Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

So You Want a Quarterback in the 2nd or 3rd Round?

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/23qb/23qbs.php

As you can see there were a total of 31 quarterbacks taken in either the second or third round from 1992-2006. There were some who started quite a few games and had varying degrees of success (i.e. Kordell Stewart, Jake Plummer, Brian Griese) while others have managed to bounce around the league for a long time (i.e. Todd Collins, Charlie Batch, Josh McCown) but overall the group leaves a lot to be desired. In fact, Drew Brees is the only one who developed into a great quarterback for the team that drafted him and he was the 32nd overall pick, which would be a first rounder today. Also, Brees was so disappointing his first few years that the Chargers moved on and used a Top 5 on Philip Rivers before he hit his stride.

That is 1 out of 31, which equates to about a 3% success rate.

1st Round Qbs please!

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re:So You Want a Quarterback in the 2nd or 3rd Round?

Yup I would only use a first on a QB this year

I don't want a TOTAL project QB

Want the kid to be able to come in in a year maybe 2 if Jackson moves on

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

I mentioned this in another thread that it was time to take a QB in the 1st round.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

My ideal situation

Favre comes back

We keep Jackson

Draft Qb in 1st

Favre plays and plays great.. Rookie learns.. Jackson learns more

Favre will retire.. Then it's a battle for starting spot.. Im confident in Jackson still personally.. If he screws up.. 2nd year QB gets the nod

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

No.

Same QB lineup as last year and then package up a deal with
    AD and McKinney for a franchise QB next offseason, someone that was trained on someone elses dime that shows potential. Screw the noobs, fresh out of college.

I firmly believe that RBs and WRs are a dime-a-dozen when you have a good QB and a good offensive line.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

So you want to sneak into the top 3 picks or something? That's going to take a trade that resembles the one Ditka made for Ricky Williams....

And who did you have in mind for that plan, Prophet?
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Rockmolder wrote:
    So you want to sneak into the top 3 picks or something? That's going to take a trade that resembles the one Ditka made for Ricky Williams....

And who did you have in mind for that plan, Prophet?
    I haven't got into the details yet. I'm just sick of McKinnie's laziness and of AD's fumbling and lack of developing into a well rounded back and they both have street value. Grab one of the 'big name' QBs from a not too distant past draft that is riding the pine and has shown promise and package that with a left tackle no name that gets the job done. Doable without mortgaging the future.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

kevoncox wrote:
    http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/23qb/23qbs.php

As you can see there were a total of 31 quarterbacks taken in either the second or third round from 1992-2006. There were some who started quite a few games and had varying degrees of success (i.e. Kordell Stewart, Jake Plummer, Brian Griese) while others have managed to bounce around the league for a long time (i.e. Todd Collins, Charlie Batch, Josh McCown) but overall the group leaves a lot to be desired. In fact, Drew Brees is the only one who developed into a great quarterback for the team that drafted him and he was the 32nd overall pick, which would be a first rounder today. Also, Brees was so disappointing his first few years that the Chargers moved on and used a Top 5 on Philip Rivers before he hit his stride.

That is 1 out of 31, which equates to about a 3% success rate.

1st Round Qbs please!
    That will kill Marrdro's mock draft.

My take on it:

I think it becomes more opportunistic vs. a heavy focus. That is, if a guy they believe in is reachable, you make the move to get him. I don't think we'll sell out to make the move, but maybe trade up a few spots. There is no replacement for a franchise QB, but there has to be a lot of belief in the talent scouts and coaching personnel. It is also a pretty big crapshoot, which isn't worth taking excessive risk.

If you miss out on taking one of the top QB prospects in the first round, do you go after one in rounds 2-3? In our situation, I find this less likely. Unless its a given that Favre isn't returning and they don't make a play for another proven QB, then it makes it a lot easier to invest in another project.

More likely scenario in my mind is we fall in love with somebody in round 1 that we can make a play on or we go for the later rounds (5-7) and bring in camp fodder and who knows maybe find a one in a million gem.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

David Carr is a UFA this year I believe...I've always liked him. But he is 30 now, so the clock is winding down there.

I think we have to take a shot at either one of the elites in this years draft - packaging for a move up - or do as Prophet suggested and package for a trade.

I wouldn't mind moving McKinney as I agree he appears lazy. I hesititate to move Peterson...I too weary of his fumbles, but he is an incredible talent. I think McKinney and picks would suffice, but who do we target with that? Not too many of the recent crop of pine-riders are exactly grabbinbg headlines.

I'd almost rather package some picks and try and get one of the elites this year. Hopefully Favre comes back, and we have a year to develop him under Favre. If not, we revert to 8-8 under Jackson/Rosenfels, but we keep the rookie OFF the field.

Caine

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

the issue with moving McKinnie, is what do we do at LT? We`re not exactly exploding with talent on the OLine, and late round tackles don`t come in to contribute right away usually.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast