Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: Spielman shying away from QBs in the first???

oh of course, but I have accepted the fact that this will probably be a long summer (possibly fall) for professional football.

dfosterf is offline Coach

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1092738
    You weren't kidding about the long read. Definitely worth it though, and I really wouldn't mind seeing Mallett in purple and gold...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1092651
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092643
    Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1092620
    We are the only team in the league that believe that a franchise QB can be found in the later rounds of the draft. Personally I would like us to trade back and draft Mallet with the 25th pick. We will be in serious shit if we try to nab him in round 2. I believe that once Gabbett is gone, other teams will defer to the 2nd round to get these guys.
    Pats found Brady and if push comes to shove, Cassel. 49rs found Montanna. Should I go on?
    Please do. You've listed 3 QB's drafted in the past 32 years.

If a team uses that strategy, the whole FO needs to be shitcanned.

3 results in 32 years is not a strategy, it's luck.

There is not a guy like that in every draft. There is not a guy like that in even half the drafts. I most drafts, 5th-7th round picks are busts more often than not.

Also, Joe Montana was drafted in round 3, 82nd overall pick. Not sure how that qualifies as a "late round" pick.

3rd rounders CAN work out, more often than not they don't.

QB and CB it seems are the two positions where drafting early gives you a MUCH larger likelihood of having a great player. Other positions you can pick up later with 'value picks', QB isn't usually one of them.
    George Blanda, Norm Van Brocklin, Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr, Sunny Jurgenson, Don Meridith, Roger Staubach, Joe Thiesman, Ken Anderson, Lynn Dickey, Dan Fouts, Pat Haden, Steve Grogran, Steve Deberg, Gary Kubiak, Mark Rypien, Rich Gannnon, Brad Johnson, Trent Green, Mark Brunnell, Matt Hassleback, Mark Bulger, Matt Schaub, Kurt Warner, Kyle Orton,

Don't have the time to do the research but all of them were drafted in or after the 3rd round. My guess, there is alot bigger list of first rounders that I could pull up from each of their draft classes that were busts.......:P

3rd round of the draft means it is almost half over. How much later do you need it?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1092667
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092644
    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1092627
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1092625
    It doesn't surprise me. In fact It echoes what I've already said & that was that the Vikings won't draft a QB in the first, just for the sake of a drafting a QB.

If one of the top QB's remarkably happens to fall to them in the first at the 12th slot, then they probably take him.

I highly doubt they would pass up the BPA at pick 12, to prematurel7y select the next best QB in the draft, if he's projected to go much later than 12th.
    If one of the top QB's remarkably happens to fall to them in the first at the 12th slot, then they probably take him

Probably don't need to be in the inner circle to figure that one out!

I don't highly doubt anything after watching them drop back to take Cook last year, then waste an extra draft pick on a backup running back.

I agree with you, I want BPA at 12. But I will not be the least bit surprised if they reach for a QB.
    If they don't resign AD will the Gerhart pick be a backup pick or a future starter pick?
    If ? Is that the same if as used in the sentence, If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle?

How about a fact for a change. Gerhart was picked as replcement for Chester Taylor which made him a backup and sometimes third down back.
    I'm not against picking the player. But do you really feel he was worth 2 draft picks? Really?

If you want to play the if game, I will say he will not be the starter, we will draft someone better.Unlike QB's,good running backs can be found throughout the draft.
    But FO pukes have to play the "What If" game, especially when it comes to the draft.

Watch teams like the Steelers, Pats etc, as they draft. They draft potential replacements for starters, not starters.

Reason for that, they draft potential replacements for starters. When a starter leaves that potential guy has had a couple/three years to get ready and steps right in.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092813
    It doesn't surprise me. In fact It echoes what I've already said & that was that the Vikings won't draft a QB in the first, just for the sake of a drafting a QB.

If one of the top QB's remarkably happens to fall to them in the first at the 12th slot, then they probably take him.

I highly doubt they would pass up the BPA at pick 12, to prematurel7y select the next best QB in the draft, if he's projected to go much later than 12th.
    If one of the top QB's remarkably happens to fall to them in the first at the 12th slot, then they probably take him

I don't highly doubt anything after watching them drop back to take Cook last year, then waste an extra draft pick on a backup running back.

I agree with you, I want BPA at 12. But I will not be the least bit surprised if they reach for a QB.
    If they don't resign AD will the Gerhart pick be a backup pick or a future starter pick?
    If ? Is that the same if as used in the sentence, If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle?

How about a fact for a change. Gerhart was picked as replcement for Chester Taylor which made him a backup and sometimes third down back.
    I'm not against picking the player. But do you really feel he was worth 2 draft picks? Really?

If you want to play the if game, I will say he will not be the starter, we will draft someone better.Unlike QB's,good running backs can be found throughout the draft.
    But FO pukes have to play the "What If" game, especially when it comes to the draft.

Watch teams like the Steelers, Pats etc, as they draft. They draft potential replacements for starters, not starters.

Reason for that, they draft potential replacements for starters. When a starter leaves that potential guy has had a couple/three years to get ready and steps right in.
    I think his point was Toby will never be that guy who steps in and starts much like Jackson ended up not being a guy who could ever step in and start and those are not the guys you want to use multiple picks to reach and grab. Especially when they are slated to be around at a later pick. And if they are gone by then it was not a big loss.

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1092672
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092642
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1092611
    That's a politically correct way of saying "Chiller didn't want them"....although Marrdro will use the same statement as a "validation" that Chiller didn't pick the QB's (which he did).

Caine
    Prove the Chiller made any pick during at all during his tenure or that any pick made by the Vikes under his tenure weren't made without input from the rest of the staff.

This should be funny......:P
    Prove that they weren't? Hell prove ANY of your current crop of conspiracy theories.

You never do...

Caine
    LOL, conspiracy theories. Your cracking me up.

I don't have to prove anything. I just discuss possible scenarios. You on the other hand, think your scenarios are facts....

Thus the required proof.

By the way, I've given you example after example of how real NFL organizations work when it comes to player acqusitions. You, again, believe the HC does it all, but only when it comes to QB's.:P

Quote Originally Posted by "b_sandhar_29" #1092677
    As I was watching the NFLN "Vikings on the clock" segment, it seems that Leslie does actually want to draft a quarterback in one of the first 2 rounds for sure. They even mentioned Frazier saying he was willing to trade up to get a guy that they like.

We just can't be giving away more picks and we definitely need all the picks we can get. I'd hate the idea of trading up especially for a QB in a draft where I don't really see a great QB in this class. It'll be interesting to see how this draft turns out.
    The problem is, what Leslie wants to do is what Leslie wants to do. If you believe like Caine, then they will do what Leslie wants to do.

However, if you believe like the rest of the world believes, they will do what the organization as a whole wants to do and Spielman will make that pick.

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1092827
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092813

I think his point was Toby will never be that guy who steps in and starts much like Jackson ended up not being a guy who could ever step in and start and those are not the guys you want to use multiple picks to reach and grab. Especially when they are slated to be around at a later pick. And if they are gone by then it was not a big loss.
    That makes sense. It isn't like I haven't missed Docs point at one time or another. :laugh:

In the video posted below, ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay says that Washington quarterback Jake Locker still has a "mid- to late-round" grade after his pro day Wednesday. McShay wonders if a quarterback-needy team with a pick in the upper half of the draft -- such as the Minnesota Vikings at No. 12 -- might try to trade down and draft Locker later in the first round.

My response: If you like Locker and think he can be your franchise quarterback, would it really be worth the risk to pass on him at No. 12 and target him later in the draft?
    The risk of getting too cute in QB search

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast