The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

Spielman to speak on Thursday

http://vikings.scout.com/2/638609.html

The Vikings will meet the local media Thursday to talk draft, but Rick Spielman, referring to himself as a general manager, spoke with his old pallies at ESPN Tuesday and made some interesting comments about what direction the Vikings might be heading in.
    GM?
    ???

Here's hoping he says nothing.

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Spielman to speak on Thursday

i saw the espn one where he spoke on tuesday, he basically said that the vikes will take the BPA approach to the draft. Whether it be a RB QB, the "safety from lsu" or one of the corners. He also stated they really like TJ he's there everyday and also how he came up during to meet the coach (during the combine), that was all that he really talked about.
    I see him doing the same thing on Thursday

Thanks josdin00

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"tb04512" wrote:
    i saw the espn one where he spoke on tuesday, he basically said that the vikes will take the BPA approach to the draft. Whether it be a RB QB, the "safety from lsu" or one of the corners. He also stated they really like TJ he's there everyday and also how he came up during to meet the coach (during the combine), that was all that he really talked about.
    He pretty much said the exact same thing this morning on a KFAN interview.
    I'm starting not to hate the guy anymore.
    He was actually pretty funny.
    I'll reserve my final judgement until after next year's draft though.

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "tb04512" wrote:
    yeah he did joke around a little on the ESPN interview, but like you i will save my judgement till the draft

Thanks josdin00

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "tb04512" wrote:
    Not hating him?
    Whjat about after the draft when you realize he was lying and you were duped?

What about 80% of Viking fans who have a favorite player in mind for pick #7, who will be upset when the Vikings didn't draft 'him', or trade up to get 'him'?

Spielman is enjoying his last few days of approval by Viking fans.
    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"Purplexing" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "tb04512" wrote:
    Not hating him?

What about 80% of Viking fans who have a favorite player in mind for pick #7, who will be upset when the Vikings didn't draft 'him', or trade up to get 'him'?

If the Vikes take the best player available in their opinion how is that duping us?

How was he lying when he said this?

Fans may not agree with their selection but unless people think the Viking's are drafting players that make us worse on purpose then who the Vikes take is the best player available in their opinion.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Purplexing" wrote:
    Not hating him?

Duped?
    Duped how?
    By differing in opinion from ME as to who the player to be selected was?
    Good Lord, Purp - way to make this draft thing wayyyyy too personal.

Spielman will be judged by the quality of this draft months down the road.
    Probably before next year's draft after the season has completed.

The 2006 draft shapes up as a solid success after one season - certainly one of the better drafts in recent years, even w/out factoring in too much impact in 2006 for TJack.

Was that Fran Foley's doing?
    Do many of us even remember that it was Foley who ran the draft last year before being revealed as a lying, manipulative, egomaniac?

Or was that Scott Studwell's doing?

We shall see.

But as has been pointed out in numerous other threads, even if there is a Pentagon of Power, the FACE that fans associate with on and off-field team decisions is that of Brad Childress.

After the draft, Rick Spielman will fade back into the background, only to surface at irregular intervals with updates from the home office.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Json is offline GM

If the Vikes play there cards right this might turn out to be one of the better drafts IMO.
    Atleast better then last year I hope.
    I would really hope whoever they pick they can come in and contribute right away.
    Look at A.J. Hawk last year, and thats the exact type of impact the vikings need from whoever it is they pick up at #7.

I will make one thing known right now, and if I'm wrong feel free to call me a moron for a few months
    but the vikings WILL NOT trade down with the #7 pick.
    The reason I say that you ask?
    From a few articles I've read, but the one fresh in my mind is how Peter King mentioned that only about 18-20 players in this years draft are first round worthy(which the GM from the colts apparently spoke with Peter King after reading the original article and said "did you steal my draft board, Peter?
    Because I had exactly 18 players in this years draft that deserve a first round pick).
    I will admit I'm no draft guru by any means but I do repsect Monday Morning QB (actually it's one of those few moments on a monday morning that I can actually smile about)
    and what Peter King relays.
    He is very connected in the league and has much respect from many organizations and people who really know what the hell is going on within the organizations.

So in other words, right it down, take a picture, I don't give a F+++ but the Vikings WILL NOT trade out of the #7 spot unless it's moving up to grab somebody (which I feel is a 1% chance)

"Purplexing" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "tb04512" wrote:
    He pretty much said the exact sae thing this morning on a KFAN interview.
    Not hating him?

ill be surprised if you ever vote for anything if your so concerned about being duped... being duped in this draft would be taking Troy Smith at 7

Thanks josdin00