Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Some bigwigs need to nail this draft to keep their jobs

I actually think they outline their needs.. but do a draft board and come draft day... Compare the need to the value board..

Then if the need fits the value.. take he need, if not take the player with the most value at that spot..
    (BPA)...

that's how their all on the same page last year.. as well as if, neither need fits value or value is at a position of no need but have a player in mind..

That's when they trade down, get the player and pick up more picks..

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Marr,
    These guys just won't stop trying to prove you wrong. First yahoo, now espn has turned their back on you.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=williamson_bill&id=3335750

Brad Childress, coach, Minnesota Vikings: Picking 17th, Minnesota will not be able to do anything about helping the passing game in 2008. Childress could take Louisville quarterback Brian Brohm, who is seemingly falling down boards. But the Vikings might be better served looking at Michigan's Chad Henne or Delaware's Joe Flacco in the second round since a rookie quarterback is not going to save Childress's job this year. A smart move could be to try to grab Florida defensive end Derrick Harvey, who might be gone by No. 17 after a terrific pro day. Defensive end is a big need for the Vikings. Harvey could make a decent defense better.
    Take a real close look at the article and how it is written.....

Lane Kiffin, coach, Oakland Raiders: Kiffin does have a chance to get a fine player with Oakland picking No. 4.
    Anyone on here want to believe that Kiffin is drafting this year or had any say in the draft?

Comeon Kevon.
    When have you ever seen me get on a soap box about something that wasn't true.
    Face the facts, we have a organization that doesn't include a GM but Spielman acts like one.
    This article isn't written to point out who runs the draft but rather who's on the hot seat if the draft doesn't provide immediate impact.

Notice the two GM's in the article.

;D
    ;D ;D
    Just though it was funny that you were like ESPN had it right and yahoo had it wrong and then.....
    Espn comes out with this crap.

Here's what I believe happens at draft time....
    Childress tells the Draft team what he needs, what he is looking for and the direction the team is moving in. The draft team starts reviewing tapes and atteding games. They come back to childress with there list of players meeting his needs. At the same time they bring additional players to the table that are can't miss talents outside of the positions mentioned. This goes on until the combine, they all go to the combine and
    get a good look at players on their list and a feel for the drafting order. They add the players expected to go in the first 2 rounds( you never know who may slide or whose stock may jump up). After the draft they review and review and review fixing they draft boards together.
    THey create a list of 30 players they wish to bring in for personal visits and some they plan to travel to see on their pro-days. Come draft day they move as
    a unit but Childress has the say on what ingredients goes
    into his pot. The scouts aren't a GM they can't force a player on the team. I think Childress wholes their opinions in high regards and by the Draft they have already sorted out the confusion of what players they Want, Would love to have and would jump on if they are still around.

Kevon, that is pretty dam close to the way I think it happens.
    Only difference I have with that is the scouts actually fall under Spielman and work for him.

It is his role to find the right players the coaches say they want.

Remember what the coaching staff did at the end of the season?
    They sat down and analyzed there areas and then provided that assesment to Spielman who in turn engaged his staff in fixing those issues.

First via FA and then via the draft and once more via FA (as we all know that we will see some unexpected cuts after the draft).

In short, it is Spielmans charter (job) to get the players the coaches need and even though we don't have a GM, he actually funtions like one on this staff and will be the guy on the phone calling in the picks as he has the ultimate say.

By the way, unlike the 2005 draft, if there is a dispute over a pick, the owner will step in.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Marr,
    These guys just won't stop trying to prove you wrong. First yahoo, now espn has turned their back on you.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=williamson_bill&id=3335750

Brad Childress, coach, Minnesota Vikings: Picking 17th, Minnesota will not be able to do anything about helping the passing game in 2008. Childress could take Louisville quarterback Brian Brohm, who is seemingly falling down boards. But the Vikings might be better served looking at Michigan's Chad Henne or Delaware's Joe Flacco in the second round since a rookie quarterback is not going to save Childress's job this year. A smart move could be to try to grab Florida defensive end Derrick Harvey, who might be gone by No. 17 after a terrific pro day. Defensive end is a big need for the Vikings. Harvey could make a decent defense better.

Lane Kiffin, coach, Oakland Raiders: Kiffin does have a chance to get a fine player with Oakland picking No. 4.
    Anyone on here want to believe that Kiffin is drafting this year or had any say in the draft?

Comeon Kevon.
    Face the facts, we have a organization that doesn't include a GM but Spielman acts like one.
    This article isn't written to point out who runs the draft but rather who's on the hot seat if the draft doesn't provide immediate impact.

;D
    ;D ;D
    Just though it was funny that you were like ESPN had it right and yahoo had it wrong and then.....

Childress tells the Draft team what he needs, what he is looking for and the direction the team is moving in. The draft team starts reviewing tapes and atteding games. They come back to childress with there list of players meeting his needs. At the same time they bring additional players to the table that are can't miss talents outside of the positions mentioned. This goes on until the combine, they all go to the combine and
    get a good look at players on their list and a feel for the drafting order. They add the players expected to go in the first 2 rounds( you never know who may slide or whose stock may jump up). After the draft they review and review and review fixing they draft boards together.
    THey create a list of 30 players they wish to bring in for personal visits and some they plan to travel to see on their pro-days. Come draft day they move as
    into his pot. The scouts aren't a GM they can't force a player on the team. I think Childress wholes their opinions in high regards and by the Draft they have already sorted out the confusion of what players they Want, Would love to have and would jump on if they are still around.

Only difference I have with that is the scouts actually fall under Spielman and work for him.

They sat down and analyzed there areas and then provided that assesment to Spielman who in turn engaged his staff in fixing those issues.

First via FA and then via the draft and once more via FA (as we all know that we will see some unexpected cuts after the draft).

In short, it is Spielmans charter (job) to get the players the coaches need and even though we don't have a GM, he actually funtions like one on this staff and will be the guy on the phone calling in the picks as he has the ultimate say.

By the way, unlike the 2005 draft, if there is a dispute over a pick, the owner will step in.
    Wilf didn't strike me as a football guy, I would rather him not step in and choose. However, it sounds like the relationship between the 3 heads of the team is stronger than most think.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Marr,

Comeon Kevon.

;D
    ;D ;D

Wilf didn't strike me as a football guy, I would rather him not step in and choose. However, it sounds like the relationship between the 3 heads of the team is stronger than most think.
    My guess is that he will hear all sides of the dispute and then make a decision.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12