Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Schutz is offline Team Alumni

Re: Should the Vikings trade up, down, or stay put with their No.17 pick?

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Stay put.

Based on team needs ahead of us, there will be a couple of players there that could/should provide immediate help.

Kenny Philips - Best S in the draft
    Merling - Take him regardless of his herrnia.
    He'll be ready by camp
    Chris Williams - Either Williams or Cherilus will be there.

If one of these guys aren't there then something happened at the top of the draft that will allow for someone else to fall i.e. Harvey, Clady, Baker etc.
    You still think we need a Safety with the moves we made? interesting my friend
    You know I always look big picture at things like this.
    Lets not forget that we need at least one more on the roster (we carry 5 and have 4 under contract) to not only add depth but to develop for a year or two behind Sharper.

Now we could get that guy next year but with a guy like Phillips sitting there at 17 and nothing better to take I would snag him in a tic.

Of course Merling would have to be gone for me to think anything other than DE at this spot as I see either him or Campbell as really good fits in our scheme.
    17 might be just a bit high for Campbell IMHO (as connvinced by some of you
    ;D)
    I would rate what we should draft at #17 like this

DE
    QB
    OL
    CB
    S

After all the guys we brought in no way we need to worry about depth at Safety right now.
    I'd like to see a DE or a trade for a DE like Peppers with our first pick but if we do neither I'd much rather see depth at QB or OL long before we use our 17 on a safety we barely have room for.

Some people may disagree with drafting a guy like Brohm, but everyone agrees QB depth is a major issue and without being able to will the DE need I would like to see another guy in the QB pen since I'm guessing BB probably isn't in our long term plans.

I would be fine with a Safety in the second our third rounds but we have more pressing needs.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

I don't think we're picking at 17 guys, espcialy if Harvey is already gone.We're in a tough spot at that pick.Hopefully we can trade down and pick up some more 2nd rounders and load up then.

All in all I want us to trade our pick for Julius Peppers, thats it.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

its way to early
    to answer this question
    depends on the situation,
    *if gholston or long some how fall try to trade up and get them, we have plenty of picks to spend
    *if harvey is on the board obviously take him, im not linking campbell at all cause he is gaining
    alot of wait, and with merling you dont know how he is gonna come off the injury it might take him awhile.
    *if all the top DEs and OTs are off the board, maybe give carolina a call and see if that jpepp deal is still on, if not, maybe go balmer with our pick.

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Moving up cost way too much. I can't see us doing it unless either of the long's or gholston slip to around 10. So 99.7% sure it won't happen.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

If we move at all it's got to be down.
    A lot of middle of the road talent this year and not a lot of "special" players.
    I wouldn't bitch if they traded it away for Peppers.

KevinK is offline Starter

I really want us to use our first round draft pick on any BPA at Saftey, QB, DE or OL. I think our talent scouts have had really good choices and will stick with that approach.
    Unless they feel that there
    are no talented players at #17.
    But some how they could find a way to use it......

I do not think Peppers is worth the risk.
    His best days are behind him. Besides last time a guy with the vegetable "Pepper" in his name wasnt exactly the team player we had hoped. (LOL!)

"KevinK" wrote:

I really want us to use our first round draft pick on any BPA at Saftey, QB, DE or OL. I think our talent scouts have had really good choices and will stick with that approach.

His best days are behind him. Besides last time a guy with the vegetable "Pepper" in his name wasnt exactly the team player we had hoped. (LOL!)
    I like your call, except for the S part. We have depth there and we do usually carry 1 more S than we currently have rostered and I assume we will draft one, but the first round is where you try and draft starters or at least impact players and a S wouldn't make an impact cuz we already have 3 good safeties so I think DE, OL, or QB would have to be the move and if they don't think any are there at 17 try and get JPepp or trade down. That's what I'd like to see...Draft a S in the later pick in the 3rd round or later...

Texanvike is offline Rookie

Honestly, I hate to sound like the average fan, but I really think we could be trading up this year.
    I just think it's odd for us to sign all these veteran backups this season.
    Teams just don't usually worry about building up so much depth in FA, before the draft.
    I think maybe they want to trade a few picks to move up somewhere in the top ten.
    Usually I would be against something like that.
    But this year is different.
    We are just a few pieces of the puzzle away from being a great team.

Or maybe there is actually some truth to the Peppers rumors?
    I love lamp.

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

"KevinK" wrote:

Y do u think Peppers is not worth the risk? because for one year he had only two sacks... that is insanity... if we could get Peppers for are 17th pick i do not see y any viking fan wouldnt want him???? want is are biggest need right now.. LDE what is Peppers LDE... every one in there brother wanted to shell out the money for j. smith but now people are calling Peppers a risk...

Peppers is a proven end and he would be playing
    next to Williams brothers... who would they not double?? i could almost guarantee over 10 sack season... i just dont get y any viking fan wouldnt want this to happen

vegasvike is offline Hall of Famer

"DustinDupont" wrote:
    "KevinK" wrote:

Y do u think Peppers is not worth the risk? because for one year he had only two sacks... that is insanity... if we could get Peppers for are 17th pick i do not see y any viking fan wouldnt want him???? want is are biggest need right now.. LDE what is Peppers LDE... every one in there brother wanted to shell out the money for j. smith but now people are calling Peppers a risk...

Peppers is a proven end and he would be playing
    next to Williams brothers... who would they not double?? i could almost guarantee over 10 sack season... i just dont get y any viking fan wouldnt want this to happen

Man I would hunt down my 3rd grade teacher and punch her in the mouth if it would help us get Peppers!!!
    I'm not speaking for every1 here, BUT a lot of us here would do anything to get Peppers in VIKING purple. Almost like a klondike bar huh?

****disclaimer***** Vegasvike does not condone nor does he endorse violence against women or 3rd grade teachers.
    Even if they did send home a bad report and dicked him out of getting more transformer toys.
    Thanks for the sig Pack93z

I love when you take breaks from plucking your unibrow and grunting/slapping to makes posts in this forum

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast