Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    eclipse_2303 is offline Starter

Re: So Why Aren't We Signing The Top Free Agents?

"fromos" wrote:
    I've been reading up on the top free agency catches and noticed of this this top 10 list MSNBC wrote, we haven't gotten even 1 of them:
    www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11769065/

We finally got Steve Hutchinson, our only real catch yet many feel Jon Runyan, the right tackle for the Eagles, is a more important catch. We got a new kicker (Longwell from the Packers), and paid a lot for him- but the top two kickers in the league (the Patriots' Adam Vinatieri and the Colts' Mike Vanderjagt. Vinatieri) were up for sale and we got neither. We got Linebacker Leber who might not even be good enough to start, when we could have gotten Carolina's Will Witherspoon, Washington's LaVar Arrington, or 49rs Julian Peterson- some of the best the league has. And we got runningback Chester Taylor which was probably our 2nd biggest catch, but we could've gotten Edgerrin James. Not to mention there are plenty of top defensive tackles out there (Ma’ake Kemoeatu, Rocky Bernard, and Sam Adams), defensive end John Abraham, and good wide recievers David Givens from the Patriots or Antonia Bryant from Cleveland.

It seems like every article out there listing the top free agents this year do not list anyone we have signed or have been reported to be actively seeking. So what's going on here? We have the most to spend but don't seem to be persuing the biggest catches. Are they passing up these opportunities for the draft?

I don't know what you are complaining about. We just signed the best OG and FB in the entire league. 2 perrenial Pro Bowlers. A kicker that can very easily make the Pro Bowl any given year, not to mention we took them from a division opponent, Longwell is one of the most accurate kickers in the league and now he will be kicking in a dome so, I would expect Pro Bowl type numbers from him. A runningback who has about the same talent level as Edgerrin James without the wear and tear James does. Lots of people are predicting Chester Taylor to have a better year than Edge will. A linebacker that will shine in a cover 2 defense. We Re-signed our Pro Bowl kick returner in Koren Robinson, and a safety who hits harder than a rock in Willie Offord. What is to be complaining about when you look at what the rest of the division has done.

Green Bay - Nothing
    Chicago - Signed a back up QB
    Detroit - Nothing

We are clearly better than all of those teams and lets just say we win every division game. That is 6 wins where usually wed have 3 or 4. Even if we stink it up against the other 10 teams we play (which will never happen) we still got atleast 4 wins inside of the division. Now look at our schedule.

Bears (twice) - Lets say we split it, 1 win
    Packers (twice) - 2 wins
    Lions (Twice) - 2 wins
    Cardinals - 1 win
    Rams - 1 win
    Panthers - 1 loss
    Patriots - 1 loss
    Jets - 1 win
    49ers - 1 win
    Seahawks - 1 loss
    Redskins - 1 win
    Bills - 1 win
    Dolphins - 1 win

That is just my opinion on what could happen. You are potentially looking at a 12-4 record. It probably wont turn out like that, at worst your looking at a 10-6 record and a division title. Maybe 9-7 at an absolute worst. We definatly wont finish worse than we did last year so thats why I am predicting somewhere around 10-12 wins. Signing Hutchinson doesn't just help our offense it helps our defense. If we are able to run the ball and control the clock the defense stays off the field. And with the way they were getting turnovers last season we should end up around +15-+20 in that category. Brad Johnson isn't going to throw more than 14 or so INTs and our defense has always had a nose for turnovers. Not only do we get all these free agents we also get back a healthy Matt Birk. You really shouldn't be complaining when you see what the rest of the division has done thus far which is nothing.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    "ltrey33" wrote:
    If I hear this asked one more time...I am going to freak!
    Hey ltrey, why aren't we signing any more of the big names? I heard we had a lot of coin. :twisted:
    :angry5:

vikeswin2005 is offline Hall of Famer

"eclipse_2303" wrote:
    "fromos" wrote:
    I've been reading up on the top free agency catches and noticed of this this top 10 list MSNBC wrote, we haven't gotten even 1 of them:

We finally got Steve Hutchinson, our only real catch yet many feel Jon Runyan, the right tackle for the Eagles, is a more important catch. We got a new kicker (Longwell from the Packers), and paid a lot for him- but the top two kickers in the league (the Patriots' Adam Vinatieri and the Colts' Mike Vanderjagt. Vinatieri) were up for sale and we got neither. We got Linebacker Leber who might not even be good enough to start, when we could have gotten Carolina's Will Witherspoon, Washington's LaVar Arrington, or 49rs Julian Peterson- some of the best the league has. And we got runningback Chester Taylor which was probably our 2nd biggest catch, but we could've gotten Edgerrin James. Not to mention there are plenty of top defensive tackles out there (Ma’ake Kemoeatu, Rocky Bernard, and Sam Adams), defensive end John Abraham, and good wide recievers David Givens from the Patriots or Antonia Bryant from Cleveland.

It seems like every article out there listing the top free agents this year do not list anyone we have signed or have been reported to be actively seeking. So what's going on here? We have the most to spend but don't seem to be persuing the biggest catches. Are they passing up these opportunities for the draft?

I don't know what you are complaining about. We just signed the best OG and FB in the entire league. 2 perrenial Pro Bowlers. A kicker that can very easily make the Pro Bowl any given year, not to mention we took them from a division opponent, Longwell is one of the most accurate kickers in the league and now he will be kicking in a dome so, I would expect Pro Bowl type numbers from him. A runningback who has about the same talent level as Edgerrin James without the wear and tear James does. Lots of people are predicting Chester Taylor to have a better year than Edge will. A linebacker that will shine in a cover 2 defense. We Re-signed our Pro Bowl kick returner in Koren Robinson, and a safety who hits harder than a rock in Willie Offord. What is to be complaining about when you look at what the rest of the division has done.

Green Bay - Nothing
    Detroit - Nothing

We are clearly better than all of those teams and lets just say we win every division game. That is 6 wins where usually wed have 3 or 4. Even if we stink it up against the other 10 teams we play (which will never happen) we still got atleast 4 wins inside of the division. Now look at our schedule.

Packers (twice) - 2 wins
    Lions (Twice) - 2 wins
    Cardinals - 1 win
    Rams - 1 win
    Panthers - 1 loss
    Patriots - 1 loss
    Jets - 1 win
    49ers - 1 win
    Seahawks - 1 loss
    Redskins - 1 win
    Bills - 1 win
    Dolphins - 1 win

That is just my opinion on what could happen. You are potentially looking at a 12-4 record. It probably wont turn out like that, at worst your looking at a 10-6 record and a division title. Maybe 9-7 at an absolute worst. We definatly wont finish worse than we did last year so thats why I am predicting somewhere around 10-12 wins. Signing Hutchinson doesn't just help our offense it helps our defense. If we are able to run the ball and control the clock the defense stays off the field. And with the way they were getting turnovers last season we should end up around +15-+20 in that category. Brad Johnson isn't going to throw more than 14 or so INTs and our defense has always had a nose for turnovers. Not only do we get all these free agents we also get back a healthy Matt Birk. You really shouldn't be complaining when you see what the rest of the division has done thus far which is nothing.
    great post the only one i disagree with imo is ariz Man they look tough even b4 edge

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

You have to be kidding me we have been very active in FA and this is not fantasy football it is the real thing.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

"vikeswin2005" wrote:
    "eclipse_2303" wrote:
    "fromos" wrote:

Green Bay - Nothing
    Detroit - Nothing

Packers (twice) - 2 wins
    Lions (Twice) - 2 wins
    Cardinals - 1 win
    Rams - 1 win
    Panthers - 1 loss
    Patriots - 1 loss
    Jets - 1 win
    49ers - 1 win
    Seahawks - 1 loss
    Redskins - 1 win
    Bills - 1 win
    Dolphins - 1 win

great post the only one i disagree with imo is ariz Man they look tough even b4 edge

That was a tough one to choose. I feel like their offense will be as good if not a little better than our defense. But our offense will be a lot better than their defense and thats why i picked win.

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

fromos,
    I agree with you one hundred percent. We only should have targeted guys on that list. We need three DTs, a center, a wide reciever, and a RT more than anything. Its also too bad Brees signed when we still had Pep so we missed out on that because he has HOF written all over him. I hate that we've only inked thre pro-bowlers this offseason. We need these other guys instead. I can't believe we didn't throw $55 million over seven seasons, and includes $18.5 million in bonuses at Julian Peterson. Who cares that he's injury prone. He's on THE Jason Cole's MSNBC list of free agents. :tongue:

[color=red]

exactly my thoughts!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"MensaTice" wrote:
    fromos,
    I agree with you one hundred percent. We only should have targeted guys on that list. We need three DTs, a center, a wide reciever, and a RT more than anything. Its also too bad Brees signed when we still had Pep so we missed out on that because he has HOF written all over him. I hate that we've only inked thre pro-bowlers this offseason. We need these other guys instead. I can't believe we didn't throw $55 million over seven seasons, and includes $18.5 million in bonuses at Julian Peterson. Who cares that he's injury prone. He's on THE Jason Cole's MSNBC list of free agents. :tongue:
    Three DTs???? WTF are you talking about? That position is the STRENGTH of our defense...PWill, KWill, Spencer Johnson, CJ Mosely, even Darrion Scott can take snaps there...plus at DE, we have Erasmus, Udeze, Johnstone (at least we SHOULD re-sign him) and the aforementioned Darrion Scott.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

mogwai is offline Starter

if anyone else mentions arrington as being a great LB i'll puke..name recognition does not equate to a quality signing...what the hell did i say?oh yeah, arrington sucks

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Three DTs???? WTF are you talking about? That position is the STRENGTH of our defense...PWill, KWill, Spencer Johnson, CJ Mosely, even Darrion Scott can take snaps there...plus at DE, we have Erasmus, Udeze, Johnstone (at least we SHOULD re-sign him) and the aforementioned Darrion Scott.
    Cajun, you just don't get it. JASON COLE had 3 DTs on his top ten FA list and we didn't get any!!!!!!!!!! JASON COLE!!!!!!! We clearly haven't signed top free agents if they aren't on his list. Lets not forget about the Center, WR, overpaid QB, and RT on that last. We need those guys!!!! If you don't believe me ask the original poster

[color=red]

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast