Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Spielman shying away from QBs in the first???

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1092627
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1092625
    It doesn't surprise me. In fact It echoes what I've already said & that was that the Vikings won't draft a QB in the first, just for the sake of a drafting a QB.

If one of the top QB's remarkably happens to fall to them in the first at the 12th slot, then they probably take him.

I highly doubt they would pass up the BPA at pick 12, to prematurel7y select the next best QB in the draft, if he's projected to go much later than 12th.
    If one of the top QB's remarkably happens to fall to them in the first at the 12th slot, then they probably take him

Probably don't need to be in the inner circle to figure that one out!

I don't highly doubt anything after watching them drop back to take Cook last year, then waste an extra draft pick on a backup running back.

I agree with you, I want BPA at 12. But I will not be the least bit surprised if they reach for a QB.
    We don't have to reach, but you simply should trade back. The fact remains that a solid QB will not be available round 2 pick 12 of the draft. Most teams that by pass a QB in the 1st will draft one in the first 10 picks. I must say that if we do not draft a QB in round 1 or two of this draft, I am done with the Vikings and will be backing a new team.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1092632
    It doesn't surprise me. In fact It echoes what I've already said & that was that the Vikings won't draft a QB in the first, just for the sake of a drafting a QB.

If one of the top QB's remarkably happens to fall to them in the first at the 12th slot, then they probably take him.

I highly doubt they would pass up the BPA at pick 12, to prematurel7y select the next best QB in the draft, if he's projected to go much later than 12th.
    If one of the top QB's remarkably happens to fall to them in the first at the 12th slot, then they probably take him

I don't highly doubt anything after watching them drop back to take Cook last year, then waste an extra draft pick on a backup running back.

I agree with you, I want BPA at 12. But I will not be the least bit surprised if they reach for a QB.
    We don't have to reach, but you simply should trade back. The fact remains that a solid QB will not be available round 2 pick 12 of the draft. Most teams that by pass a QB in the 1st will draft one in the first 10 picks. I must say that if we do not draft a QB in round 1 or two of this draft, I am done with the Vikings and will be backing a new team.
    Maybe Marty can get you his seat on the Bengals bandwagon:laugh:

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

IF 3 or 4 QBs go before our 12th pick, we may be drafting a Backup in the first round!! IF we can't move back, I'd rather go BPA and make a move for a 2nd tier guy somewhere around the end of the first/beginning of the 2nd.

We need to be honest with ourselves. At some point, the next best QB might not be an upgrade on Webb.

The fact remains that a solid QB will not be available round 2 pick 12 of the draft.
    Thats because the Vikings will have just selected the last one at pick 11!!?

(Our pick rotates with all the other 6-10 teams, moving up one pick a round until we reach 7th of the 6th round.)
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

I'm with you, the chances of a QB making it are slim unless they have first round talent.

There is always some disparity between the medias evaluation of players and the NFL teams evaluations. The media doesn't have a great track record.

One of the top QB's very well may fall to us at 12. But if not, I would rather move back and pick one up. There is some definite risk involved.

The media seems to think Mallett is a late first round to early second round pick. I'm not so sure the teams see it that way.

Carolina,Cinci,Titans, Denver, and seattle attended his pro day.

He has or had meetings and workouts with 12 teams in all.

Mallett may get past Carolina 1, Buffalo 3, Cinci 4, 49ers 7, and Titans 8, and be there at 12.
    If you do trade back, will he get past Miami 15, or Seattle 25?

Unless they are in love with Locker, they will probably have to take Mallett at 12.

Is that a reach? Perhaps not so much.

Mayock says he questions his decision making when under pressure in the pocket. Kind of important since the guy is an obvious pocket passer.

But his college career stats paint a different story. 69 TD's 24 INT.

There is much made about character issues or alleged drug use.

After all the scrutiny at the combine and his pro day he was scheduled to meet with 12 teams. That much interest suggests his character issues aren't that significant.
    He has never failed a drug test.

I'm just making a case why an NFL team may have him rated higher than the media.

Presumably he doesn't fit the WCO, but Musgrove is supposedly flexible.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I still say if the QB's start to fall early in the draft it is going to open us up to the prospect of getting Jones at WR with the 12 pick and that will give us a stable of talent that we can really back off and take a guy like stanzi who can come in and not have to do everything himself with a later pick. Then focus on the OL and DB's and we will be in good shape.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1092611
    That's a politically correct way of saying "Chiller didn't want them"....although Marrdro will use the same statement as a "validation" that Chiller didn't pick the QB's (which he did).

Caine
    Prove the Chiller made any pick during at all during his tenure or that any pick made by the Vikes under his tenure weren't made without input from the rest of the staff.

This should be funny......:P
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1092620
    We are the only team in the league that believe that a franchise QB can be found in the later rounds of the draft. Personally I would like us to trade back and draft Mallet with the 25th pick. We will be in serious shit if we try to nab him in round 2. I believe that once Gabbett is gone, other teams will defer to the 2nd round to get these guys.
    Pats found Brady and if push comes to shove, Cassel. 49rs found Montanna. Should I go on?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

If they don't resign AD will the Gerhart pick be a backup pick or a future starter pick?

If you think he is your franchise QB at 12 you'd better not trade back and expect that franchise QB to be there for the pickings at another spot.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I don't want to pick a QB just for the sake of picking a QB. If Gabbert, Newton or Locker is there at 12, Grab him. If not, I don't know any of the others are worth the pick.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast