Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Should the Vikes get Donte Stallworth?

The Pats need to pay an $8 Million bonus to Stallworth quickly to extend his contract through 2011. If they don't meet the February 25th deadline of a $6 million option bonus, he'll be a Free Agent. And then they have to pay him another $2 million bonus by March 1st. I don't think they'll do it because the Pats are in "cap hell" right now. They only have $536 in salary cap money. (Of course they'll be getting more later but it won't be enough.)
    It looks to me like the pats have a decision to make between Stallworth and Moss. I'm betting they'll take Moss. Moss just had an average contract in 2007 so you can bet he'll be asking for a lot more money, too, and they'll have to pay it to keep him.
    I don't think there's any way the Pats can afford Stallworth and Moss.

I think that Stallworth may be the best out there in the free agent market for WR. Bellichick doesn't get any poor ones. He has the experience too and would be a better "catch" than Berrian.
    So why would he come to the Vikes when there are several other teams looking for WR? My thoughts are:
    1) We have the dollars to sign him;
    2) He would certainly be the go-to guy with no Moss to compete for catches.
    3) He'll get to play against poorer quality teams in our division which means he will stand-out.
    4) nine out of 16 games are in a dome where it's warmer.
    5) We have the best best running game in league which opens up the passing game perfectly for him and eliminates a lot of double-teams.
    The downside why he may not come is because of our QB situation. But could you imagine the Vikes with him and McNabb?
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Should the Vikes get Donte Stallworth?

Wow.

Definitely an interesting prospect, and very well thought out.
    It is definately a possibility...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I thought we should have went after him before he got to Philly.

He was having an outstanding year in Philly before he got hurt with a few 80+ yard TD's if I am not mistaken.

I certainly would like to see him in Purple and a really kickass offense could be had with him AND Berrian and although I hate him, McNabb. Add a few serviceable zone blocking linemen, A DE and some DB depth and we could win a playoff game

Frostbite is offline Coach

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    The Pats need to pay an $8 Million bonus to Stallworth quickly to extend his contract through 2011. If they don't meet the February 25th deadline of a $6 million option bonus, he'll be a Free Agent. And then they have to pay him another $2 million bonus by March 1st. I don't think they'll do it because the Pats are in "cap hell" right now. They only have $536 in salary cap money. (Of course they'll be getting more later but it won't be enough.)
    It looks to me like the pats have a decision to make between Stallworth and Moss. I'm betting they'll take Moss. Moss just had an average contract in 2007 so you can bet he'll be asking for a lot more money, too, and they'll have to pay it to keep him.

I think that Stallworth may be the best out there in the free agent market for WR. Bellichick doesn't get any poor ones. He has the experience too and would be a better "catch" than Berrian.
    So why would he come to the Vikes when there are several other teams looking for WR? My thoughts are:
    3) He'll get to play against poorer quality teams in our division which means he will stand-out.
    5) We have the best best running game in league which opens up the passing game perfectly for him and eliminates a lot of double-teams.
    The downside why he may not come is because of our QB situation. But could you imagine the Vikes with him and McNabb?

Could Imagine a lot of things....How would we be able to afford both Vets?? I agree we have a lot of Cap Room but I don't think either guy comes in cheap enough to afford both. If it came down to a choice between them I would rather have Stallworth over McNab. Still I suppose it's possible if un-likely.

Regardless...Good read and info here....Thanks COJOMAY.

Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

grpape is offline Asst. Coach

"COJOMAY" wrote:

I think when he gets his SB ring, it'll all be about money. Show him enough cash that he can't say no too, and he will sign. I just don't know if he will be worth the amount he will be asking if he hits the FA market. There aren't too many prospects out there, so he may ask for an astounding amount. How is he as a person and mentor?

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"Frostbite" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

Could Imagine a lot of things....How would we be able to afford both Vets?? I agree we have a lot of Cap Room but I don't think either guy comes in cheap enough to afford both. If it came down to a choice between them I would rather have Stallworth over McNab. Still I suppose it's possible if un-likely.

Cheers!
    You only get one with Cap money, the other you give away a pick in the draft. I still think somehow Chilly and the Eagles will work out something for the draft. And it won't be THREE FIRST ROUND picks as the Eagles indicated. Everyone knows that.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "Frostbite" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

Cheers!
    You only get one with Cap money, the other you give away a pick in the draft. I still think somehow Chilly and the Eagles will work out something for the draft. And it won't be THREE FIRST ROUND picks as the Eagles indicated. Everyone knows that.

Yes...Thanks for clarifying that COJOMAY....

Cheers!

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

IMO, Stallworth isn't worth a large contract and to be honest isn't anywhere near a legit #1 reciever in this league, I don't even know if I would consider him a strong #2. His game revolves completely around speed, his routes are not crisp or especially clean. Get him in a three wide set and let him stretch the field a bit and he becomes effective. Plus he hasn't been especially durable over the span of his career, dating all the way back to Tennessee.

Not saying he won't help a team but cost vs benefit says he is an overpriced WR, he struggled in reciever starved New Orleans whom had a very effective running game and a QB similar to TJ in Brooks.

Bryant Johnson of ARZ might be a better investment overall than Stallworth, IMO, that is unless he comes in with a cap friendly low risk deal.

"pack93z" wrote:
    IMO, Stallworth isn't worth a large contract and to be honest isn't anywhere near a legit #1 reciever in this league, I don't even know if I would consider him a strong #2. His game revolves completely around speed, his routes are not crisp or especially clean. Get him in a three wide set and let him stretch the field a bit and he becomes effective. Plus he hasn't been especially durable over the span of his career, dating all the way back to Tennessee.

Not saying he won't help a team but cost vs benefit says he is an overpriced WR, he struggled in reciever starved New Orleans whom had a very effective running game and a QB similar to TJ in Brooks.

Bryant Johnson of ARZ might be a better investment overall than Stallworth, IMO, that is unless he comes in with a cap friendly low risk deal.

I agree....I think Bryant Johnson is just itching to get out of ARIZONA and out of the shadow of Bolden and Fitzgerald too. This guy has a lot of potential to show he's a true number 1 WR. I believe he just needs the oportunity to shine and he will make the most of it.

Cheers!

Heres a little trivia for ya: Stallworth attended Grant HS, the same school Ontarrio the"whiz" attended. I live in Grass Valley and my local high school, Nevada Union, had a intense rivalry with Grant (before Grant was forced to move to a smaller division) Alot of folks around here remember both Ontarrio and Stallworth, and Stallworth is a hotheaded competitor. It would be great to see the guy in Purple, I somehow doubt it would happen though. ???
    Tuco the world.....

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast