Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Spending could continue

Posted on Thu, Apr. 06, 2006

[size=18px]Spending could continue[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

When free agency opened last month, the Vikings were an NFL-best $31 million under the $102 million salary cap. Less than a month later, Minnesota has plummeted to 11th in the league, with $13.5 million in room under the cap.

That is largely because of the addition of all-pro Steve Hutchinson's record contract for a guard. Hutchinson will count a team-high $13 million against the 2006 cap. In addition to a $6 million roster bonus and a $2 million base salary, Hutchinson has a $5 million clause that counts against this year's salary cap but won't be earned.

The new leader for salary cap room is the San Diego Chargers, with $19 million in space.

The Vikings still have plenty of room to make another high-priced acquisition, a possibility given the number of quality veterans available. With eight draft picks, including five in the first three rounds, the Vikings' rookie salary pool is expected to be about $5 million to $6 million. Teams also try to leave several million available in case of injuries to key players.

Hoag back: The Vikings bolstered their receiver corps by signing former Gustavus Adolphus star Ryan Hoag and Jimmy Redmond.

Hoag, who was cut near the end of training camp last year and spent part of the 2004 season on the Vikings' roster, has been working out in Orlando, Fla., with noted trainer Tom Shaw. Originally drafted with the last pick in the 2002 NFL draft, Hoag said his opportunities to play in the NFL could be running out.

To keep his dream alive, Hoag worked as a waiter at the Mall of America and even did some modeling in Orlando, Fla.

"In an ideal world, I'd play for the Vikings for the next 10 years," Hoag said. "But this could be my last shot."

Redmond has played 26 games in the NFL, all with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Schaub talk: Vice president of player personnel Fran Foley disputed a published report that the Vikings had discussed a possible trade with the Atlanta Falcons for quarterback Matt Schaub.

"There were no trade discussion talks on Monday. I can tell you that," Foley said. "Those discussions never took place."

Briefly: The Vikings are scheduling a visit with Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler.

Spending could continue

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Spending could continue

Scheduling a visit with Cutler?....does this mean we are thinking of trading up?. Or could it be just a smoke screen?

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Hopefully just a smoke screen.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingNed" wrote:
    Scheduling a visit with Cutler?....does this mean we are thinking of trading up?. Or could it be just a smoke screen?
    It could be either, but it could be just in case he falls to us.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"VikingNed" wrote:
    Cutler is going to visit with several teams. Among them the Titans, New York Jets, Detroit Lions, St. Louis Rams and Minnesota Vikings in coming weeks, according to agent Bus Cook.

Cutler will meet with several teams

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

There were no trade discussion talks on Monday. I can tell you that," Foley said. "Those discussions never took place."

Does not mean trade talks have not taken place, it just means they did not talk on Monday.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Prophet Guest

"singersp" wrote:
    Damn it, I just posted that and did a search and it didn't show up. Give me a groundhog day icon.

viking_40 is offline Rookie

And me, i did a search but didn't see this :???: sorry guys!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"viking_40" wrote:
    And me, i did a search but didn't see this :???: sorry guys!
    Its ok.

Kind of a tough one to find.

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

"With eight draft picks, including five in the first three rounds, the Vikings' rookie salary pool is expected to be about $5 million to $6 million."

That is news to me. I thought it would be much higher. Picking up a quality player would be nice but hopefully after Childress evaluates the team we have, he doesn't see the need to do so. I would welcome another signing but not just for the sake of signing another guy because we can. If we do I hope its an impact guy. This is regarding FA. Obviously there is need at QB but I hope that gets done with a trade.

[color=red]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast