erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

Sharper expects '08 Vikings to be better.

[b][u][size=13pt]Sharper expects '08 Vikings to be better

The safety, in his fourth season with the team, said he believes the combination of returning players and talent brought in from the draft and free agency will pay off.

By SID HARTMAN, Star Tribune
    Last update: August 27, 2008 - 10:29 PM

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Sharper expects '08 Vikings to be better.

"I'm like a fine wine, a Cabernet-Merlot-Shiraz blend," he said. "It can do a lot of things. It's gets better as you open it up and let it get out there and air out, filtrate, do all those things. I don't even need a decanter, just let me go out there and run. Pour me in your mouth, suck it up and enjoy the run.
    LOL. Man I really like Sharper. He will be our starter next year as well.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

That is great news. I have been on pins and needles all off season worrying that he was going to issue a press release that he didn't think the team would be better. Now I can relax.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

as does i_bleed_purple

but really... I think if TJohnson can elevate his play, sharper MIGHT return to form.
    last year sharper was restricted to play within the scheme, which quite frankly, hindered everyones stats (except winfields)
    towards the end of the season, fraizer started opening up the playbook, playing more man-to-man/different blitz/coverage schemes, similar to what cottrell did in his last few games, which helped individual stats like tackles/sacks/int/pd/ go up.
    TJ has some good speed, so he has the range, as well as possibly the ablility to make up for a misjudgement and bad step, allowing him to recover, and not need sharper to cover his ass.

in all probability, they will struggle the first few games, against some decent passing games (GB and CAR are no pushovers)
    but if sharper starts trusting Tyrell, thats when the magic starts happening.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

hopefully we can get him a superbowl ring
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

CTVikingfan is offline Pro-Bowler

"marstc09" wrote:
    [quote]
    "I'm like a fine wine, a Cabernet-Merlot-Shiraz blend," he said. "It can do a lot of things. It's gets better as you open it up and let it get out there and air out, filtrate, do all those things. I don't even need a decanter, just let me go out there and run. Pour me in your mouth, suck it up and enjoy the run.
    Like Homemade wine harsh and rough.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    as does i_bleed_purple

but really... I think if TJohnson can elevate his play, sharper MIGHT return to form.
    last year sharper was restricted to play within the scheme, which quite frankly, hindered everyones stats (except winfields)
    towards the end of the season, fraizer started opening up the playbook, playing more man-to-man/different blitz/coverage schemes, similar to what cottrell did in his last few games, which helped individual stats like tackles/sacks/int/pd/ go up.
    TJ has some good speed, so he has the range, as well as possibly the ablility to make up for a misjudgement and bad step, allowing him to recover, and not need sharper to cover his jiggly butt.

in all probability, they will struggle the first few games, against some decent passing games (GB and CAR are no pushovers)
    Marrdro scratches his bald head........... ;D

Are you trying to say that Sharp doesn't fit the scheme?

Look, lets be frank.
    Sharp has lost a step.
    It might not be much, but he has.
    Add to that the fact that he still
    likes to ball hawk.
    Add those two things together (slower/ball hawker) and you will get a guy who will gamble a bit which leads to things like letting a TE score on you after you run your mouth and blow help over the top for your CB's if you gamble wrong.

Long story short, he still has enough in those legs to play a cover 2 scheme.
    Unfortunately that will equate to less INT's which causes him to run his mouth right along with fans who love to see the INT instead of sound play within the scheme.

I wonder if we will hear him open his yap again about how he never lets a TE score on him especially since he let 3 of them do it last year.
    If I could see game tape I would raise that number to 4.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Sharper is not slower. He works on keepin his speed in the offseason. Matter of fact he ran a 4.4 40 time. Reason for lack of picks is they have him play SS and keep him near the line a lot. He is a natural fs where he can track the ball

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    as does i_bleed_purple

TJ has some good speed, so he has the range, as well as possibly the ablility to make up for a misjudgement and bad step, allowing him to recover, and not need sharper to cover his jiggly butt.

Marrdro scratches his bald head........... ;D

Are you trying to say that Sharp doesn't fit the scheme?

Look, lets be frank.
    Sharp has lost a step.
    It might not be much, but he has.
    Add to that the fact that he still
    likes to ball hawk.
    Add those two things together (slower/ball hawker) and you will get a guy who will gamble a bit which leads to things like letting a TE score on you after you run your mouth and blow help over the top for your CB's if you gamble wrong.

Long story short, he still has enough in those legs to play a cover 2 scheme.
    Unfortunately that will equate to less INT's which causes him to run his mouth right along with fans who love to see the INT instead of sound play within the scheme.

I wonder if we will hear him open his yap again about how he never lets a TE score on him especially since he let 3 of them do it last year.
    If I could see game tape I would raise that number to 4.

;D
    essentially, yes, sharper doesn't fit the scheme.
    He thrives when he gets to play center field, meaning he covers deep, and can drift to whatever side he wants.
    When he's not restricted to stick to his half of the field or else give up a huge play.
    He did so well under Cottrell because thats the type of scheme he had, and he's show flashes of it under Tomlin and Fraizer when they open up the playbook more and get out of the obviously faulty cover 2.
    Now thats not to say Sharper is bad for our scheme, just this scheme isn't ideal for him.
    I think if we put in Tyrell next year, he wouldn't fare any better.
    The cover 2, by nature takes away individual stats, such as sacks, interceptions, etc.
    since players like the MLB and FS can no longer freelance.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    essentially, yes, sharper doesn't fit the scheme.
    He thrives when he gets to play center field, meaning he covers deep, and can drift to whatever side he wants.
    When he's not restricted to stick to his half of the field or else give up a huge play.
    He did so well under Cottrell because thats the type of scheme he had, and he's show flashes of it under Tomlin and Fraizer when they open up the playbook more and get out of the obviously faulty cover 2.
    Now thats not to say Sharper is bad for our scheme, just this scheme isn't ideal for him.
    I think if we put in Tyrell next year, he wouldn't fare any better.
    The cover 2, by nature takes away individual stats, such as sacks, interceptions, etc.
    since players like the MLB and FS can no longer freelance.
    Excellent post my friend.

You are spot on with your way of thinking, explains why you left me scratching my head.
    ;D

Truth be told when Sharp does play within the scheme our D is better.
    My issue is that he doesn't always do that and he got burned more times last year than he made good plays.

Heres to hoping the extra pressure from the front 4 works as advertised allowing for our CB's to press a bit more, LB's to drop into coverage allowing Sharp to make a field "Center Fielder" catches...... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg