Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38
  1. #1
    Randy Moss's Avatar
    Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    453

    Should the Vikings go after Orton?

    Word on the street has it that the Broncos are willing to let go of Orton for a second round pick:

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81d7420a/article/broncos-reportedly-would-deal-qb-orton-for-2ndround-pick?module=HP_headlines

    I think we should go for it. A young QB (he's 28) who played at a pro-bowl level last season and played well before that as well is not something you pass up. We dropped the ball on Cutler and Cassel. Why not grab a proven winner who could start for the next 8 years for just a second round pick? We aren't going to get Luck so why take a chance?

  2. #2
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Should the Vikings go after Orton?

    Quote Originally Posted by "Randy Moss" #1086732
    Word on the street has it that the Broncos are willing to let go of Orton for a second round pick:

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81d7420a/article/broncos-reportedly-would-deal-qb-orton-for-2ndround-pick?module=HP_headlines

    I think we should go for it. A young QB (he's 28) who played at a pro-bowl level last season and played well before that as well is not something you pass up. We dropped the ball on Cutler and Cassel. Why not grab a proven winner who could start for the next 8 years for just a second round pick? We aren't going to get Luck so why take a chance?
    I would wait and see if Orton is cut rather than trading for him.

    But I am not adverse to him being the veteran who holds down the fort. I think he's a winner (although the Broncos effing sucked around him this year).

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  3. #3
    Randy Moss's Avatar
    Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    453

    Should the Vikings go after Orton?

    Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1086735
    Quote Originally Posted by "Randy Moss" #1086732
    Word on the street has it that the Broncos are willing to let go of Orton for a second round pick:

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81d7420a/article/broncos-reportedly-would-deal-qb-orton-for-2ndround-pick?module=HP_headlines

    I think we should go for it. A young QB (he's 28) who played at a pro-bowl level last season and played well before that as well is not something you pass up. We dropped the ball on Cutler and Cassel. Why not grab a proven winner who could start for the next 8 years for just a second round pick? We aren't going to get Luck so why take a chance?
    I would wait and see if Orton is cut rather than trading for him.

    But I am not adverse to him being the veteran who holds down the fort. I think he's a winner (although the Broncos effing sucked around him this year).

    =Z=
    I just don't see him getting cut with so many teams needing a QB though. Maybe we can talk them down to a 3rd and a later round pick or something.

  4. #4
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,849

    Should the Vikings go after Orton?

    I have mentioned before in other threads I think Orton would fit in well here. He's a game manager and doesn't turn the ball over much. He can also pass when needed.

    I personally would trade a 2nd rounder for him since he is a proven veteran. The issue is now we won't have a 2nd or 3rd and I think there are plenty of holes to fill on the OL and secondary. The Vikes will need to go after some free agents if they are going to trade for Orton.

    I still don't think Denver gets a 2nd rounder for Orton. Possibly 3rd or 4th. Think of what they traded away to get him. They traded Cutler for Orton and if my memory serves correct, a 1st and 3rd (or something to that extent). The fact he became expensable due to an unproven rookie hurts the 2nd round notion as well.

    All that said, I would pull the trigger.

  5. #5
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Should the Vikings go after Orton?

    So if you give a 4th for Orton, what do you do with your first?

    My feelings on this is you draft a kid and hope to shit he is ready enough to lead this team.

    Rationale on that is we are gonna have quite a few holes if as many leave as I anticipate. Draft will be the first option to fix those holes based on money available to the staff. After that it will be low end/2nd tier FA's that aren't picked up prior to the draft, I fear.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #6
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,278

    Should the Vikings go after Orton?

    His career completion percentage of 58% concerns me. Seems like he has always been more of a vertical passer, not the high completion percentage the west coast requires.
    Definetly an option to be considered, but I'd hope we can do better.
    I like that he is only 28.

  7. #7
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,849

    Should the Vikings go after Orton?

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1086747
    So if you give a 4th for Orton, what do you do with your first?

    My feelings on this is you draft a kid and hope to shit he is ready enough to lead this team.

    Rationale on that is we are gonna have quite a few holes if as many leave as I anticipate. Draft will be the first option to fix those holes based on money available to the staff. After that it will be low end/2nd tier FA's that aren't picked up prior to the draft, I fear.
    To me, it all depends what's available. IMO the Vikings need to focus on the OL and secondary. I would look at the best player available in one of those two areas. Honestly I think the OL is more of a need. Without the OL it doesn't matter who the QB is. The secondary can get by IF Grif and Cook come back healthy. I see the OL as so:

    McKinnie - One of the most over rated players in NFL history. I still believe Artis Hicks would have done as well if not a better job on a consistent basis.
    Hutch - Still great but not getting any younger. They have DeGeare to take his place but hs is still unproven.
    Sully - At this time I have to say he will not be a great Center. Maybe serviceable but that is about as far as I would go. Maybe he improves but I don't see a lot out of him.
    Herrera - Is average at best
    Loadholt - Has the tools the be great. But he seems to have hung out with McKinnie to much as he developed his same traits. In addition, he holds, false starts and grabs too many face masks for my liking.
    Cook - May do okay as a Guard. Sucked as a Tackle. But nothing better than a backup.
    Cooper - I really don't know yet.

  8. #8
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,304

    Should the Vikings go after Orton?

    I would be very interested in Orton ... especially if they back off a little and are willing to take a third rounder. I think that if the staff is comfortable with Webb, then they may make a move like this and use the first round pick for another need.
    Would be interesting and I definitely like him better than Sage or T-Jack ... so at least it would be an "upgrade" over what we had in the past sans Favre.

  9. #9
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,849

    Should the Vikings go after Orton?

    Quote Originally Posted by "midgensa" #1086776
    I would be very interested in Orton ... especially if they back off a little and are willing to take a third rounder. I think that if the staff is comfortable with Webb, then they may make a move like this and use the first round pick for another need.
    Would be interesting and I definitely like him better than Sage or T-Jack ... so at least it would be an "upgrade" over what we had in the past sans Favre.
    I would hope they would back down to a 4th rounder. We don't have a 3rd as of right now.

  10. #10
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Should the Vikings go after Orton?

    No way.

    Cannot stand this guy. His play with the Broncos is a fluke.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Should the Vikings go after Orton?
    By Randy Moss in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 04:21 PM
  2. Bears QB Kyle Orton confounds Minnesota Vikings
    By Vikes in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-21-2008, 08:19 PM
  3. Bears to start Orton ahead of Griese against Vikings
    By NodakPaul in forum Weekly Opponent Talk
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-11-2007, 04:17 PM
  4. The Greg Orton watch
    By OchoCinco in forum College Ball
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 07:52 PM
  5. Orton not very worried about Lions
    By TATEone in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-16-2005, 09:26 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •