Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

Re: Should Dontarrious be the MLB for us next season?

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Change of direction agility is only adequate, but can cover ground quickly … Will struggle to maintain position on the tight ends working in the short area … Gets a little too high in his backpedal and has stiffness in his hips that makes him look a bit awkward turning and dropping back in the zone … Does not locate and pick up the receiver well in zone coverage, seeing the play develop too late (also gets frozen by misdirection and play action)."

Not a good enough description to play cover two at the MLB IMO.
    Good scouting report, Del....but he DID do a pretty good job when he was in at MLB!
    Not really.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Del" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Change of direction agility is only adequate, but can cover ground quickly … Will struggle to maintain position on the tight ends working in the short area … Gets a little too high in his backpedal and has stiffness in his hips that makes him look a bit awkward turning and dropping back in the zone … Does not locate and pick up the receiver well in zone coverage, seeing the play develop too late (also gets frozen by misdirection and play action)."

Not a good enough description to play cover two at the MLB IMO.
    Good scouting report, Del....but he DID do a pretty good job when he was in at MLB!
    Not really.
    I'll second that. For all his speed he looked slow. He was late with his recognition and beat on his coverages. But he tried very hard and gave a great effort.
    I thought he was a better ML in the old scheme the brief time he played middle.
    I think he may be great if we change our defensive scheme.But You almost need an Erlacher like ability to be a successful ML in the cover 2.
    I personally hope the defensive scheme is changed a little so it is not so dependant on linebackers covering wide receivers.
    I also think EJ will be the Mike next year.

What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

If he's not going to work out, don't move EJ back, he finally came out to play this year and really stepped up strong. The last thing we need is to move him again.

"Greenway is an excellent athlete with the very quick feet, agility and playing speed that is hard to find in a linebacker. For a 240-pound linebacker, he has the rare ability to drop deep down the field in pass coverage. He can run down the seam with fast tight ends with ease. He can change directions quickly and has an explosive first step in the other direction."

"He is an explosive player, and shows it with an explosive closing burst to the ball to finish plays in pursuit"

That's about Chad Greenway, sounds an awful lot like a MLB in the Cover 2.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Patrick Willis, frist round.Enough said.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:
    "Greenway is an excellent athlete with the very quick feet, agility and playing speed that is hard to find in a linebacker. For a 240-pound linebacker, he has the rare ability to drop deep down the field in pass coverage. He can run down the seam with fast tight ends with ease. He can change directions quickly and has an explosive first step in the other direction."

"He is an explosive player, and shows it with an explosive closing burst to the ball to finish plays in pursuit"

The big knock on Chad coming out of college was he wasn't great at shedding blocks, that is NOT what you're looking for from someone you expect to be able to shut down the inside run.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:

The big knock on Chad coming out of college was he wasn't great at shedding blocks, that is NOT what you're looking for from someone you expect to be able to shut down the inside run.
    And that is not really what we're looking for.

MLB in the Cover 2 needs to be able to cover the deep middle of the field, he doesn't necessarily need to make a ton of tackles, like Urlacher, but fortunately we have by far the best combo at DT and that takes a lot of pressure off of the MLB.

Coincidentally, Urlacher is also criticized for not being able to shed blocks, I saw some clips on ESPN, and they were saying how he never learned the fundamentals of getting off of blocks because he is a converted safety.

I think it will be a positional battle at MLB, but I think we'll see Greenway starting next season.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:

And that is not really what we're looking for.

MLB in the Cover 2 needs to be able to cover the deep middle of the field, he doesn't necessarily need to make a ton of tackles, like Urlacher, but fortunately we have by far the best combo at DT and that takes a lot of pressure off of the MLB.

Coincidentally, Urlacher is also criticized for not being able to shed blocks, I saw some clips on ESPN, and they were saying how he never learned the fundamentals of getting off of blocks because he is a converted safety.

I think it will be a positional battle at MLB, but I think we'll see Greenway starting next season.
    Isn't it?
    Stopping the inside is, and always has been the MLBs number one responsibility.
    Your asking Chad, who is coming of and injury, to play a position he's never played, at a level of competition he's never played?
    IF Greenway gets healthy don't be surprised to see him play weakside where he's best, and see EJ slide to MLB.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:

Hopefully all the weight lifting he has been doing helps with that.

He may be able to chase down a running back with his 4.4 speed...after the 5 seconds it takes for him to read the play.
    (In other words I am opposed to him being on the field at LB unless he has to be)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast