Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Should the Vikings Have Drafted Brady Quinn?

Hell NO!

As far as I'm concerned, we got the BPA at #7 and a steal it was.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"PurpleHornsOfDestruction" wrote:
    I think so. I think he was a safer pick then AP (injury is one big thing) and more of a need then RB. We got like 4 RBs. (Chester Taylor had a good season with the longest run in Vikes history with 97 yards against the defending NFC champs, Seattle, Moore
    was average and Artose Pinner and Ciatric Fason are also good second strings.

Why not:
    Because it was the smartest move for Childress' job. He invested so much faith in TJack saying he's our future that taking a QB in the first round would contradict that and be bad for his job security. Now if he started winning with him it would be ok BUT a lot of scouts said he'd be a major bust so if Childress would take Quinn then that would show ignorance for trading up to get a projected 4th or 5th round in the second from a division I AA school, TJack. While that hurts his job security what would top it off and definately get him fired right away is if Quinn becomes a bust and we got no one behind center. This way he keeps his job.

I still say if you weren't planning on getting Quinn you should have gotten a veteran in the offseason for 3 to 4 years for TJack to learn behind instead of sending him in prematurely next year
    Ho Hum.
    So much here to dispute.
    Were do I begin?

and more of a need then RB
    Did you look at the stats before you posted how great our backup RB's are?

I have, here is what I have posted on this site a couple of times. Maybe you missed it.

It is still a matter of speculation by a few on here (myself included) that we might not be set at RB.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/stats?team=min

Rushing Statistics Chester Taylor 304 1214

Artose Pinner 42 192

Mewelde Moore 24 131

Ciatrick Fason 18 99

Additionally, when drafting BPA and not for need you are putting guys on the roster that will contribute for years to come (hopefully) if you have done your homework.

At week 13 CT did slow down and no one really stepped up to help out with the load.

CT
    13 @CHI 17 99

14 @DET Did Not Play
    15 NYJ
    11 38

16 @GNB 15 49

17 STL 13 29

Pinner
    13 @CHI Did Not Play
    14 @DET 29 125

15 NYJ

1 4
    16 @GNB 2 5 2.5 4 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
    17 STL L
    1 9

Memo
    13 @CHI 3 13
    14 @DET 3 11

15 NYJ L
    0 0
    16 @GNB 0 0

17 STL
    1 10

IMHO a RB could be speculated on as a need.
    Not a top one, but a need just the same.

Because it was the smartest move for Childress' job.
    You must still be a B-chill hater or you haven't read any of the quotes from the owner.
    B-chill is here for the long haul.
    Take that to mean at least 3 or 4 years.

a lot of scouts said he'd be a major bust
    He was ranked the 9th best QB coming out.
    Granted, the scouts had him as a project but no were did I read he was going to be a major bust.
    Can you enlighten me with a link to that data.

Additionally it seems you forgot how the 2006 draft unfolded.
    Here is another post I made on here with regard to how we wound up with TJ and not Cutler or Klemens.

Of course we forget all about how the draft unfolded and why we picked TJ when we did.

Here is how they were ranked and were they went.

Quarterbacks
    1. Matt Leinart (USC) 10. Arizona

2. Vince Young (Texas) 3. Tennessee
    3. Jay Cutler (Vanderbilt) 11. Denver (from St. Louis)
    4. Kellen Clemens (Oregon) (49) N.Y. Jets (from Dallas)
    5. Brodie Croyle (Alabama) (85) Kansas City
    6. Omar Jacobs (Bowling Green) (164) Pittsburgh
    7. Charlie Whitehurst (Clemson) (81) San Diego
    8. Drew Olson (UCLA) Not Drafted
    9. Tarvaris Jackson (Alabama State) 32. (64) Minnesota (from Pittsburgh)
    10. Michael Robinson* (Penn State) (100) San Francisco
    11. Reggie McNeal (Texas A&M) (193) Cincinnati
    12. Darrell Hackney (UAB) Not Drafted
    13. Bruce Gradkowski (Toledo) (194) Tampa Bay (from New York Giants)
    14,. Travis Lulay (Montana State) Not Drafted
    15. Paul Pinegar (Fresno State) Not Drafted
    16. Brett Basanez (Northwestern) Not Drafted
    17. D.J. Shockley (Georgia) (223) Atlanta
    18. Erik Meyer (Eastern Washington) Not Drafted
    19. Josh Betts (Miami of Ohio) Not Drafted
    20. Brad Smith* (Missouri) (103) New York Jets
    Ingle Martin, QB Furman Not Ranked (148) Green Bay (from Atlanta)

If memory servers we:

a.
    Tried to move up for Cutler.
    Cost to much
    b.
    Targeted Clemens,
    OOPS, NYJ took him.
    c.
    We still needed a QB.

Who then fit the system the best?

Brodie Croyle (Alabama) (85) Kansas City

Omar Jacobs (Bowling Green) (164) Pittsburgh
    Charlie Whitehurst (Clemson) (81) San Diego
    Drew Olson (UCLA) Not Drafted

Come on.
    Gimme a break.
    Was he really that big of a reach considering how it all played out?

As for saving face, again, because of the scenario and how it all went down, I don't think anyone is saving face by not selecting a Franchise QB (Quinn) if he falls to us at 7.

I for one am confident he can and will play well this year.
    I am not, however, so blinded by the fact that we picked him a bit early to think we won't pick another.......

I still say if you weren't planning on getting Quinn you should have gotten a veteran in the offseason for 3 to 4 years for TJack to learn behind instead of sending him in prematurely next year
    What???
    First you contend that "Experts" say that he is going to be a bust, now you propose that he needs 3 to 4 years to learn.

Again, you are off the mark.
    Plan, the way I undertand it, was to have him learn for 2 years behind BJ and then take over as the starter.

Again, were did you get the 3 to 4 year idea.
    I contend it was from your jiggly but or unbiased opinion developed only from reading the drivel from the local press.

Please do a little research before you come out hatin with such drivel.
    It will help your credibilty a bit if you make speculations and observations based on something other than just hate for B-chill
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

MNgriff is offline Rookie

You can't even compare TJ and Quinn now that AD is here.
    What do you think Quinn would have done without a single playmaker on offense!? Time and time again QB's say it's all about the people around them and we needed a dynamic playmaker to take the heat off of the gun slinger.
    AD is that person and it's forever changed the team so even at the end of the season I don't think you can make a fair comparison.
    Even if TJ blows it we can still ride CT and AD to wins but you couldn't say the same for Quinn the way CT wore down last year.
    On top of it all Chili loves the run.
    Hands down it's the best pick since Moss!
    Skol

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:

You must still be a B-chill hater or you haven't read any of the quotes from the owner.

I take that to mean longer than 3-4 years. Using that logic it meant Tice was here for the long haul.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

davike is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I take that to mean longer than 3-4 years. Using that logic it meant Tice was here for the long haul.
    Yeah it means longer then 3-4 years....but he needs to show some wins in 3-4 years or he is bye bye.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

;D I guess your right.
    Didn't want to be so negative in my post but sometimes I get a bit irked by some of the crud that gets posted on here.

Might be cranky as I start working a shift for two weeks 06:30 PM to 06:30 AM.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

bigbadragz is offline Coordinator

"davike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Yeah it means longer then 3-4 years....but he needs to show some wins in 3-4 years or he is bye bye.
    exactly, guess what happens if we go 6-10 again next year, childress is on the hot seat in his 3rd.
    there is no such thing as long term if it breeds no success in the nfl.
    the guys like fisher and cowher, along with the holmgrens and shanahan earned leeway.
    but those are 4 outta 32 teams.
    5-10 coaches seem to get fired every year so this is no such thing as job security.
    if it looks like we are turning a corner then okay, but if we stay put or get worse, trouble looms.
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

;D I guess your right.
    Didn't want to be so negative in my post but sometimes I get a bit irked by some of the crud that gets posted on here.............
    Then you just have to buy yourself one of these............

[img width=450 height=425]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/singersp82759/ATT00153.jpg[/img]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"bigbadragz" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

exactly, guess what happens if we go 6-10 again next year, childress is on the hot seat in his 3rd.
    the guys like fisher and cowher, along with the holmgrens and shanahan earned leeway.
    5-10 coaches seem to get fired every year so this is no such thing as job security.
    if it looks like we are turning a corner then okay, but if we stay put or get worse, trouble looms.
    Stability within the organization is what Ziggy (and the players to a certain extent) wants.

I think we will be better than 6-10 but don't agree, if we aren't, that he will be on the hot seat.
    3rd year maybe but not second.

davike is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "bigbadragz" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Stability within the organization is what Ziggy (and the players to a certain extent) wants.

I think we will be better than 6-10 but don't agree, if we aren't, that he will be on the hot seat.
    3rd year maybe but not second.
    I agree completely....you can't switch HCs every few years....everyone needs a little time. Others need more time then some as they have to switch the teams to their systems as in Childress's case. We had to switch offensive and defensive schemes. Childress needs to be able to get the players we have already adjusted and/or bring in new players that fit his scheme....he can't get all his players in one offseason. This takes time...like Marr said, he shouldn't be in the hot seat this year, but he should be a little nervous if we don't show any progress at all.

Remember, you can have progression without a winning record. So we could progress very far even if we do go 6-10 again this year.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast