Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    gpless05 is offline Starter

some stuff about Tavaris Jackson..

Hey pulled this out of Vikings.com just thought you might wanna see it...

The next guy selected was taken after a trade with the Pittsburgh Steelers. After being caught behind Matt Jones on the Arkansas depth chart Tavaris Jackson transferred to the Division I-AA Alabama State and posted very impressive offensive numbers. I have read some people compare him in sort to Donovan McNabb when he came out of Syracuse; if not so much in style, then at least in terms of where he is on his progression as a quarterback. Few people can argue the success that either of these players had in the collegiate ranks, but Jackson has some work to do before being ready to start. Head Coach Brad Childress was able to work with McNabb and turn him into one of the NFL's best and he obviously is confident he can do the same with Jackson. The need was present for the team and they got a man they coveted. Other quarterbacks were available, most notably Charlie Whitehurst out of Clemson and Brodie Croyle from Alabama but they went with Jackson. That tells me not only were they able to fill a need, but they were able to do it with the next-highest ranked player at the position on their board following the big three: Vince Young, Matt Leinart, and Jay Cutler.
    [img]http//i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/SkolPepper11/thefraycopy.jpg[/img]

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: some stuff about Tavaris Jackson..

I think McNabb is overrated. That team was stacked with talent and he still couldn't get his offense to do what they needed to do to win 3 consecutive NFC Championships. They did win the 4th but he ran out of gas in the SB or was sick and didn't get it done there either.

I may be wrong in my assessment but this year will say alot about what he really has. If he has a world class year and wins games for them I will admit I underestimated him. But until then he is just an average QB who played on a great team.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I'm not one to jump ship, (unless theres a party on the ship next to mine LOL) But I was supporting Whitehurst as a QB pick for us.

But I'll be the true fan I am, and I'll gladly welcome TJ and wish him the best of luck as a new Viking player......It will be fun watching him develope and hopefully becoming a valuable leader of our team.....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I won't fully hate on TJ until I see what he is made of.. I must admit that I was shocked when his name came up, I was fully expecting Jacobs, Whitehurst, or Broyle.. Oh well, I am not a coach, or a scout, so I will leave that decision making up to Childress and Co..

I also think it is unfair to McNabb to classify TJ and him in the same sentence. Sure McNabb needed some discipline, but he was alot further along then what TJ is right now.. Remember McNabb was a 1st rd pick, not someone that was slated to go in the 4th or 5th rds.. Hopefully he will work out for us and be a superstar in the future..

gpless05 is offline Starter

ya im just goin to sit back and watch the rookies do their thing next year ...and then later on decide to talk crap on then because wat Ultra said, the vikings organization has watched probably around a million films on all of these people.
    [img]http//i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/SkolPepper11/thefraycopy.jpg[/img]

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Article about Tavaris Jacksons Pro Day

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060324/SPORTS/603240350/1002

Former Alabama State quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, who played prep ball at Sidney Lanier, participated in throwing drills with Auburn's wideouts and tight end Cooper Wallace. His primary job was to provide good passes for the Tigers.

He did that. And more.

Jackson showed off a strong arm, hitting wideouts Devin Aromashodu and Ben Obomanu on a series of 70-yard go routes.

Several of those throws elicited coos from the crowd.

"I just let it fly," Jackson said.

Jackson answered questions from several scouts before and after his 15-minute throwing session. Many of them stemmed from his arrest last week for disorderly conduct outside the Rose Supper Club on Highland Ave.

"It was a one-time thing, and it was dumb on my part," Jackson said. "I hope (the scouts) dig into my background because they'll all see I come from a good family. I can't be out there doing what everyone else does. The spotlight is on me all the time. I'll be staying in the house for a while."

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

oddmanout22287 is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Article about Tavaris Jacksons Pro Day

"skum" wrote:
    http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060324/SPORTS/603240350/1002

Former Alabama State quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, who played prep ball at Sidney Lanier, participated in throwing drills with Auburn's wideouts and tight end Cooper Wallace. His primary job was to provide good passes for the Tigers.

He did that. And more.

Jackson showed off a strong arm, hitting wideouts Devin Aromashodu and Ben Obomanu on a series of 70-yard go routes.

Several of those throws elicited coos from the crowd.

"I just let it fly," Jackson said.

Jackson answered questions from several scouts before and after his 15-minute throwing session. Many of them stemmed from his arrest last week for disorderly conduct outside the Rose Supper Club on Highland Ave.

"It was a one-time thing, and it was dumb on my part," Jackson said. "I hope (the scouts) dig into my background because they'll all see I come from a good family. I can't be out there doing what everyone else does. The spotlight is on me all the time. I'll be staying in the house for a while."
    70 yards?! Holy poo! I think when I go to sleep tonight I will have dreams of 70 yard td passes from Jackson to Williamson...
    PM me if you'd like a sig.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I think McNabb is overrated. That team was stacked with talent and he still couldn't get his offense to do what they needed to do to win 3 consecutive NFC Championships. They did win the 4th but he ran out of gas in the SB or was sick and didn't get it done there either.

I may be wrong in my assessment but this year will say alot about what he really has. If he has a world class year and wins games for them I will admit I underestimated him. But until then he is just an average QB who played on a great team.
    That team barely had any offensive talent though. They had Westbrook and a decent offensive line, but their best receiver was Freddie Bitchell for crying out loud. Their receiving corps sucked until TO got there.

briboy75 is offline Asst. Coach

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

i disagree with you... how many teams get to the nfl championship 4 years in a row?

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"briboy75" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

i disagree with you... how many teams get to the nfl championship 4 years in a row?
    None!

Because its called the Super Bowl now, not the NFL Championship! :lol:

I know you meant NFC Championship. :razz:

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast