singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Sidney Rice has Mom in mind

[size=13pt]Rookie receiver has Mom in mind[/size]

Rice opts for NFL early to help family

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

Article Launched: 05/06/2007 12:01:00 AM CDT

A lot of college underclassmen have millions of reasons to enter the NFL draft.

Sidney Rice needed just two.

"My mom and my family situation," said the Vikings' second-round draft choice, and in that order....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Sidney Rice has Mom in mind

It won't let me read the article. But from what you posted it sounds like he is a great person. I'm glad to hear that he's helping his family out.
    "God has blessed me tremendously. I'd be a fool to complain."
    "From what I understand, the coaches will put the best 11 on the field."
    -Tyrell Johnson

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

This is the story that has me liking Sidney here initially. He had to make that tough choice to enter the draft very early because of his mom.

It shows responsibility and commitment that I hope and believe will be transferred to the field for the Vikings.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

tclawmen is offline Starter

Call me a skeptic but what did you expect Rice to say, or better yet, what did you think Rice's agent would tell him to say, "I entered the NFL draft because my education really does not mean anything to me and I only went to school so I could get drafted into the NFL and make millions of dollars" I fully admit, I dont know Mr. Rice, and it would be great if what he is saying were to be true, but, it just seems to me, every player that enters the draft early says the same thing. I just want to help my mom of my auntie or grandmother or whomever and the reality is the only thing they are interested in helping is their personal bank account. I want to be clear here, I am not slamming Mr. Rice. I am only saying, before you enshrine this guy into sainthood, lets give him a couple of years to prove his character and make good on his comments.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"tclawmen" wrote:
    Call me a skeptic but what did you expect Rice to say, or better yet, what did you think Rice's agent would tell him to say, "I entered the NFL draft because my education really does not mean anything to me and I only went to school so I could get drafted into the NFL and make millions of dollars" I fully admit, I dont know Mr. Rice, and it would be great if what he is saying were to be true, but, it just seems to me, every player that enters the draft early says the same thing. I just want to help my mom of my auntie or grandmother or whomever and the reality is the only thing they are interested in helping is their personal bank account. I want to be clear here, I am not slamming Mr. Rice. I am only saying, before you enshrine this guy into sainthood, lets give him a couple of years to prove his character and make good on his comments.

But still. He could had taken at least his Jr. year in college, and he would have had a pretty good chance of moving to the first round -> more $

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

I wish he would have said something about his love for the game...but mommy is a good reason too I guess.

tclawmen is offline Starter

I agree Cogitans, Rice has the skills where if he had he stayed in school, he might have moved up into the first round. However, had he returned and played another year in school and had he taken a hit that breaks his leg of worse, then he never cashes a single NFL paycheck. All I am saying is he felt he had the payday in front of him, and he took it. That does not make him a bad person. All I am saying is the reason he uses for coming out early is overused and it gets old.

Axel is offline Training Camp

Hey, Training Camp!

Dude, I'm with you, as a local here, a living South Cackeylackie Gamecocks fan.

A rich man desires the same thing a poor man desires which is wealth and power.
    But a rich man is called greedy while a poor man is called needy.

The Gamecock nation desperately wanted Sidney to stay.
    Think about it.
    He was recruited by Lou and Skippy Holtz, and suddenly found himself coached by Steve Spurrier.
    He could have been a mega-superstar in his third year here, with a higher draft pick next year.

That's where I doubt the "ka-ching" thing with Sidney.
    He gave up more than he gained.