Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer

SharperImage speaks his mind on FA's

In my mind these are the guys the vikings need to make a PUSH for,

WR Bernard Berrian UFA Chicago Bears he fits into the role of troy williamson. BUT WITH HANDS!!. we already have are redzone threat in Sidney Rice but we need someone to stretch the field.

FS Ken Hamlin UFA Dallas Cowboys if you guys want to release Dwight Smith. we got to replace him with some talent.

DL Jared Allen UFA Kansas City Chiefs
    im very high on this one. But that means we would have to release Udeze. i believe him and Eramus James would make a great tamdem with ray edwards and brian robison backing them up.

Draft.

1st round i believe we should go with DeSean Jackson.. We need a punt returner and another speed threat to make defenses stay honest. and how nice is this... Berrian Rice Jackson Allison Wade.

2nd Round we should go with a TE. Rucker would be nice

3rd round.. This is where we need to take Owen Schmitt.

3th round.. I believe QB sullivan would be perfect right here to give Jackson some Go.

So what do you guys think

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: SharperImage speaks his mind on FA's

SI, I have two trains of thought with respect to what the staff will do.
    Here is what I posted in another thread of this nature.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...?topic=42217.0

Truth be told, alot of people probably won't be happy with the Vikings draft this year. My GUT feeling is that they will draft for depth and future in alot of key areas. That equates to DT, FB's, S's, because those are the positions that have either a aging vet that might start to decline in a year or 2 (DT, FB) or a position that we had bandaids (Vets brought in on short term contracts) at (S).

For all of you out there who are looking for the next Randy Moss (WR) to be picked first, sit back and prepare to beeeyyyyatch all off season when they don't draft that WR you thought we couldn't live without.

I still (Again GUT feeling) think that if the draft goes the way I think it will do the following:

a. S (This guy will be a starter because of Doss/Tank/Smith issues)
    b. DT (Spencer will leave via FA and Phat Pat isn't getting any younger)
    c. FB (If T-rich isn't brought back they might even switch this spot with DT)
    d. LB (Another roster spot that might have a FA leave. Kid could add talent to ST's and learn).
    e. QB (By the time this guy is ready TJ will have been in the league 6 or 7 years).
    f. RB (Memo is leaving so there will be an open roster spot for another RB)

If my hunch is correct, all of these guys drafted will make the team if for no other reason than the fact that there is a opening on the roster next year at each of these positions.

WR and DE will be filled Via FA (if they do anything at all) as they have already invested heavily in those areas via the draft already.
    It really will all come down to what the staff does during FA.
    Will they spend on a DE, WR and S or will they elect to try to fix the holes with youth.

If I was GM for a day I would spend on all 3 and draft the way I laid it out above.

So about the only one I agree with on in this scenario is taking a FB with one of our 3rd round draft picks but don't think Schmitt will be available even though most value boards have him going in the 3rd round.

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_...alue_board.htm
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Allen will be franchised and there's no way we give up 2 first round picks for him.
    There are other guys out there that if put in the right situation will do well (Aaron Kampman, Osi Usyamora) *I know i butchered that name
    Those guys were never big names, but had breakout seasons and are now considered some of the best.
    I see the vikings finding a guy like that (hopefully)
    I don't think they'll break the bank on a big name FA.

as for your safety and WR, i think thats absolutely necessary.
    Berrian would be a nice addition and Hamlin would make our secondary instantly better.

aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler

I agree we need to make a push for Berrian, he would open up a lot in both in the passing and running games. But as far as Hamlin and Allen go, neither of them will get anywhere near the open market, so there is no point discussing them.

Also, if we sign someone like Berrian then we will not draft a receiver (especially Jackson) in the first round. A first round pick is expected to start, but if we signed Berrian, then Jackson would be 4th on the depth chart (behind Berrian, Rice and Wade), and it doesn't make any sense in my mind to spend a first round pick on someone who will only be returning kicks. If we don't sign a receiver, then drafting one early would make more sense, but not if we get Berrian.

I also can't agree with drafting a TE, we already have a log jam there with Shiancoe, Kleinsasser, Dugan and Mills. And while I do really like Owen Schmitt, I don't think it would be prudent to draft a FB until atleast the fourth round, since we already have a Pro-Bowl fullback in Tony Richardson. Dugan and Kleinsasser also have fullback experience. Of course, if Richardson or Kleinsasser leave in the offseason, then we would need to draft a TE/FB.

"aaeyers" wrote:
    I agree we need to make a push for Berrian, he would open up a lot in both in the passing and running games. But as far as Hamlin and Allen go, neither of them will get anywhere near the open market, so there is no point discussing them.

Also, if we sign someone like Berrian then we will not draft a receiver (especially Jackson) in the first round. A first round pick is expected to start, but if we signed Berrian, then Jackson would be 4th on the depth chart (behind Berrian, Rice and Wade), and it doesn't make any sense in my mind to spend a first round pick on someone who will only be returning kicks. If we don't sign a receiver, then drafting one early would make more sense, but not if we get Berrian.

I also can't agree with drafting a TE, we already have a log jam there with Shiancoe, Kleinsasser, Dugan and Mills. And while I do really like Owen Schmitt, I don't think it would be prudent to draft a FB until atleast the fourth round, since we already have a Pro-Bowl fullback in Tony Richardson. Dugan and Kleinsasser also have fullback experience. Of course, if Richardson or Kleinsasser leave in the offseason, then we would need to draft a TE/FB.
    A very solid post with one exception.

T-rich is a FA and if my guess is correct, he will leave this year freeing up a roster spot for either Mills or a FB to be drafted in the 2008 draft.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    T-rich is a FA and if my guess is correct, he will leave this year freeing up a roster spot for either Mills or a FB to be drafted in the 2008 draft.
    Why would Richardson leave?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

=Z=
    It will all come down to what type of contract they can work with him.
    Long story short, I believe they want to get Mills on the roster and his spot is the most likely.

I'm sure that doesn't make much sense as he was voted to the PB this year but I just don't see any other way to get the kid some playing time without letting some blood.

As I said in a earlier thread:
    Dugan.
    Has played FB and TE. Signed a 6 year contract extension in 2006.
    Klieny.
    Better blocker, has played FB and TE.
    Mills is probably better suited to play FB as he is a bit small (6-1 235 - Trich 6-1 238)
    for a TE
    Shiancoe will be the pass catching TE (regardless of what some think of him) plus he is a good blocker.
    Naufahu Tahi is the only other option that I see going and my gut feeling says that 13 years vs 3 years will determine this one.

Long story short, the way this staff uses FB/TE's, it appears they are looking for guys that can/have played both positions.
    T-rich doesn't fall into that catagory.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Long story short, I believe they want to get Mills on the roster and his spot is the most likely.

I'm sure that doesn't make much sense as he was voted to the PB this year but I just don't see any other way to get the kid some playing time without letting some blood.

Dugan.
    Klieny.
    Mills is probably better suited to play FB as he is a bit small (6-1 235 - Trich 6-1 238)
    for a TE
    Shiancoe will be the pass catching TE (regardless of what some think of him) plus he is a good blocker.
    Naufahu Tahi is the only other option that I see going and my gut feeling says that 13 years vs 3 years will determine this one.

Long story short, the way this staff uses FB/TE's, it appears they are looking for guys that can/have played both positions.
    So, basically, you have no real reason to believe that the Vikings will not attempt to resign their Pro Bowl FB, other than wild theories about tight end usage?

=Z=

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Dugan.
    Klieny.
    for a TE

So, basically, you have no real reason to believe that the Vikings will not attempt to resign their Pro Bowl FB, other than wild theories about tight end usage?

=Z=
    At least I have a rationale (same one I used when Wiggo left and everyone thought I was crazy).
    You on the other hand think just cause he got voted to the Pro-bowl it won't happen.

Hmmmmmm, let me guess what rationale I like.
    :

Seriously, I like T-rich and think he is a hell of a blocker but at some point all players leave.
    Again, depending on how much he asks for, the staffs intention for Mills and Tahi, I could see him going.

Bet you are happier than shit I ain't in charge huh.
    ;D

"Marrdro" wrote:
    At least I have a rationale (same one I used when Wiggo left and everyone thought I was crazy).
    You on the other hand think just cause he got voted to the Pro-bowl it won't happen.
    Don't put words on my fingers, bucko.

I want the Vikings to keep Richardson because he's a devastating blocker, because he's got sweet and soft hands and because he's one of the finest human beings the Vikings have on the roster.

Seriously, I like T-rich and think he is a hell of a blocker but at some point all players leave.
    Again, depending on how much he asks for, the staffs intention for Mills and Tahi, I could see him going.

Bet you are happier than shit I ain't in charge huh.

;D
    I'm mostly happy you're not running the team because if there's anything worse than a big-monied out-of-towner running the team it's a big-monied out-of-towner who thinks he has a clue running the team.

=Z=

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast