Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Second round of NFL draft crucial for Vikings

Three thoughts.......

a. Every pick in the draft is important. I, for one, long for the days of 14 rounds instead of just 7.

b.
    *LB E.J. Henderson, 40th pick in 2003: Arguably the Vikings' best second-round pick of the decade thanks to his reliability at middle linebacker. Made the Pro Bowl last season
    Wasn't that long ago EJ was on the brink of being considered a bust cause he was being forced into an OLB role. Just goes to prove, if you don't pick players that fit the scheme (and use them the right way) they will be a bust.

c. Why do they even bring in drafts from previous regimes. Gives no insight into what one regime might do with respect to what past regimes have done.

Only thing that counts here is what the combination of Spielman and Studwell have done. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Second round of NFL draft crucial for Vikings

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092958

Three thoughts.......

a. Every pick in the draft is important. I, for one, long for the days of 14 rounds instead of just 7.
    care to elaborate onto why?
    b.
    *LB E.J. Henderson, 40th pick in 2003: Arguably the Vikings' best second-round pick of the decade thanks to his reliability at middle linebacker. Made the Pro Bowl last season
    Wasn't that long ago EJ was on the brink of being considered a bust cause he was being forced into an OLB role. Just goes to prove, if you don't pick players that fit the scheme (and use them the right way) they will be a bust.
    It'd be foolish to argue against that he was an excellent pick, but I'm not sure you remember that EJ started at MLB, couldn't handle it and got moved to OLB.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

EJ was also growing.. He sucked at MLB.. Moved to OLB.. Seemed more comfortable playing there and grew to the NFL speed.. And actually played well until he moved back into MLB where we really blossomed

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Three thoughts.......

b.

c. Why do they even bring in drafts from previous regimes. Gives no insight into what one regime might do with respect to what past regimes have done.

Only thing that counts here is what the combination of Spielman and Studwell have done. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Apparently the guy missed Ryan Cook and Tarvaris Jackson.....

b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1093001

Three thoughts.......

b.

Spielman and Co. joined the Minnesota staff after the 2006 draft. They're first draft was the one we got Adrian Peterson in... just food for thought
    None

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1092966

Three thoughts.......

care to elaborate onto why?
    b.
    It'd be foolish to argue against that he was an excellent pick, but I'm not sure you remember that EJ started at MLB, couldn't handle it and got moved to OLB.
    Why, ......Because I love the draft and think it is over way to fast. Additionally, teams have a bit more lattitude to make mistakes when they draft if they had 14 rounds. Because they only have 7, they almost have to hit on each one to be considered successfull, unless of course your team is deep.

I do remember he was originally used as a MLB, and then was moved to OLB and sucked playing at both positions.

Wasn't till the new regime came in and moved him back to MLB (and coached him a bit) that he started to play better.

Lets not forget, going into that first year, our biggest worry was at the LB position. Most thought it was the weakest part of the defense, and possibly the team.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1093001

Three thoughts.......

b.

I still say Cook is a good OLmen. He was just put into a role/position before he was ready.

Last year was evidence of that. Cat stepped in and played (pretty good in most instances) 4 of 5 positions at one point or another.

As for TJ, I still say he will be a good NFL QB.

Quote Originally Posted by "b_sandhar_29" #1093040
    Spielman and Co. joined the Minnesota staff after the 2006 draft. They're first draft was the one we got Adrian Peterson in... just food for thought
    Someone knows his Vikings history. Top Shelf my friend, top shelf indeed.