Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32
  1. #1
    Garland Greene's Avatar
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    6,170

    Sleeper Free Agents

    There are alot of "Big Names" FA out there that we all would love to have on the team but I am curious who are some of the lesser known FA that could possibly come in and help the team, or would not surprise me if the Vikes take a look at. Rememebr we can't sign every "Big name" out there. Yes i would love it to , buit in reality we will sign a couple of guys like the Vinny Ciurciu, Shancoe (he was reallya "Big name" IMHO)

    For me I just looked at positions of where I thought we had some need or depth but feel free to to agree or disagree. And I know most of you will
    ;D

    WR

    Aaron Morehead-was looked at last year by the Vikes and is a big WR. Was hurt last year but another one like Johnson in AZ that plays behind 2 stud WR and has not been given much of a chance. Would be cheap and a chance to be a solid reserve.

    Eddie Drummond-Strictly a reserve but if the Vikes are really looking for a starting KR/PR and are not going to look at the draft, then he could be that type of player they are looking for.

    TE

    Ben Utecht- Clark and Crumpler would be the obvious choice here to go for a TE and since LJ Smith I think would of came here had he not been franchised, With tat said I don't think Clark is going anywhere which leads us to Utecht.
    He has ties here since he is local, and has done well when he has been given a chance to play. But he is a RFA so Ia m not sure what we would have to give up to sign him and would not want to see us get into a bidding war for him.

    OT

    Sean Locklear- A nice young RT that has alot of upside, and of course anyother chance to take another player form the Seahags would be good for me.

    LJ Shelton- Another Solid RT nothing great but plays solid and would help the line.

    Max Starks- Another big player for the Right side. That has been a solid RT for the Steelers. He may want more money than what he is worth however.

    OG

    Floyd "Pork Chop" Womak- He is not a stud but I just love his nickname

    DT
    Ian Scott-Another player that the Vikes had a lot of interest in before.
    A decent DT that could fill in for Pat Williams when needed.

    DE

    Justin Smith-Should he be considered in this group? I believe so. He IMHO outside of Some one like ODom could easily be the DE that gets signed by the Vikes. He is one of those players that just seems to do play well but is stuck on a team of loud mouths and criminals so he kind of gets forgotten about. Had a off year in Sacks(2) But edwards and Sith would make a nice combo at DE.

    CB

    Drayton Florence- Another player that has played solid but gets forgotten about with Cromratie and Jammer playing in the same secondary. Would make a nice complement to the secondary. Wopuld also allow Griffith to make the Move to Safety where I think they will start looking at him moving to.

    Jacques ReevesDepending upon moves in the secondary could come in and play a Nickle CB or even possibly start opposite Winfield and do a good job.

    Randall Gay-Lets all jump on the Gay band wagon shall we? Another product of the Patroits system? Could add depth to the CB position.


    S

    Yeremiah Bell-Has a history of injuries so not my choice but he does belong on this list. Was one of the more solid players for The Dolphins but hurt his achillies in the season opener this past year.
    But if he is fully healed could come in a be a solid player for someone, if not the vikes.

    Madieu Williams Solid FS that like Smith Does a decent job despite being surrounded by the team he has.



  2. #2
    dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,051

    Re: Sleeper Free Agents

    nice post
    i agree with most of them, i just dont like jaque reeves, mccaulley griffin and gordon are better than him
    i believe justin smith would be the biggest signing we can make this year.

    Pissing on the Pack since 08'

  3. #3
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Sleeper Free Agents

    Excellent post my friend.

    I guess what I struggle with the most is that most of us can't come to an agreement on what we should spend our CAP windfall on.
    And when I say windfall I am being a bit sarcastic as most seem to think we have some unlimited amount under the cap to spend this year.

    The way we sit now we seem to be right around $15 mil or so and that is based on who is currently under contract right now, and not the FA's we have leaving.


    The way most teams work it is that if a guy isn't deemed resigning (usually a backup with a front line starter signed to a big contract) then they will replace him with a low cost rookie that they draft that year that they will use as a rotation guy/groom for the future.

    Next they will look at guys out there that can act as starters were they either a) lost a starter who wanted more money or b) they are loosing a starter who isn't producing or c) a guy who they have invested time and money in that isn't getting it done and they don't have a guy in waiting to take his place.

    Here is the way I see it with respect to needs and how we should prioritize those needs and address them.
    (By the way, I tend to think that if we see any FA spending this year it will only be in 3 areas that being DE, S and WR in that order)

    DE - The staff (previous and current) have spent considerable amounts in this area trying to find a guy in the draft.
    We have a couple that seem to be of worth and a couple that seem to be a disappointment and then one that we will lose (lets hope for a short time) to illness.

    With alot of youth still to be developed will the staff be happy with waiting one more year for those guys to develop and draft a guy as well?
    I don't think so. I think they have tried to fix this position enough via the draft and must now accept that they have a immediate need for at least one Vet and should spend some bucks on a DE.

    Result (A huge amount will be spend out of our CAP in this area)

    WR - Judging by what I've seen in the last 2 years this staff has taken the approach of trying to throw investment into this position via the draft (3 Picks last year) as well as the FA market and trades.

    To most casual fans a draft pick used here would be automatic, however, again, I believe they already have thier future on the roster that will continue to develop but a quality Vet is a must to help with the development of other aspects of the team (namely QB).

    Result (To get the right guy they will spend CAP dollars on a WR here)

    S - Although this position isn't as bad as I originally thought it was gonna be next year with possibly 2 FA leaving and one spending some time suspended, it still is a position of need.

    IMHO they will have to atleast sign one FA and draft a S in this years draft.
    Now that FA could be one of our own guys if the staff wants to gamble and see if no other teams offer them a contract and then sign him to a lowball offer, however, I don't like it when teams do that.
    The guy will be unhappy, it also means that he isn't of good enough quality if no other team wants him.

    Regardless, they will have to spend money on this area either in the FA market or in 2 draft round picks.

    Result (Small portion of CAP spent on resigning one of our FA S or another S of same value)

    As to the positions of RT, TE, OG, CB, FB and DT......... I believe all of these can will be addressed in the draft as they seem to be set with thier starters and will be looking for nothing more than filling holes behind those starters with low cost guys that can fit in rotations and be groomed as future replacements for guys at those positions.

    Result (A good share of the CAP will be spent in this area)

    A couple of questions for you guys/gals out there..........

    How much do teams normally spend on thier rookie class?

    How much do teams normally spend on a WR, DE, and S?

    Bet when you start doing the math (I couldn't find anything) you will see that $15 Mil isn't gonna go very far.

    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #4
    aaeyers's Avatar
    aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    436

    Re: Sleeper Free Agents

    Just as a note, The Bengals just used their franchise tag on Andrews, so that means unless they get a long term deal done with Justin Smith, he will be hitting the open market. Personally, Smith is the one guy I really hope the Vikings push at. Smith and Berrian are by far my two favorite potential free agents.

  5. #5
    olson_10's Avatar
    olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: Sleeper Free Agents

    i like justin smith and drayton florence

    ben utecht is also gonna be a good player
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

  6. #6
    Purple D's Avatar
    Purple D is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    290

    Re: Sleeper Free Agents

    I don't think Utecht is going to be that good.
    I am just going on my opinion though.
    Four score and seven years ago, Brad Childress has brought upon this team, a west coast offense, conceived in San Francisco, and Dedicated to be a Kick jiggly butt offence. We are now engaged in an NFL season, testing weather that offense can get going or that our defense can long endure.

  7. #7
    Garland Greene's Avatar
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Sleeper Free Agents

    "aaeyers" wrote:
    Just as a note, The Bengals just used their franchise tag on Andrews, so that means unless they get a long term deal done with Justin Smith, he will be hitting the open market. Personally, Smith is the one guy I really hope the Vikings push at. Smith and Berrian are by far my two favorite potential free agents.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3251662

    Cincinnati Bengals guard Stacy Andrews became the third NFL free agent to receive the franchise designation.

    To keep him from leaving via free agency, the Bengals officially Monday gave Andrews a one-year, $7.455 million contract offer. Any team wanting to pull him away from the Bengals would have to give up two first-round picks.

    I think we pretty much have to go after him at this point. Some people do not see him as "Big name" but he is probably the most reachable player out there at DE.

    From looking around at various boards they seem to think that Smith is as good as gone in Cincy. I know teh Defense took a lot of heat and alot of people questioned the coaching staff, and ownership so maybe he will see what else is out there.

  8. #8
    Garland Greene's Avatar
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Sleeper Free Agents

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Excellent post my friend.

    I guess what I struggle with the most is that most of us can't come to an agreement on what we should spend our CAP windfall on.
    And when I say windfall I am being a bit sarcastic as most seem to think we have some unlimited amount under the cap to spend this year.

    The way we sit now we seem to be right around $15 mil or so and that is based on who is currently under contract right now, and not the FA's we have leaving.


    The way most teams work it is that if a guy isn't deemed resigning (usually a backup with a front line starter signed to a big contract) then they will replace him with a low cost rookie that they draft that year that they will use as a rotation guy/groom for the future.

    Next they will look at guys out there that can act as starters were they either a) lost a starter who wanted more money or b) they are loosing a starter who isn't producing or c) a guy who they have invested time and money in that isn't getting it done and they don't have a guy in waiting to take his place.

    Here is the way I see it with respect to needs and how we should prioritize those needs and address them.
    (By the way, I tend to think that if we see any FA spending this year it will only be in 3 areas that being DE, S and WR in that order)

    DE - The staff (previous and current) have spent considerable amounts in this area trying to find a guy in the draft.
    We have a couple that seem to be of worth and a couple that seem to be a disappointment and then one that we will lose (lets hope for a short time) to illness.

    With alot of youth still to be developed will the staff be happy with waiting one more year for those guys to develop and draft a guy as well?
    I don't think so. I think they have tried to fix this position enough via the draft and must now accept that they have a immediate need for at least one Vet and should spend some bucks on a DE.

    Result (A huge amount will be spend out of our CAP in this area)

    WR - Judging by what I've seen in the last 2 years this staff has taken the approach of trying to throw investment into this position via the draft (3 Picks last year) as well as the FA market and trades.

    To most casual fans a draft pick used here would be automatic, however, again, I believe they already have thier future on the roster that will continue to develop but a quality Vet is a must to help with the development of other aspects of the team (namely QB).

    Result (To get the right guy they will spend CAP dollars on a WR here)

    S - Although this position isn't as bad as I originally thought it was gonna be next year with possibly 2 FA leaving and one spending some time suspended, it still is a position of need.

    IMHO they will have to atleast sign one FA and draft a S in this years draft.
    Now that FA could be one of our own guys if the staff wants to gamble and see if no other teams offer them a contract and then sign him to a lowball offer, however, I don't like it when teams do that.
    The guy will be unhappy, it also means that he isn't of good enough quality if no other team wants him.

    Regardless, they will have to spend money on this area either in the FA market or in 2 draft round picks.

    Result (Small portion of CAP spent on resigning one of our FA S or another S of same value)

    As to the positions of RT, TE, OG, CB, FB and DT......... I believe all of these can will be addressed in the draft as they seem to be set with thier starters and will be looking for nothing more than filling holes behind those starters with low cost guys that can fit in rotations and be groomed as future replacements for guys at those positions.

    Result (A good share of the CAP will be spent in this area)

    A couple of questions for you guys/gals out there..........

    How much do teams normally spend on thier rookie class?

    How much do teams normally spend on a WR, DE, and S?

    Bet when you start doing the math (I couldn't find anything) you will see that $15 Mil isn't gonna go very far.

    Thanks Marr and great points as well, Yes it would be nice to spend, spend, spend, But you have to be smart about it as well. I think people would be more upset to see us get a great team and then have to loose several keys players to get under the cap. sometimes whetehr we want to or not we have to work with what we have but buikd by strength in numbers.

  9. #9
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Sleeper Free Agents

    "Garland" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    Just as a note, The Bengals just used their franchise tag on Andrews, so that means unless they get a long term deal done with Justin Smith, he will be hitting the open market. Personally, Smith is the one guy I really hope the Vikings push at. Smith and Berrian are by far my two favorite potential free agents.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3251662

    Cincinnati Bengals guard Stacy Andrews became the third NFL free agent to receive the franchise designation.

    To keep him from leaving via free agency, the Bengals officially Monday gave Andrews a one-year, $7.455 million contract offer. Any team wanting to pull him away from the Bengals would have to give up two first-round picks.
    I think we pretty much have to go after him at this point. Some people do not see him as "Big name" but he is probably the most reachable player out there at DE.

    From looking around at various boards they seem to think that Smith is as good as gone in Cincy. I know teh Defense took a lot of heat and alot of people questioned the coaching staff, and ownership so maybe he will see what else is out there.
    I hope you mean Smith and not Andrews.

    Not sure if Andrews is that much of a need that we should use two first round picks on him.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #10
    Garland Greene's Avatar
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Sleeper Free Agents

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    Just as a note, The Bengals just used their franchise tag on Andrews, so that means unless they get a long term deal done with Justin Smith, he will be hitting the open market. Personally, Smith is the one guy I really hope the Vikings push at. Smith and Berrian are by far my two favorite potential free agents.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3251662

    Cincinnati Bengals guard Stacy Andrews became the third NFL free agent to receive the franchise designation.

    To keep him from leaving via free agency, the Bengals officially Monday gave Andrews a one-year, $7.455 million contract offer. Any team wanting to pull him away from the Bengals would have to give up two first-round picks.
    I think we pretty much have to go after him at this point. Some people do not see him as "Big name" but he is probably the most reachable player out there at DE.

    From looking around at various boards they seem to think that Smith is as good as gone in Cincy. I know teh Defense took a lot of heat and alot of people questioned the coaching staff, and ownership so maybe he will see what else is out there.
    I hope you mean Smith and not Andrews.

    Not sure if Andrews is that much of a need that we should use two first round picks on him.
    ;D
    D'oh! Yeah I meant Smith Thanks
    Marr knew you would point out my mistake ;D

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Four Free Agents to wish for
    By Purple Floyd in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 05-20-2011, 11:45 AM
  2. Free agents not free, as first week shows
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-10-2008, 03:23 PM
  3. TOP FREE AGENTS AVAILABLE
    By BleedinPandG in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: 01-08-2008, 03:14 PM
  4. The sleeper in Free Agency is...... CHRIS HOPE
    By Jordan in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-20-2006, 03:45 AM
  5. Free Agents
    By slinkey2 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 11:22 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •