Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Spielman on KFAN 4/10

http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2710
    Spielman on KFAN today

April 10th, 2009 – 8:31 AM by Judd Zulgad

Vikings vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman is scheduled to be on Paul Allen’s show on KFAN from 11 a.m. to noon today to provide a draft preview. Safety Tyrell Johnson will be on at 10:30 a.m. If you want to listen go to the station’s website at www.kfan.com. If you don’t get a chance, we’ll bring you some highlights on the blog this afternoon. I’m also sure that both interviews will be made available on the station’s website through it’s “on demand” section.

If I get a chance I will post the link to the podcast later or if someone else can all the better.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Spielman on KFAN 4/10

Thanks GG.
    Can't listen at work.
    I will check them out when I get home or this weekend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Tyrell Johnson is on now.

http://www.kfan.com/main.html

"josdin00" wrote:
    Tyrell Johnson is on now.

http://www.kfan.com/main.html
    ...and now, Spielman's on.

Some notes from the Speilman interview:

- They talked briefly about all the rumors floating around on the internet. Speilman said they do follow up on those rumors to see if there's anything to them.

- They're currently looking at 5 or 6 names for the 22 spot, but they have 2 or 3 names that if that guy's there, there's no question that he's the pick.

- As far as putting their draft board together, they never have more than one player at the same position with the same grade. However, they will have multiple players from different positions rated with the same grade. Then, if it falls to those players, they'll choose from them based on team need.

- If they're in a position where the best player available is a position they don't need, they'll look to trade down. If they can't, they'll take the guy, and go with it.

- It sounds like they rate players by category (opening day starter...), not by draft order

- The draft board is set. The coaches come in on Tuesday, and they'll go over reports together, and tweak the board. However, the board is pretty much set now.

There's a bunch of interesting stuff here. I recommend listening to the podcast, when they put it up.

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

Spielman is funny as hell - PA is doing his best to get him to say something but he's being really good natured about things!

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"josdin00" wrote:

- They talked briefly about all the rumors floating around on the internet. Speilman said they do follow up on those rumors to see if there's anything to them.

- They're currently looking at 5 or 6 names for the 22 spot, but they have 2 or 3 names that if that guy's there, there's no question that he's the pick.

- As far as putting their draft board together, they never have more than one player at the same position with the same grade. However, they will have multiple players from different positions rated with the same grade. Then, if it falls to those players, they'll choose from them based on team need.

- If they're in a position where the best player available is a position they don't need, they'll look to trade down. If they can't, they'll take the guy, and go with it.

- It sounds like they rate players by category (opening day starter...), not by draft order

- The draft board is set. The coaches come in on Tuesday, and they'll go over reports together, and tweak the board. However, the board is pretty much set now.

There's a bunch of interesting stuff here. I recommend listening to the podcast, when they put it up.
    Thanks for the update Jos.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:

Thanks. I've been trying to take notes through the whole interview, but I don't type quick enough.

Here's the last few notes before I gave up:

- He has 6 kids at home, and at least some of them play Fantasy Football and Madden...and they're always giving him advice. I guess Speilman doesn't need to read PPO afterall. He can get the same info at home.

- They had 28 pre-draft player visits between Wed. and Thurs.

- They have 78 (I think that's the number he said) 'red dotted' players that they won't touch in the draft, either due to injury or character issues.

Jilly is offline Coach

"josdin00" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:

Thanks. I've been trying to take notes through the whole interview, but I don't type quick enough.

Here's the last few notes before I gave up:

- He has 6 kids at home, and at least some of them play Fantasy Football and Madden...and they're always giving him advice. I guess Speilman doesn't need to read PPO afterall. He can get the same info at home.

- They had 28 pre-draft player visits between Wed. and Thurs.

- They have 78 (I think that's the number he said) 'red dotted' players that they won't touch in the draft, either due to injury or character issues.
    lol...the Vikings have their own form of "PPO Hell" ;D

Here's the Speilman podcast from KFAN:

http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/MINNEAPOLIS-MN/KFAN-AM/PA041009_hr3.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=MINNEAPOLIS-MN&NG_FORMAT=sports&SITE_ID=612&STATION_ID=KFAN-AM&PCAST_AUTHOR=KFAN_AM_1130&PCAST_CAT=Sports_Radi o&PCAST_TITLE=Paul_Allen_-_KFAN_AM_1130

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast