Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    EnderVike is offline Training Camp

Re: (So far) Vikes fail to adress two pressing needs

wow we've had 1 pick... we havent gotten 2 players with our 1 pick NOOOO!
    There have been long posts about the QB situation and we dont need to rehash all that here.
    And we are already paying Shiancoe a ton and he spent most snaps blocking.
    We didnt have a "underneath" guy bc thats all we had because we had no deep guy and there were 10 people in the box taking away anything short.

And we did need a safety Sharper is aging and overatted...

aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler

I Disagree. Our QBs are set with Jackson and Frerrote. Maybe they will draft a third stringer project to replace Bollinger, but it doesn't really matter. And you can't write off the TE position simply because Shiancoe didn't have the best year, and they TEs in general weren't used in a way that translates to the box score. Childress has already stated that the TEs will be more involved in the passing game.

I think all our significant needs are filled, and our picks tomorrow will be BPA picks to add depth. We needed 'another' safety because Sharper is getting old, and is in the last year of his contract; he will be gone next year. Now we have Madieu Williams and Harper starting, with Johnson, Boulware and Frampton backing up. Frampton will probably be cut in camp.

And enough with the Tarvaris bashing. Nobody on this site has any real knowledge concerning QB development, if we did we would be coaches and scouts.

For the first time in a long time, the Vikings are securing the future before we need it.
    In the past 4 or 5 years, the Vikings have had an unreal number of safeties.
    However, this is the first time they have made a move to stop the cycle, and secure a guy who can be a solid backup now, and a solid starter for the future.

QB and TE are a need for us, but realistically, our QB need is only in a backup and our TE need isn't as great as you think it is.
    At the QB position, it would be great to grab some depth.
    It is TJ's year to make it or break it and if he doesn't pan out, the Vikings will be better off grabbing a veteran for a year or two and drafting a QB early next year to develop under that man.

As far as TE goes, I do agree that we need to be looking tomorrow at someone for depth.
    However, Shaincoe's job was largely a blocker this year with AD being so effective.
    The reason TE's are such an effective threat underneath is because most attention against the pass is put on the receivers.
    It's no secret that Rice, Wade, and Williamson didn't do the best job of getting open this year, and that is a large reason why Shaincoe didn't have the star year.

Tomorrow, I would love to see us grab a QB to compete with Brooks and Gus and to serve as a player with potential.
    In the 5th-6th round range, I would love to see us grab someone like Colt Brennan, Kevin O'Connell, Matt Flynn, or Erik Ainge.
    They are 4 QB's who have sparks of greatness and with the exception of Ainge, seem to present a real passion for the game of football.
    Some, like Brennan and O'Connell, have a chance for high reward.
    We are in the position where if a rookie QB doesn't pan out this year, then it's not a huge loss to our team and if one does, it could be a real good thing for the future.

I like our pick today.
    Tomorrow, I would like to see us address the OL, QB, RB, and TE positions (in that order).

I like prospects like the QB's I listed above, Patrick Allen comes to mind for RB's.
    I'm sure Adrian Peterson wouldn't mind taking him under his wing.
    Chad Simpson is a small school prospects who definitly intrigues me as well.
    He may be available in the 7th.
    As for the TE position, Craig Stevens is the best receiving prospect who may be available in the 5th.
    Martin Rucker from Missou, is a great look as well.

Dupa is offline Waterboy

thank you, aeeyers.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The only person who can silence Jacksons doubters is Jackson. He is going to have to do it on the field and all indications are that he is going to have every chance to do it.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I can't wait for the Paul Allen call of Gus running in the ball in the 6th game of the year and totaling himself on the goal post.
    Its pure TD celebration.

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

I would love it if Tarvaris proved me wrong...

On the other hand, I don't want to - again - be like 4-5 at mid-season and then people get on here, and write, "Give Tarvaris more time to develop...".

"StillPurple" wrote:

On the other hand, I don't want to - again - be like 4-5 at mid-season and then people get on here, and write, "Give Tarvaris more time to develop...".
    This is the 3rd year for both Tarvaris and Childress. It's pretty clear that if something doesn't work this year, they will both be gone.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Ok, don't get me wrong, I am very excited about our prospects for 2008 (I have the Vikings at nr. 7 in my NFL power rankings !).

However, I think I would be remiss in my duties if I did not mention that we have not addressed two glaring needs that need to be dealt with: QB and tight end.

All NFL teams need a good QB, and all modern NFL teams need a receiver or tight end to go "underneath"
    and create mismatches for the opposing linebackers.

I did not see us adress this so far in the draft. Instead, we draft yet another safety ??? I don't get it. How many safeties does this team need ??
    :
    Its posts like these that will have me not post in any of the draft threads for a couple of weeks.
    No matter who we choose, there will be people bitching and moaning about how we didn't use our top pick on a quarterback.
    A quarterback who wouldn't be better that TJ right away anyway.
    and TE???
    that would be the least of our concerns.
    what about OT??
    I'll keep to myself for a bit so i don't get a nice green dot , because I truly am sick of all the TJ bashers and ESPECIALLY if anyone mentions we should have traded up for ANY reciever.

[/rant]

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"StillPurple" wrote:

Billick was saying on NFLN today how Walsh figured it took about 35 games to figure out if a QB is your guy or not. 35 games, TJ has what 16? You are gonna have to give him time to develop. Or are you gonna be foaming at the mouth wanting a rookie to get some action so we can watch him learn for 3 years?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast