Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Signing Draft Picks

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Rookie signings on the horizon[/size]

Posted by Sean Jensen on July 8, 2008 10:08 AM
    twincities.com

With players expected to report in a little more than two weeks, the Vikings should begin signing their six rookies in the very near future....
    I hated that article. No quotes. No evidence at all that signings are actually close. Pure speculation. Sure, they are probably right, but I want to see some tangible progress being made.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

yeah, i never understood why it takes soooo long for teams to even start this process... NBA draftee's are signed within in days of the draft...

the possible rookie wage scale will make it easier to sign players... this is ridiculous!!!... just sign them already!!!

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

It makes me mad because in the case of Mckinnie, I wish they would just get it done with and focus on working hard in training camp, not how much money their gonna get.

Thank you Josdin for the sig

I've got to think that it's the agents that are driving the whole process by trying to max out the contracts.
    Their leverage goes up as training camp approaches, so they can theoretically get a better deal if they wait.
    There's also the possibility that they don't want to have the guy behind them get a better deal and make them look bad to future players.
    If they wait until that guy is signed they have that working for them too.

So basically, I don't think the teams or players have much interest in waiting or holding out.
    The agents cause those problems.

Won't matter this year, as contracts for guys after the first round are no problem.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

"Overlord" wrote:
    I've got to think that it's the agents that are driving the whole process by trying to max out the contracts.
    Their leverage goes up as training camp approaches, so they can theoretically get a better deal if they wait.
    There's also the possibility that they don't want to have the guy behind them get a better deal and make them look bad to future players.

So basically, I don't think the teams or players have much interest in waiting or holding out.

Won't matter this year, as contracts for guys after the first round are no problem.
    I think the bigger problem is that the player has nothing to lose, and the team has everything to lose. The player is going to be a millionaire no matter what. It would help his development to get in camp early, but given that he might be a bust anyways, you might as well holdout and get as much money as possible.

The team on the other hand has invested heavily in the player simply by drafting him. The team in biggest need has to pay most and is most likely to have a holdout, which they can't afford because they suck so badly.

Something has to be done to penalize the player that holds out.
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"V" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:

I think the bigger problem is that the player has nothing to lose, and the team has everything to lose. The player is going to be a millionaire no matter what. It would help his development to get in camp early, but given that he might be a bust anyways, you might as well holdout and get as much money as possible.

The team on the other hand has invested heavily in the player simply by drafting him. The team in biggest need has to pay most and is most likely to have a holdout, which they can't afford because they suck so badly.

Realistically, I think that the players are penalized.
    The number one penalty is losing practice time and your spot on the depth chart.
    Players these days have to be well aware of situations like those in Cleveland last year with Brady Quinn.
    There's also their desire to just go out and play, and to be part of the team.

In contrast, I don't think they think nearly as much about the money.
    Yeah, they want to get a good deal and they want to make as much as possible.
    But a guy picked #12 doesn't think, "I better get my $6.3 million guaranteed or I'm sitting out."
    For the most part I think the players are ignorant as to whether they got a good or bad deal.
    They'll probably believe what their agent tells them until they hear different in the papers.

So I really think the agents drive the whole process.
    They know whether they're getting a good deal or a bad one.
    They have nothing to lose if their player doesn't show up on time.
    They're the ones that are truly in it for the money.
    Unfortunately, I don't think you can penalize the agent unless there were some big press campaign by players to let rookies know that they shouldn't sign with agents that hold their players out.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

god why can't some of these guys just be thankful that they got it this far in life to play their favorite sport for money honestly i would rather play no matter what the contract its a shame to the game

"Overlord" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:

Realistically, I think that the players are penalized.
    The number one penalty is losing practice time and your spot on the depth chart.
    Players these days have to be well aware of situations like those in Cleveland last year with Brady Quinn.
    There's also their desire to just go out and play, and to be part of the team.

In contrast, I don't think they think nearly as much about the money.
    Yeah, they want to get a good deal and they want to make as much as possible.
    But a guy picked #12 doesn't think, "I better get my $6.3 million guaranteed or I'm sitting out."
    For the most part I think the players are ignorant as to whether they got a good or bad deal.
    They'll probably believe what their agent tells them until they hear different in the papers.

So I really think the agents drive the whole process.
    They know whether they're getting a good deal or a bad one.
    They have nothing to lose if their player doesn't show up on time.
    They're the ones that are truly in it for the money.
    Unfortunately, I don't think you can penalize the agent unless there were some big press campaign by players to let rookies know that they shouldn't sign with agents that hold their players out.
    You are way too smart to have only 640 posts.
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

My guess is that if Birk had been there at the OTA's to show him where to sign on the dotted line this deal would have already been done. Damn Birk

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

no its chilly's fault...
    FIRE CHILDRESS!!!!!
    (and cut tjack)
    (and sign Favre)

Randy Moss

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast