Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Should the Vikes get Donte Stallworth?

I don't think we need him. I just read that Todd pinkston has recovered from his Achilles injury and is ready to go. And since being afraid to take a hit was his achilles heel, that should be fixed now.

Sign him up.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Stallworth To Be Cut

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    Hard to say what Allison will be as he hasn't been given much of a chance yet.
    His first reception came in the season opener against Atlanta. It was third and long. He ran a slant from the left side and caught the ball for 11 yards and a first down. He then was put back on the bench.
    He barely played receiver until the last 5 games of the season. 6 of his 8 receptions came in those games.
    The difference between Allison and Williamson is, Allison shows promise as a receiver and is already a better return man.

We may bring in a Stallworth or Berrian, I'd like to see it. But I think we will see T-Will gone and Allison staying.

Allison 20 returns for 574 yds.. 8 completions for 122 yds.

Williamson 17 returns for 387 yds.. 18 completions for 240 yds.
    A good post but I still don't see how any fan can say that allison has potential as a wr based on 8 catches in a season. There just isn't the game film to make that determination.

What is really being said is "Williamson pissed me off so bad that I will put my hopes on any random player they replace him with".

There is no body of film that can show his route running, his ability to adjust his patterns to changes in coverage that will help his QB out when the defense changes their looks. There is no film on how good he is at down field blocking to get his team mates more yardage, there is no evidence that he can play an entire season without wearing down or becoming injured....

That being said, I don't want to come across as sounding like I don't like the guy. I actually hope he does a good job for the team for years. I just don't want everybody getting a football boner for him like happened with Jason Carter in 2006 where everybody anointed him as the next big deal after a few preseason catches only to see him eventually cut from the team because he ended up not even able to beat out Todd Pinkston.

If we all of a sudden buy into the notion that after less than 10 catches in a season, he will come in this year and be the savior to the offense and then all of a sudden he struggles a bit or takes a little more time to develop, these same people will be calling for his head because he wasn't what they dreamed he would be as fast as their dreams predicted.

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

Only if he is waaaaay cheaper than what he was getting in NE.
    He certainly would be able to replace Troy on the roster.
    Personally I would rather just draft a better/younger WR.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"Frostbite" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    The Pats need to pay an $8 Million bonus to Stallworth quickly to extend his contract through 2011. If they don't meet the February 25th deadline of a $6 million option bonus, he'll be a Free Agent. And then they have to pay him another $2 million bonus by March 1st. I don't think they'll do it because the Pats are in "cap hell" right now. They only have $536 in salary cap money. (Of course they'll be getting more later but it won't be enough.)
    It looks to me like the pats have a decision to make between Stallworth and Moss. I'm betting they'll take Moss. Moss just had an average contract in 2007 so you can bet he'll be asking for a lot more money, too, and they'll have to pay it to keep him.
    I don't think there's any way the Pats can afford Stallworth and Moss.

I think that Stallworth may be the best out there in the free agent market for WR. Bellichick doesn't get any poor ones. He has the experience too and would be a better "catch" than Berrian.
    So why would he come to the Vikes when there are several other teams looking for WR? My thoughts are:
    1) We have the dollars to sign him;
    2) He would certainly be the go-to guy with no Moss to compete for catches.
    3) He'll get to play against poorer quality teams in our division which means he will stand-out.
    4) nine out of 16 games are in a dome where it's warmer.
    5) We have the best best running game in league which opens up the passing game perfectly for him and eliminates a lot of double-teams.
    The downside why he may not come is because of our QB situation. But could you imagine the Vikes with him and McNabb?

Could Imagine a lot of things....How would we be able to afford both Vets?? I agree we have a lot of Cap Room but I don't think either guy comes in cheap enough to afford both. If it came down to a choice between them I would rather have Stallworth over McNab. Still I suppose it's possible if un-likely.

Regardless...Good read and info here....Thanks COJOMAY.

Cheers!
    Its pretty much been said McNabb is staying in Philly.
    I wouldn't want to spend the money for him anyways.
    I'd gladly accept Stallworth tho

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    What is the basis for qualifying Allison as solid when he had a total of 8 catches for 122 yards the entire season?

In Williamson's rookie season,which if you take the popular line was done with an idiot coach and no coaching staff,a terrible offense with no talent and an owner who was a complete j~~~~~~s, he had 24 catches for 372 yards, a 15.5 ave and 2td's.

If you make that comparison Williamson is a better WR than Allison so why hang your hopes on him?
    i agree..hes not solid yet by any standards..we know he can return kicks, but hes still a total unknown as a wide receiver..hes a late round pick that the staff is praying turns out to be a diamond in the rough..i hope the front office goes out and gets 2 of these free agent recievers instead of doing the 5th-7th round receiver expirament year after year hoping and praying that they find the next marques colston (what are the chances? 1 in a million?)
    Not sure about you but I expect 5th through 7th rounders to make the team or have a gol 'darnit good shot at it based on the players talent levels that are already on the roster.

If a staff is drafting guys in those rounds and they don't make the team then they are using thier picks poorly and reaching for guys in positions that they already have quality at.

Sure there will be some busts/guys who don't make it, but it isn't like we are drafting 17 rounds anymore and using those guys in the later rounds as practice fodder for your starters.
    Make the team sure, for maybe one year. Late round draft picks pan out in the long term maybe 10% of the time. Can you name the last Viking drafted after round 4 to make a long term impact?

Recent Viking late round draft picks:
    Tyler Thigpen (Not on team)
    Chandler Williams (Not on team)
    Rufus Alexander (Injured, we'll see)
    Aundrae Allison (5th WR)
    Greg Blue (Not on team)
    Adrian Ward (Not on team)
    CJ Mosley (Not on team)
    Jeff Dugan (3rd TE)
    Diandre Eiland (Not on team)
    Rod Davis (Not on team)
    Keenan Howry (Not on team)
    Eddie Johnson (Not on team)
    Chad Beasley (Not on team)
    Nick Rogers (Not on team)

Impressive list huh?
    What does that prove?
    Nothing but we suck(ed) at drafting.
    For that matter most of you don't expect even our 1rst and 2nd round guys to make the team we suck at it so bad.

http://www.databasefootball.com/draf...?tm=MIN&lg=nfl

Take a look at the expected turn around on this team this year........

Mike Doss S
    Unsigned
    Robert Ferguson WR
    Unsigned
    Spencer Johnson DT

Unsigned
    Mewelde Moore RB
    Unsigned
    Tony Richardson FB
    Unsigned
    Darrion Scott DE
    Unsigned
    Dontarrious Thomas LB
    Unsigned
    Ronyell Whitaker CB

Unsigned
    Tank Williams S

Unsigned
    Restricted Free Agents

Heath Farwell LB
    Unsigned

Then throw in a couple that probably won't be on the roster this year......

Keneche
    T-will

If a GM can't draft 7 players that can fill those roster spots then he is a sack of shit or drafting the way fans want him to draft....

1. WR
    2. QB
    3, WR
    4. WR
    5. WR

Look, I am not saying that every pick is gonna work out but I also expect the staff to address these positions in the draft and not just draft willie nillie as most fans think they will.

Shitty drafting is a thing of the past my friend.
    The increase in scouting staff for Scott along with a GM like guy in Spielmen leads me to believe that although our 7th round guy might not get snuck onto a practice squad and get sucked up by another team, most if not all of our draft picks will make the team.

What ever happend to coaching?

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    Hard to say what Allison will be as he hasn't been given much of a chance yet.
    His first reception came in the season opener against Atlanta. It was third and long. He ran a slant from the left side and caught the ball for 11 yards and a first down. He then was put back on the bench.
    He barely played receiver until the last 5 games of the season. 6 of his 8 receptions came in those games.
    The difference between Allison and Williamson is, Allison shows promise as a receiver and is already a better return man.

We may bring in a Stallworth or Berrian, I'd like to see it. But I think we will see T-Will gone and Allison staying.

Allison 20 returns for 574 yds.. 8 completions for 122 yds.

Williamson 17 returns for 387 yds.. 18 completions for 240 yds.
    A good post but I still don't see how any fan can say that allison has potential as a wr based on 8 catches in a season. There just isn't the game film to make that determination.

What is really being said is "Williamson pissed me off so bad that I will put my hopes on any random player they replace him with".

There is no body of film that can show his route running, his ability to adjust his patterns to changes in coverage that will help his QB out when the defense changes their looks. There is no film on how good he is at down field blocking to get his team mates more yardage, there is no evidence that he can play an entire season without wearing down or becoming injured....

That being said, I don't want to come across as sounding like I don't like the guy. I actually hope he does a good job for the team for years. I just don't want everybody getting a football boner for him like happened with Jason Carter in 2006 where everybody anointed him as the next big deal after a few preseason catches only to see him eventually cut from the team because he ended up not even able to beat out Todd Pinkston.

If we all of a sudden buy into the notion that after less than 10 catches in a season, he will come in this year and be the savior to the offense and then all of a sudden he struggles a bit or takes a little more time to develop, these same people will be calling for his head because he wasn't what they dreamed he would be as fast as their dreams predicted.
    It's amusing you are going to interpret what I really said when you have no understanding of it.
    And it's a good thing we all have you around to spare us from the anguish and gnashing of teeth we will surely feel if Allison should get cut.Thanks for the warning.

By the way. Jason Carter was a practice squad player who was activated for one game and thrown zero passes. How convienient for you to choose him for comparison to Allison.

The word potential means:
    Something possessing the capacity for growth or development.
    It doesn't mean : you must have proof first.

Sounds like you don't want to give Allison a chance.

As far as Williamson goes; I see squandered potential. It's disappointing. It doesn't 'piss me off'.
    It's a game. You know entertainment. I don't bet on it. So there is absolutely no reason to get pissed off.
    But I do realize the Vikings would have a better chance of winning if they replace Williamson.
    I enjoy watching the Vikings win.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I don't think we need him. I just read that Todd pinkston has recovered from his Achilles injury and is ready to go. And since being afraid to take a hit was his achilles heel, that should be fixed now.

Sign him up.
    i am praying you are being extremely sarcastic on that one

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

jonnyb is offline Rookie

A couple of weeks ago I heard Paul Allen on KFAN talk about how much he would like to see Andre Davis, Jerry Porter, or Berrian on the Vikes roster.

Berrian has been talked about enough. Yes he would be a good pick up, but may cost more than we want to spend.

I like the idea of Porter coming in. He has had some issues in Oakland, but in his defense, it was Oakland. If the organization is willing to gamble on a potential character issue guy, this may prove to be quite a pickup. He put up a couple of good seasons for the Black & Silver

Andre Davis is also interesting. He played pretty well when Andre Johnson went down. He also seems to fit the mold of the "under the radar" FA the purple have targeted over the years.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"jonnyb" wrote:
    A couple of weeks ago I heard Paul Allen on KFAN talk about how much he would like to see Andre Davis, Jerry Porter, or Berrian on the Vikes roster.

Berrian has been talked about enough. Yes he would be a good pick up, but may cost more than we want to spend.

I like the idea of Porter coming in. He has had some issues in Oakland, but in his defense, it was Oakland. If the organization is willing to gamble on a potential character issue guy, this may prove to be quite a pickup. He put up a couple of good seasons for the Black & Silver

Andre Davis is also interesting. He played pretty well when Andre Johnson went down. He also seems to fit the mold of the "under the radar" FA the purple have targeted over the years.

If Andre Davis is our only new receiver next year. I'm quitting this board.

Quote me.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    [quote author=UffDaVikes link=topic=42441.msg724196#msg724196 date=1203354064]
    What is the basis for qualifying Allison as solid when he had a total of 8 catches for 122 yards the entire season?

In Williamson's rookie season,which if you take the popular line was done with an idiot coach and no coaching staff,a terrible offense with no talent and an owner who was a complete j~~~~~~s, he had 24 catches for 372 yards, a 15.5 ave and 2td's.

If you make that comparison Williamson is a better WR than Allison so why hang your hopes on him?
    i agree..hes not solid yet by any standards..we know he can return kicks, but hes still a total unknown as a wide receiver..hes a late round pick that the staff is praying turns out to be a diamond in the rough..i hope the front office goes out and gets 2 of these free agent recievers instead of doing the 5th-7th round receiver expirament year after year hoping and praying that they find the next marques colston (what are the chances? 1 in a million?)
    Not sure about you but I expect 5th through 7th rounders to make the team or have a gol 'darnit good shot at it based on the players talent levels that are already on the roster.

If a staff is drafting guys in those rounds and they don't make the team then they are using thier picks poorly and reaching for guys in positions that they already have quality at.

Sure there will be some busts/guys who don't make it, but it isn't like we are drafting 17 rounds anymore and using those guys in the later rounds as practice fodder for your starters.
    Make the team sure, for maybe one year. Late round draft picks pan out in the long term maybe 10% of the time. Can you name the last Viking drafted after round 4 to make a long term impact?

Recent Viking late round draft picks:
    Tyler Thigpen (Not on team)
    Chandler Williams (Not on team)
    Rufus Alexander (Injured, we'll see)
    Aundrae Allison (5th WR)
    Greg Blue (Not on team)
    Adrian Ward (Not on team)
    CJ Mosley (Not on team)
    Jeff Dugan (3rd TE)
    Diandre Eiland (Not on team)
    Rod Davis (Not on team)
    Keenan Howry (Not on team)
    Eddie Johnson (Not on team)
    Chad Beasley (Not on team)
    Nick Rogers (Not on team)

Impressive list huh?
    What does that prove?
    Nothing but we suck(ed) at drafting.
    For that matter most of you don't expect even our 1rst and 2nd round guys to make the team we suck at it so bad.

http://www.databasefootball.com/draf...?tm=MIN&lg=nfl

Take a look at the expected turn around on this team this year........

Mike Doss S
    Unsigned
    Robert Ferguson WR
    Unsigned
    Spencer Johnson DT

Unsigned
    Mewelde Moore RB
    Unsigned
    Tony Richardson FB
    Unsigned
    Darrion Scott DE
    Unsigned
    Dontarrious Thomas LB
    Unsigned
    Ronyell Whitaker CB

Unsigned
    Tank Williams S

Unsigned
    Restricted Free Agents

Heath Farwell LB
    Unsigned

Then throw in a couple that probably won't be on the roster this year......

Keneche
    T-will

If a GM can't draft 7 players that can fill those roster spots then he is a sack of pooh or drafting the way fans want him to draft....

1. WR
    2. QB
    3, WR
    4. WR
    5. WR

Look, I am not saying that every pick is gonna work out but I also expect the staff to address these positions in the draft and not just draft willie nillie as most fans think they will.

poohie drafting is a thing of the past my friend.
    The increase in scouting staff for Scott along with a GM like guy in Spielmen leads me to believe that although our 7th round guy might not get snuck onto a practice squad and get sucked up by another team, most if not all of our draft picks will make the team.

What ever happend to coaching?
    [/quote]
    You lost me my friend.

What does coaching have to do with the normal process of a team having roughly 10-15 player turnover every year and the staffs ability to use 7 picks or so wisely to replace them?

Now if those picks were used poorly and guys (T-will) were drafted that couldn't make the team or never turned into anything then I could/should start looking at the coaching staff.

Again, I think it is a good sign that our staff has had pretty damn good success with our picks the last 2 years (better last year that the 2006).

That shows Studwell is finding quality players, Spielmen is drafting quality players, and the coaches are coaching them into the scheme.

My biggest beef is they aren't getting it done fast enough for my instant gratification, win now ass.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516