Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

Spielman shying away from QBs in the first???

VP of player personnel Rick Spielman told KFAN radio the Vikings shouldn't force a pick of quarterback. Weve been pretty patient," he said. "There have been some big-name quarterbacks that we have passed on because some of the criteria didnt fit what we were looking for. We need to continue to use that philosophy even as we go forward with this draft.

After reading this I truly wonder what type of quarterback fits our "criteria." It could be a smokescreen or maybe they just don't see a guy worth taking at 12. I'm going to assume that we do take the BPA which may be on the defensive side of the ball. I love this philosophy heading into the draft, and I think Leslie is going to let Spielman do his job unlike Chillar who I felt was a little more argumentative towards what players they need to fit Chillar's scheme.
    None

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Spielman shying away from QBs in the first???

Quote Originally Posted by "b_sandhar_29" #1092608
    VP of player personnel Rick Spielman told KFAN radio the Vikings shouldn't force a pick of quarterback. Weve been pretty patient," he said. "There have been some big-name quarterbacks that we have passed on because some of the criteria didnt fit what we were looking for. We need to continue to use that philosophy even as we go forward with this draft.

After reading this I truly wonder what type of quarterback fits our "criteria." It could be a smokescreen or maybe they just don't see a guy worth taking at 12. I'm going to assume that we do take the BPA which may be on the defensive side of the ball. I love this philosophy heading into the draft, and I think Leslie is going to let Spielman do his job unlike Chillar who I felt was a little more argumentative towards what players they need to fit Chillar's scheme.
    That's a politically correct way of saying "Chiller didn't want them"....although Marrdro will use the same statement as a "validation" that Chiller didn't pick the QB's (which he did).

Caine

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

Weve been pretty patient,..."

As in, "We have done nothing to improve the position other than drafting 2nd day talent pinning our hopes on TJack."

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

No different than chillies philosophy, other than we are more in need of immediate help than past years. You still have to be smart with your picks.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

We are the only team in the league that believe that a franchise QB can be found in the later rounds of the draft. Personally I would like us to trade back and draft Mallet with the 25th pick. We will be in serious shit if we try to nab him in round 2. I believe that once Gabbett is gone, other teams will defer to the 2nd round to get these guys.

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1092617
    No different than chillies philosophy, other than we are more in need of immediate help than past years. You still have to be smart with your picks.
    That was my point. It was Chilly's Philosophy that we've employed. We are in as much of an immediate need as all of Chilly's years save for Favre's first year with us.

You do need to be smart with your draft picks. This year we have no 3rd rounder, but we do have a 5th rounder for the Sage trade with the Giants after we gave up a 4th rounder for him. Thanks, Chilly!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1092620
    We are the only team in the league that believe that a franchise QB can be found in the later rounds of the draft. Personally I would like us to trade back and draft Mallet with the 25th pick. We will be in serious shit if we try to nab him in round 2. I believe that once Gabbett is gone, other teams will defer to the 2nd round to get these guys.
    Patriots too. :P

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

It doesn't surprise me. In fact It echoes what I've already said & that was that the Vikings won't draft a QB in the first, just for the sake of a drafting a QB.

If one of the top QB's remarkably happens to fall to them in the first at the 12th slot, then they probably take him.

I highly doubt they would pass up the BPA at pick 12, to prematurel7y select the next best QB in the draft, if he's projected to go much later than 12th.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1092625
    It doesn't surprise me. In fact It echoes what I've already said & that was that the Vikings won't draft a QB in the first, just for the sake of a drafting a QB.

If one of the top QB's remarkably happens to fall to them in the first at the 12th slot, then they probably take him.

I highly doubt they would pass up the BPA at pick 12, to prematurel7y select the next best QB in the draft, if he's projected to go much later than 12th.
    If one of the top QB's remarkably happens to fall to them in the first at the 12th slot, then they probably take him

Probably don't need to be in the inner circle to figure that one out!

I don't highly doubt anything after watching them drop back to take Cook last year, then waste an extra draft pick on a backup running back.

I agree with you, I want BPA at 12. But I will not be the least bit surprised if they reach for a QB.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1092622
    Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1092620
    Patriots too. :P
    Good thing Tom Brady like Qbs are found in the 6th round of every draft.....oh wait :S

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast