Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    fromos is offline Rookie

So Why Aren't We Signing The Top Free Agents?

I've been reading up on the top free agency catches and noticed of this this top 10 list MSNBC wrote, we haven't gotten even 1 of them:
    www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11769065/

We finally got Steve Hutchinson, our only real catch yet many feel Jon Runyan, the right tackle for the Eagles, is a more important catch. We got a new kicker (Longwell from the Packers), and paid a lot for him- but the top two kickers in the league (the Patriots' Adam Vinatieri and the Colts' Mike Vanderjagt. Vinatieri) were up for sale and we got neither. We got Linebacker Leber who might not even be good enough to start, when we could have gotten Carolina's Will Witherspoon, Washington's LaVar Arrington, or 49rs Julian Peterson- some of the best the league has. And we got runningback Chester Taylor which was probably our 2nd biggest catch, but we could've gotten Edgerrin James. Not to mention there are plenty of top defensive tackles out there (Ma’ake Kemoeatu, Rocky Bernard, and Sam Adams), defensive end John Abraham, and good wide recievers David Givens from the Patriots or Antonia Bryant from Cleveland.

It seems like every article out there listing the top free agents this year do not list anyone we have signed or have been reported to be actively seeking. So what's going on here? We have the most to spend but don't seem to be persuing the biggest catches. Are they passing up these opportunities for the draft?

sirweeze is offline Starter

Re: So Why Aren't We Signing The Top Free Agents?

This isn't fantasy football. I think it's pretty needless to sign a guy like Edge, when you can find a better deal for a player like Chester Taylor, who has less miles and will play with a chip on his shoulder. I applaud the Vikings for actively seeking character guys that fit the system that Childress is looking to install. Don't be idiots like the Dan Snyders of the world who are signing guys just for the sake of signing guys.

Prophet Guest

Amazing. Put down the pipe and walk away....slowly. Either that or pass it this way so I can try to understand.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

If you'll take a look the date on that article, it says March 12th. Unless I'm mistaken, today is the 21st - that article was written 11 days ago! Half of those guys aren't available anymore...
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"sirweeze" wrote:
    This isn't fantasy football. I think it's pretty needless to sign a guy like Edge, when you can find a better deal for a player like Chester Taylor, who has less miles and will play with a chip on his shoulder. I applaud the Vikings for actively seeking character guys that fit the system that Childress is looking to install. Don't be idiots like the Dan Snyders of the world who are signing guys just for the sake of signing guys.
    I agree. We are building the team around a strategy and a scheme rather than getting all of the "best" guys. We have made 3 very good signings in Hutchinson, Taylor, and Richardson. Notice that all of these moves are important for the West Coast offense (fast RB who can catch out of the backfield, Fullback, Good o-lineman).

This isn't fricken madden where the best players give you the best team.

jmmcgorman is offline Rookie

"sirweeze" wrote:
    I do agree with this statement. However I do think that we need a little bit of leadership at the linebacker position, and should have at least interviewed with arrington. I do think it was good not to interview peterson, wanted too much money and possible re-injury with the ankle, but I do agree that it was smart to get Chester Taylor.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

i have to agree with sirweeze here. We don't really need a team with only top notch players like lavar arington, Edge, witherspoon, runyan, Brees, Lay, Milloy, Abraham, Adams, etc. we just need guys who fit our system and do the job they are asked to do. The only questionable sign IMO is leber, but i guess the coaches see somethin that i don't. We don't need to go wasting money if we don't have to.

GreenBaySlackers is offline Star Spokesman

"fromos" wrote:
    I've been reading up on the top free agency catches and noticed of this this top 10 list MSNBC wrote, we haven't gotten even 1 of them:
    www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11769065/

We finally got Steve Hutchinson, our only real catch yet many feel Jon Runyan, the right tackle for the Eagles, is a more important catch. We got a new kicker (Longwell from the Packers), and paid a lot for him- but the top two kickers in the league (the Patriots' Adam Vinatieri and the Colts' Mike Vanderjagt. Vinatieri) were up for sale and we got neither. We got Linebacker Leber who might not even be good enough to start, when we could have gotten Carolina's Will Witherspoon, Washington's LaVar Arrington, or 49rs Julian Peterson- some of the best the league has. And we got runningback Chester Taylor which was probably our 2nd biggest catch, but we could've gotten Edgerrin James. Not to mention there are plenty of top defensive tackles out there (Ma’ake Kemoeatu, Rocky Bernard, and Sam Adams), defensive end John Abraham, and good wide recievers David Givens from the Patriots or Antonia Bryant from Cleveland.

It seems like every article out there listing the top free agents this year do not list anyone we have signed or have been reported to be actively seeking. So what's going on here? We have the most to spend but don't seem to be persuing the biggest catches. Are they passing up these opportunities for the draft?

:roll: some people...

vikeswin2005 is offline Hall of Famer

1 brees -questionable high risk compared to contract w shoulder injury
    2 bentley-we have birk
    3 Kemoeatu- no dire need for dt
    4 bernard -see #3
    5 james-yeah i would have liked him too but we got a much younger rb
    and w the o line we will have might just be as effective and was MUCH
    cheaper
    6 witherspoon-yes we could have at least met with him this years draft is LOADED with lb's though
    7 givens- what the hell is he even doing up in top 10 anyways no need 4 wr
    8 runyan- would love to have him would complete our line imo
    9 adams see#3
    10 Arrington see # 6 + poss head case

So in summary imo maybe we should have gotten 1 of the lb's but like i said the draft is pretty loaded w lb's

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni

Please dont be enamoured with popular opinion. We got a pretty good group of players with the money that we spent. Be thankful and hope for the best.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast