players are always going to stay consitent in terms of off the field behavoir and be there for there teamates.

Locker room chemistry and player character IMO are highly underated.

"gregair13" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:

Why would you want those players on your team anyways?
    Well I wouldn't but my opinion does not effect those who would.

KrackerJack is offline Hall of Famer

"VikingsTw" wrote:

Locker room chemistry and player character IMO are highly underated.
    I totally agree.
    I don't understand why some people are willing to bring in anyone despite personality.
    Team chemistry is VERY important to a football team, it's not all talent.
    Just ask the Dallas Cowboys...
    Anyone playing soley for themselves shouldn't be in this sport, this is the ultimate team sport.
    For the guys with off the field troubles- What they're doing doing is putting themselves above the team with their acts, they're risking hurting their team for their own personal gain.
    However, If their off the field issue is an addiction to something, then I believe it's different, as long as they try to stop and get help if they need it I don't think it's as selfish.
    That's why I think Jared Allen is seperated from the Pacman and Vick types.
    Not so sure on McKinnie, he deserved to be trashed, but I will admit some bias since he is such an important part of our offense...

So far McKinnie has impressed me with his on the field actions and off the field behavoir since his arrest. I think McKinnie understands his situation and understands that he can't continue to make mistakes. Usually at about age 28 Adults start to take life a little more serious and I hope thats what McKinnie is doing. He just finished his best season as a pro, so I like his direction and nobody was more down on him last offseasn than me. Jared Allen is a great guy, I think the Alchohol problem was something that he corrected, I don't fault him for doing what he did cause I know how he's conditioned. His rise to stardum and living the fast life off the field got him in trouble, but he's bright guy who has been very sincere and like McKinnie has had his best days after he was punished.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast