skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Skums view on the draft

So the Vikings traded away their number 17 pick and 2 picks in the third round for the 2008 NFL draft that leaves the following picks.

With the 47th pick the Vikings are likely to select an offensive tackle, if you look at the depth after Bryant McKinnie and Ryan Cook at the tackle positions it currently consist of Marcus Johnson, Chase Johnson and if the few times that McKinnie was not availible last year, Artis Hicks filled in at the left tackle position.

Bryant McKinnies trial will likely decide what kind of suspension(if any) Bryant McKinnie gets, remember Bryant pleded not-guilty to the charges he is facing, if he is in fact found not guilty, he wont face a suspension, however right now i will put my money on a 2-4 game suspension for McKinnie.

That leaves the Vikings with Artis Hicks protecting Tarvaris Jacksons blindside for 4 games to start the season.
    While Chase Johnson is considered a left tackle, he hasnt played enough, if any to be considered a viable solution for 1/4th of the season at LT.

So what is availible at the tackle position around th 47th pick.

Anthony Collins from Kansas is a junior coming out, while he is a nice prospect, the knock on him is that he might not have the required experience enough the step in a start the season. Collins played left tackle for Kansas in 2007 and was a right tackle before that, that gives him nice adability on the offensive line.

Duane Brown is a former tight end, moved right tackle and then later left tackle at Virginia Tech, his past as tight end gives him a natural atheltic ability, however from an offensive tackle standpoint he still needs to improve on proper use of his hands and such, to avoid getting holding calls and getting beat.

The Vikings will likely hope that players like Sam Baker from USC or Gosder Cherilus from Boston College will fall right in their lap, making their pick almost a no brainer, however right now that seems highly unlikely

While offensive tackle is the biggest need on the team, the Vikings could look away from need and draft best player availible as linebacker and runningback, plus defensive end proberly right now seems the only places that the Vikings have excellent depth.

Watch out for guys like Dustin Keller, TE from Purdue, WRs Malcolm Kelly from Oklahoma and Andre Caldwell from Florida.

Defensive Backs Terrell Thomas from USC and Antoine Cason from Arizona is also guys who projects as nice cover 2 cornerbacks, Terrell Thomas could also project as a safety at the next level. Also of course Reggie Smith from Oklahoma would make very good sense at 47.

While would potentially could pick a starting player in the second round, coming down to the 4th round you start drating for depth at positions, here the Vikings likely will target best player availible and likely wont pick a player at the same position that they picked at 47.

The Vikings could look at quarterbacks John David Booty from USC and the development guy out of small school San Diego Josh Johnson, Johnson provides more atheltic ability on the run, where Booty is more a classic drop back passer.

If the Vikings dont adress their offensive tackle need in the second round players like UTEPs O'Neill Cousins and Toledos John Greco could be possible solutions. A guy like Carl Nicks from Nebraske is a huge guy at almost 350 punds, so he projects as a left tackle in the pros, Nicks only is a one year starter at Nebraska so that is a little of a concern with experience, he might also play guard in the pros.

The Vikings have hosted a pre draft visit with John Greco, so their might be an extended interrest in picking him in a spot like this.

Cornerback Chevis Jackson from LSU have provides psysical ability along with nice coverage, so he would fit well in a cover 2 defense, Jackson can also return kicks, but lacks elite speed to break away and bring it to the house.

Widereciever Dexter Jackson from Applachian State is one of the fastest players in the draft, he is an outstanding return man who likely wont see many snaps on offense, due to his size, he is only 5'10, the size also limits his blocking ability down field.

Considiring Pat Williams age along with the loss of Spencer Johnson in free agency, defensive tackle might be an area of concern for the Vikings, who did sign Ellis Wyms and Kenderick Allen if free agency, however Allen hasnt played since 2006 and Ellis Wyms might play more on LDE instead of inside.

Defensive Tackles Ahtyba Rubin from Iowa State and Frank Okam from Texas might be availible in the 5th round

Rubin weighs in at 315, given him nice size for the position in a 4-3 defense, some reports even compare him to Pat Williams, the Vikings would be lucky to get Rubin in the low 5th and he might be a guy to trade up for of even pick in the 4th. Okam is huge and would project better as nose tackle in a 3-4 however the Vikings could be facing some 3 down linemen situations where a huge guy in the middle could be used this year.

Fullbacks Peyton Hillis and Owen Schmitt might also be availible here, alot of people are hyped on Schmitt but i have a feeling that Hillis will be the better pro, Hillis blocked for Felix Jones and Darren McFadden at Arkansas and has a part in their success. Also watch out for LSU back Jacob Hester, however he will likely go higher.

Also watch out for Alabama safety Simeon Castille here.

170 & 182

The sixth round could contain a quarterback, we could hope that Oregon QB Dennis Dixon could be availible here. Also watch out for Kentucky TE Jacob Tamme and Boston College safety Jamie Silva, who is a standout special teamer at BC.

I know little about Golden Gopher Dominique Barber, however a hometown guy might be a popular pick for the locals.

The sevent round might contain quarterback Colt Brennan along with Center Fernando Verlasco from my Georgia Bulldogs.

My mock draft

47. Anthony Collins, OT Kansas
    117. Chevis Jackson, CB LSU
    150. Ahthyba Rubin, DT Iowa State
    170. Dennis Dixon, QB Oregon
    182. Jamie Silva, S Boston College
    209. Fernando Verlasco, C Georgia

This would be close to ideal in my view

Sorry for the typos and good draft to everyone.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Skums view on the draft

As always Skum, top shelf stuff my friend.
    Just a couple of comments/observations (nothing grammar or spelling related from me
    ;D)

While Chase Johnson is considered a left tackle, he hasnt played enough, if any to be considered a viable solution for 1/4th of the season at LT.
    Cook didn't play much at RT but the coaching staff did a pretty good job of getting him ready to do that last year. Sure he had problems and needed help from the TE at times but so did McKinnie.

I for one think that if the coaching staff feel he can do the job they will get him ready to do the job.
    That fact alone lets them have the ability to take a better player at another position with 47 if one falls.

I for one won't be suprised at all to see them take a S, DT, or OL at 47.

The Vikings have hosted a pre draft visit with John Greco, so their might be an extended interrest in picking him in a spot like this.
    Somehow I missed him.

Because of the Allen deal I've completely lost focus on who the Vikes (and all the other teams for that matter) have brought in for visits.

Ahtyba Rubin from Iowa State and Frank Okam
    I have my value board at home but I am sure I have Okam slated to go sooner than this but I do like Rubin here, probably based off of the same article you read comparing him to Phat Pat.
    ;D

Anyway, excellent post and I could live with this by the way except for Dixon...........
    ;D

My mock draft

47. Anthony Collins, OT Kansas
    117. Chevis Jackson, CB LSU
    150. Ahthyba Rubin, DT Iowa State
    170. Dennis Dixon, QB Oregon
    182. Jamie Silva, S Boston College
    209. Fernando Verlasco, C Georgia
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Nice Work Man!!
    Good stuff there.

I so wish we didn't have that big ????? at OT, cuz I'd really rather get a Doucet or KElly or Laws or maybe, Reggie Smith in the 2nd.
    Laws being my top choice if hes still there.
    Another local kid who overachieves by never stopping...constant motor running.
    Just like Robison and Allen.
    Putting him into the rotation with the Williams at DT could bring as much pressure to the line as adding Allen did.
    Imagine this lineup on 3rd and long...

Robison

Allen

Laws

Edwards

So, a bit off topic perhaps, but I was trying to remember when Hicks played LT for us...and how did he do?
    I don't recall really missing McKinnie all that much.
    My memory is fuzzy today, but, he played all right, didn't he?
    Maybe, the answer there is already on the team...?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

He has played there before but I don't remember how he did.
    I do remember watching him try to play gaurd though and he sucked.

Think Chase Johnson...... ;D

Additionally, I am thinking we might see them use thier number 2 pick and both 6's to target Brian Brohm in the 2nd if he falls that far.

Brohm was on Sirius radio today saying how disappointed he was about the Vikes giving up the 17th as he really got the fealing they were interested in him.

Maybe the still are and that is why they held onto that second so hard.
    ;D

(Marrdro makes all Brohm crotchsniffers ears perk up.
    )
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

very nice work my friend, i like all the picks except ONE. And that is the CB pick in the 4th Rd. I dont like the idea of drafting a corner that early, we cant cramp the progess or MM and Gordon, i could see us taking one in the 6th/7th round for BPA, but not that early.

But what i would like to see if all the big name 2nd round OTs are off the board is to trade down, maybe get one of our 3rds back.

But like i said before, good work.

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

I would rather take Early Doucet at 47 (many drafts have him falling past us even) and then hope that Carl Nicks is still there at 117.
    Rubin or Okam would be nice at #150.
    The rest I haven't looked at much, but will do so as the draft shakes out.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

"cajunvike" wrote:
    I would rather take Early Doucet at 47 (many drafts have him falling past us even) and then hope that Carl Nicks is still there at 117.
    Rubin or Okam would be nice at #150.
    The rest I haven't looked at much, but will do so as the draft shakes out.
    you have got to be kidding me on that one, in most mocks he is rarely there at our pick in the 2nd round

keep sniffing Early' crotch LMAO
    ;D ;D

Pissing on the Pack since 08'