Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: So Confused

  1. #11
    PurpleTide's Avatar
    PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,210

    Re: So Confused

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:


    Also, you must realize that our FO is one of the best in the NFL

    You crack me up Uffda, it's a good thing I wasn't sipping my coffee when I read your reply. LOL ;D

  2. #12
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,916

    Re: So Confused

    Fair that ou guys just don't get it.
    There is a reason that we are the only team in the HISTORY of the NFL to lead the league in run defense 3 staright years. We have a rare collection of players on this team and we are wasting them. Tell the 49ers how easy it is to keep a dominant team going. It's been how many seasons of attrition?

    There is an ebb and flow to the domiance of teams and we are wasiting our Dominance era. Fix the 3 positions on offense and lets get to big dance. It takes great teams with a better overal offense roster than ours, multiple season to get over the hump.

    I'm no going to say that the FO hasn't tried this season. TJH and Weaver are great attempts. However, I find the fact that we have not targeted a RT/C and WR, alarming.

  3. #13
    KrackerJack's Avatar
    KrackerJack is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,502

    Re: So Confused

    This has been discussed in about a billion different threads.

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I really don't see a problem to be honest with you. This is the 4th season under the current staff and by now they shouldn't be in need of spending big dollars in FA to fill the roster. The team was not talent poor when he took over and they have added players all over the place via FA and the draft in the past 3 seasons. By now they should have the team they want and it is time to see it start to pay off. Personally I don't believe that the team will succeed or fail by whether they sign every big name FA but rather by the way they develop the young talent and by the strategic decisions they make on game day. I am still a believer that ultimately Childress will prove to not be a good HC because of the decisions he does make on game day and that will be his demise. I do think he has a good football mind and could be great in a FO position where long range planning is required. But the decisions made in the heat of the battle seem to give him trouble.

    In the end I hope he proves me wrong and brings the team a SB trophy. Nothing would make me happier than eating that plate of crow but I am not going to plan that meal right now.

    At any rate a lack of big name talent is not the problem for the team right now.
    Good post UffDa, I agree with just about everything, but I really have no definite opinion of Childress right now, I'm just waiting to see how the season goes.

  4. #14
    jessejames09's Avatar
    jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,233

    Re: So Confused

    To tell you the truth I think we might still pursue Holt or Harrison, the longer they stay on the market the cheaper they get. If they're willing to be Joe Horn in Atlanta and play the slot occasionally, as well as giving the young guys a shot. I think the fact that most teams haven't given him a sniff, yet, shows that they are going to have to adapt to a new role, where the aren't the guy.

  5. #15
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,144

    Re: So Confused

    "cc21" wrote:
    I am just venting and want to say how disapointed I am in what the Vikings have done thus far in the offseason. Where is the sense of urgency? We are one or two players away from contending for a superbowl and we have done nothing to fill those spots.

    Correct me if I am wrong here. Our offseason moves have been Kleinsasser with a new contract, Cedric with a new contract, and signing Sage. Wow, what greeat moves. : Dont get me wrong, I love Ced and Jimmy but lets do something else now.

    We are the exact same team as last year because God knows Childress has a love affair with Tjack so he will most likely be the starter. Even if Sage does start I do not see a great impact being made. But quite honestly, with the defense that we have and our amazing running game, if we could just get another Bernard Berrian like talent or better at reciever our quarterback would not have to be a playmaker. He would just need to make some throws and not turn the ball over and our D and Ap will take care of the rest.

    We should be going after Torry Holt. Yes he may have lost a step, but he is only 32 and still a great reciever. We have not even taken a glance at him which is absolutely ridiculous. And why have we not taken a look at Jay Cutler? (he will probably stay in Denver but atleast show an interest) If we do end up getting Percy Harvin in the draft or another reciever it will help but nothing is certain as far as draft picks and production.

    It is just frustrating to see where we are at right now and how close we are to being a great team. We have a small window of opportunity for this team to be great due to the age of many of our players. The time is now!

    Take it for what it is worth. Love it or hate it, thats my rant. Thanks for reading.
    I definitly felt this way after the first wave of good players went off the market, particularly Jason Brown. We could have easily paid him to either play Center or Gaurd. I think this would have been a move to help solidify the Offensive Line. Unfortunatly we didn't get him nor did we get Housh.

    One of main guys you forgot to mention was getting our very own Heath Farwell signed to a 3 year contract. He's our specail teams ace, he's a pro bowl specail teamer. Not only do we get him back but we get EJ Henderson and Udeze both back from season ending injuries. Between these three players its a nice boost.

    I wouldn't say Childress has a love affair with TJack, he certainly didn't when he benched after two games that were not necasarilly his fault. I think TJack has earned and worked hard to be the starting QB for this season. If he performs like dog pooh, Sage will be our QB. I expect Jackson to be the starter, considering his past experience in the offense and his "Progression".

    I agree about another playmaking WR,
    this is important for whoever our QB is to have real threats on the outside, not Bobby "I'm a slot guy" Wade.

    Too say that we have not taken a look at Holt or Culter is quite dillusional, unless you know something I don't, I'm quite certain we have taken a good look at both players. We are a NFL Orginization and Childress has mentioned numerous times that players that hit the market are all considered. From what I understand we were in the running for Culter but backed off due to character issues. As far as Holt is concerned, I would gladly take him for the right price and right year amount. If not I expect us to take a WR high in this years draft.

    Alot of people are really worried about this window of opportunity and I agree to a point. Using draft picks wisly and bringing in the right FA's can really keep a team on track. Pat Williams is probably the closest player to retirement, yet he's still under contract for 2 more seasons... Right now I think we are fine, we already have a great team, now its about executing and drafting good football players. What will be really telling this upcoming season is weather players we have drafted turn into real value as starters. Most notably Tarvaris Jackson, Sidney Rice, Tyrell Johson, John Sullivan, ect.

  6. #16
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: So Confused

    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Fair that ou guys just don't get it.
    There is a reason that we are the only team in the HISTORY of the NFL to lead the league in run defense 3 staright years. We have a rare collection of players on this team and we are wasting them. Tell the 49ers how easy it is to keep a dominant team going. It's been how many seasons of attrition?

    There is an ebb and flow to the domiance of teams and we are wasiting our Dominance era. Fix the 3 positions on offense and lets get to big dance. It takes great teams with a better overal offense roster than ours, multiple season to get over the hump.

    I'm no going to say that the FO hasn't tried this season. TJH and Weaver are great attempts. However, I find the fact that we have not targeted a RT/C and WR, alarming.
    Damn, we wasted Tarkington.
    Damn we wasted Browner. Damn we wasted ............

    Oh hell, need I go on?

    All teams lose players my friend.
    Whats your point.
    You believe we are only gonna have a chance to be competitive with those players and then when they get old or move on for a bigger contract we are toast?

    Gimme a break.
    Look at your own post.
    "Fix 3 positions on offense".
    Do you know how many years we have been were we needed to fix the whole damn team?
    Let em work.
    It will all come together.
    Maybe a few of these cats will be gone, but it will still come together.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #17
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,778
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: So Confused

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Fair that ou guys just don't get it.
    There is a reason that we are the only team in the HISTORY of the NFL to lead the league in run defense 3 staright years. We have a rare collection of players on this team and we are wasting them. Tell the 49ers how easy it is to keep a dominant team going. It's been how many seasons of attrition?

    There is an ebb and flow to the domiance of teams and we are wasiting our Dominance era. Fix the 3 positions on offense and lets get to big dance. It takes great teams with a better overal offense roster than ours, multiple season to get over the hump.

    I'm no going to say that the FO hasn't tried this season. TJH and Weaver are great attempts. However, I find the fact that we have not targeted a RT/C and WR, alarming.
    Damn, we wasted Tarkington.
    Damn we wasted Browner. Damn we wasted ............

    Oh hell, need I go on?

    All teams lose players my friend.
    Whats your point.
    You believe we are only gonna have a chance to be competitive with those players and then when they get old or move on for a bigger contract we are toast?

    Gimme a break.
    Look at your own post.
    "Fix 3 positions on offense".
    Do you know how many years we have been were we needed to fix the whole damn team?

    Let em work.
    It will all come together.
    Maybe a few of these cats will be gone, but it will still come together.
    haven`t we been saying that for the past 45 years?

  8. #18
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: So Confused

    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    I definitly felt this way after the first wave of good players went off the market, particularly Jason Brown. We could have easily paid him to either play Center or Gaurd. I think this would have been a move to help solidify the Offensive Line. Unfortunatly we didn't get him nor did we get Housh.

    One of main guys you forgot to mention was getting our very own Heath Farwell signed to a 3 year contract. He's our specail teams ace, he's a pro bowl specail teamer. Not only do we get him back but we get EJ Henderson and Udeze both back from season ending injuries. Between these three players its a nice boost.

    I wouldn't say Childress has a love affair with TJack, he certainly didn't when he benched after two games that were not necasarilly his fault. I think TJack has earned and worked hard to be the starting QB for this season. If he performs like dog pooh, Sage will be our QB. I expect Jackson to be the starter, considering his past experience in the offense and his "Progression".

    I agree about another playmaking WR,
    this is important for whoever our QB is to have real threats on the outside, not Bobby "I'm a slot guy" Wade.

    Too say that we have not taken a look at Holt or Culter is quite dillusional, unless you know something I don't, I'm quite certain we have taken a good look at both players. We are a NFL Orginization and Childress has mentioned numerous times that players that hit the market are all considered. From what I understand we were in the running for Culter but backed off due to character issues. As far as Holt is concerned, I would gladly take him for the right price and right year amount. If not I expect us to take a WR high in this years draft.

    Alot of people are really worried about this window of opportunity and I agree to a point. Using draft picks wisly and bringing in the right FA's can really keep a team on track. Pat Williams is probably the closest player to retirement, yet he's still under contract for 2 more seasons... Right now I think we are fine, we already have a great team, now its about executing and drafting good football players. What will be really telling this upcoming season is weather players we have drafted turn into real value as starters. Most notably Tarvaris Jackson, Sidney Rice, Tyrell Johson, John Sullivan, ect.
    As always, an excellent post my friend.

    Only comment I have is centered around the "Window Of Opportunity/Built to Win Now" concept that most fear.
    I for one don't think we have a organization that is building a team to win now or one that has a limited window.


    They have been pretty smart with respect to building the initial core as well as adding pieces via the draft and through the use of FA when the draft doesn't work out.

    Teams that don't follow that formula (Mangini and Browns following Belichick blueprint thread lays it out) are the ones that should worry about "Windows of Opportunity".
    At least thats my opinion.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #19
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,144

    Re: So Confused

    I agree Mardro, I've tried to explain the same thing but people are worried about players like Pat, Winny, Hutch, ect. Players getting up there in age in there 30's. As long as a Franchise can continue a fluid approach and results from the Draft and FA we can keep a competitive team. Right now the Window is prime IMO. We got a couple young guys that are going to step in as we let Sharper do and Birk left, which is fine, this is how you balance a roster so you don't age at once and loose the window.

  10. #20
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: So Confused

    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Fair that ou guys just don't get it.
    There is a reason that we are the only team in the HISTORY of the NFL to lead the league in run defense 3 staright years. We have a rare collection of players on this team and we are wasting them. Tell the 49ers how easy it is to keep a dominant team going. It's been how many seasons of attrition?

    There is an ebb and flow to the domiance of teams and we are wasiting our Dominance era. Fix the 3 positions on offense and lets get to big dance. It takes great teams with a better overal offense roster than ours, multiple season to get over the hump.

    I'm no going to say that the FO hasn't tried this season. TJH and Weaver are great attempts. However, I find the fact that we have not targeted a RT/C and WR, alarming.
    gol 'darnit, we wasted Tarkington.
    gol 'darnit we wasted Browner. gol 'darnit we wasted ............

    Oh hell, need I go on?

    All teams lose players My Sexy Little Pixie.
    Whats your point.
    You believe we are only gonna have a chance to be competitive with those players and then when they get old or move on for a bigger contract we are toast?

    Gimme a break.
    Look at your own post.
    "Fix 3 positions on offense".
    Do you know how many years we have been were we needed to fix the whole gol 'darnit team?

    Let em work.
    It will all come together.
    Maybe a few of these cats will be gone, but it will still come together.
    haven`t we been saying that for the past 45 years?
    Good point, however, this new regime hasn't been running the team for quite that long.
    ;D

    Maybe it was just the kid in me, however, back in the day we were a top run organization that was competitive and very fun to watch.
    Its been along time since I have been able to say that, with one exception, the Denny era.

    This team, is in my humblest of opinions, getting to the point were it is very damn fun to watch.
    Blame the Chiller all you want, but we have been in almost every game, the team is getting better and with a couple of rare exceptions built pretty soundly with quality starters and decent backups behind them that produce when/if a starter goes down.

    Each and every year, I see this team only getting sounder and sounder.
    Now just for a window either.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Confused
    By JTSnow in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-10-2006, 04:20 AM
  2. Confused
    By OzzieRizz in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-08-2006, 02:26 PM
  3. Confused
    By cc21 in forum Help / Suggestion Box
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-18-2006, 05:36 AM
  4. Confused..
    By ShiFtY in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-07-2005, 04:48 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •