Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Confused

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

So Confused

I am just venting and want to say how disapointed I am in what the Vikings have done thus far in the offseason. Where is the sense of urgency? We are one or two players away from contending for a superbowl and we have done nothing to fill those spots.

Correct me if I am wrong here. Our offseason moves have been Kleinsasser with a new contract, Cedric with a new contract, and signing Sage. Wow, what greeat moves. : Dont get me wrong, I love Ced and Jimmy but lets do something else now.

We are the exact same team as last year because God knows Childress has a love affair with Tjack so he will most likely be the starter. Even if Sage does start I do not see a great impact being made. But quite honestly, with the defense that we have and our amazing running game, if we could just get another Bernard Berrian like talent or better at reciever our quarterback would not have to be a playmaker. He would just need to make some throws and not turn the ball over and our D and Ap will take care of the rest.

We should be going after Torry Holt. Yes he may have lost a step, but he is only 32 and still a great reciever. We have not even taken a glance at him which is absolutely ridiculous. And why have we not taken a look at Jay Cutler? (he will probably stay in Denver but atleast show an interest) If we do end up getting Percy Harvin in the draft or another reciever it will help but nothing is certain as far as draft picks and production.

It is just frustrating to see where we are at right now and how close we are to being a great team. We have a small window of opportunity for this team to be great due to the age of many of our players. The time is now!

Take it for what it is worth. Love it or hate it, thats my rant. Thanks for reading.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: So Confused

We have also brought in a couple of people dedicated to special teams.
    We went after TJH rather aggressively, and we were engaged in talks for Cutler.
    And we resigned Tahi.

We haven't been asleep this offseason.
    There are only a handful of big names, and we went after two of them.
    Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.
    That is the way the game is played.

I disagree about Holt, I don't think that he would bring much to the table.
    And judging from the fact that he is still without a team, I don't think I am the only one who thinks so.

You are right that we have a small window of opportunity with some of our players, but we don't have a small window of opportunity for this team.
    This team is rather young, and will continue to be good even as some players come and go.
    I am not sure what else we could really do this offseason to make a significant impact.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Here are some nice threads that might help change your mind, however, my guess is because you haven't seen a big name FA signed, you are of the mind that the sky is falling.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...?topic=51185.0

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...?topic=51127.0

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...?topic=50742.0

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...?topic=51229.0

Long story short, all teams let players go (We let 2 go).
    All teams lose thier best players to FA.
    We singed most of ours (We let 2 go).
    As you said, we need 2 players.
    Maybe the 2 we had on the bench last year are ready.

Take a close read on these two articles.
    Might help with comprehending how teams work these days to build teams.
    Very few take the Deadskin/Dallas approach anymore.
    Just doesn't work and you wind up rebuilding every 4 years or so.
    Of course, your rebuilding effort might take longer, especially if you over pay for talent and give up all your picks to get them. :

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...?topic=51234.0

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...?topic=51233.0
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

What can we do then as of right now and in the draft to improve out team then? I havent been paying as much attention this offseason as I usually do so I probably do not know as much as most of you.

I do believe that there is a small window though for our team to be great. 2 years or so. I think we can be good for many years, but not great. We have some very significant players who are coming of age and will start to show signs of slowing down soon even if they havent as of yet.

Antoine Winfield, Pat Williams, Bryant Mckinnie, Hutch?(not sure of his age), Ben Leber(Probably easily replaced). There are only a few but they are a big part of what makes this team run.

Thanks for the links to the threads by the way. I will take a look at them. I wouldnt say that I am in the "the sky is falling" category. I am just frustrated. Maybe it isnt as bad as I initially thought though. As I said earlier, I have not been paying as close of attention as I normally do to this offseason but with the draft approaching, I am taking more of an interest in it.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I really don't see a problem to be honest with you. This is the 4th season under the current staff and by now they shouldn't be in need of spending big dollars in FA to fill the roster. The team was not talent poor when he took over and they have added players all over the place via FA and the draft in the past 3 seasons. By now they should have the team they want and it is time to see it start to pay off. Personally I don't believe that the team will succeed or fail by whether they sign every big name FA but rather by the way they develop the young talent and by the strategic decisions they make on game day. I am still a believer that ultimately Childress will prove to not be a good HC because of the decisions he does make on game day and that will be his demise. I do think he has a good football mind and could be great in a FO position where long range planning is required. But the decisions made in the heat of the battle seem to give him trouble.

In the end I hope he proves me wrong and brings the team a SB trophy. Nothing would make me happier than eating that plate of crow but I am not going to plan that meal right now.

At any rate a lack of big name talent is not the problem for the team right now.

"cc21" wrote:
    What can we do then as of right now and in the draft to improve out team then? I havent been paying as much attention this offseason as I usually do so I probably do not know as much as most of you.

I do believe that there is a small window though for our team to be great. 2 years or so. I think we can be good for many years, but not great. We have some very significant players who are coming of age and will start to show signs of slowing down soon even if they havent as of yet.

Antoine Winfield, Pat Williams, Bryant Mckinnie, Hutch?(not sure of his age), Ben Leber(Probably easily replaced). There are only a few but they are a big part of what makes this team run.
    But you see, that is the disconnect in your way of thinking with respect to what this staff is trying to do.
    They aren't just building the team to win with these guys or else.

They are building this team to win for many years to come.
    Believe it or not, every team has great players and every team eventually looses those great players.

The teams that are built the right way will have some young cat sitting on the bench ready to step in.
    If for some reason that cat doesn't produce or doesn't seem to be ready (can't get every draft pick right) they then have the lattitude to spend in FA to bring a guy in.

Teams that spend spend spend and trade away thier draft picks are the ones that never have those young cats on the bench and don't have any money each and every year as they mortaged the bank years ago (ala the 49'rs of old).

Hell, that team is still trying to recover.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"cc21" wrote:
    Thanks for the links to the threads by the way. I will take a look at them. I wouldnt say that I am in the "the sky is falling" category. I am just frustrated. Maybe it isnt as bad as I initially thought though. As I said earlier, I have not been paying as close of attention as I normally do to this offseason but with the draft approaching, I am taking more of an interest in it.
    All fans are frustrated my friend......

I wanted a Vet Center.
    Gonna be forced to watch a 2nd year man or rookie in there.
    I wanted a replacement at RT.
    Looks like we will be going with what we still have on the roster.
    I wanted some dept at DT.
    Looks like we might go into the draft looking for one of them.

Long story short, we have options (albeit they might not be the best option) on the roster already.
    We can sit back and be a bit picky.
    That my friend, is a good thing.

It wasn't so long ago that every rookie drafted made the roster and most started.
    My guess is that if we use everyone of our picks this year, 3 or 4 might make the team.
    Again, that is a good thing.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "cc21" wrote:
    All fans are frustrated My Sexy Little Pixie......

I wanted a Vet Center.
    Gonna be forced to watch a 2nd year man or rookie in there.
    I wanted a replacement at RT.
    Looks like we will be going with what we still have on the roster.
    I wanted some dept at DT.
    Looks like we might go into the draft looking for one of them.

Long story short, we have options (albeit they might not be the best option) on the roster already.
    We can sit back and be a bit picky.
    That My Sexy Little Pixie, is a good thing.

It wasn't so long ago that every rookie drafted made the roster and most started.
    My guess is that if we use everyone of our picks this year, 3 or 4 might make the team.
    Again, that is a good thing.

You've come to the right spot to "bone up" on the process used to build a team. Like you cc21 I don't go out and purchase all those magazine's with their mock drafts, instead I rely on the hard work and insight from the many members here, who do all the work and consolidate it here in the many threads. For me it's the best way to form opinions, and gather info.

Also, you must realize that our FO is one of the best in the NFL, and have faith in the approach they choose. Sure it isn't always what you think they should be doing, but in the overall scheme of building a championship team we are getting closer, and will be a perrenial contender for years because of the way we do things.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"PurpleTide" wrote:

Also, you must realize that our FO is one of the best in the NFL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast