Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Seahawks and Vikings play free-agent tag

[size=18px]Seahawks and Vikings play free-agent tag[/size]

April 3, 2006

The Seahawks and Vikings decided to play a game of high-priced free-agent tag this offseason, and both teams ended up being big winners.

Minnesota was "It" first, stealing away the game's best guard, Steve Hutchinson, with a lucrative contract including record guaranteed money that made it almost impossible for Seattle to match it to retain its transition player. The addition of such an elite blocker allows coach Brad Childress to reconstruct the Vikes' offense with a strong running game.

Then it was Seattle's turn. While the team needed some pass-catching help with the free-agent departure of Joe Jurevicius and No. 1 receiver Darrell Jackson recovering from knee surgery, you can bet there was a little front-office revenge involved in signing away Vikings' fourth-year wideout Nate Burleson, a restricted free agent.

Burleson isn't the elite player Hutchinson is yet, but I think he can get there, as early as this season. A Seattle native who's coming home as a very rich man, Burleson has some explosive skills, most notably as an open-field runner after the catch. He excelled as a receiver and return man in his second season in Minnesota (1,006 yards receiving, 10 total TDs), but by the time he got to full strength after an early-season knee injury in 2005, he didn't have time to develop a rapport with backup-turned-starter Brad Johnson.

What makes Burleson most intriguing is that he is a "complementary" piece to an already prolific offense. Along with playing opposite Jackson and catching balls from a in-his-prime Matt Hasselbeck, defenses always will make reigning league MVP Shaun Alexander their must-stop priority. That should leave Burleson with plenty of open field and plenty of room to blossom into a top-flight receiver.

Seahawks and Vikings play free-agent tag

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Seahawks and Vikings play free-agent tag

It's great to see an article posted on this subject that views it as a Win-Win situation for both teams.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

That is really great to read, I agree the Seahawks are getting a heck of a good football player when it comes to Nate Burleson, I think he will be a very quality reciever for years to come, however i still feel we got the better end of the deal

norseforce is offline Rookie

I respect your opions,but....strongly diagree,the seahawks lost the best guard in football,nate will never be a #1 recv. will never make the pro bowl, any top corner will shut him down, cant wait till we play them this year

"norseforce" wrote:
    I respect your opions,but....strongly diagree,the seahawks lost the best guard in football,nate will never be a #1 recv. will never make the pro bowl, any top corner will shut him down, cant wait till we play them this year

THANK YOU!!! I couldn't agree more. Burleson is not a #1. Never will be. The only reason he had a good year in the 2004 season is because he had Moss to take some heat off him. If a defense has to shift or favor one receiver, it makes it easier for another to get open, make more plays and look better than they really are. The whole deal was much better for the Vikings. Hutch is dominant, and will be for years to come. Burleson on the other hand... will only be good again if he gets paired with another GREAT receiver. So let us look at the score...
    Vikings-1
    Seahawks-0
    How bout you sideburns.. You want somma this milk??

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

IMO..................

They aren't asking Nate to be a number 1 WR.

Nate will be fine at number two. He may not make it to the pro bowl, but it doesn't make him a bad WR. They might be over paying him a bit, we will see in do time. Then again, he might thrive in the WCO and get a lot YAC.

I wish him well, except when he plays us.

People keep saying Moss made him, but Moss wasn't on the field for half of the season. I think DC was the one that made him, along with Linehan's play calling.

"Texas_Viking" wrote:
    "norseforce" wrote:

THANK YOU!!! I couldn't agree more. Burleson is not a #1. Never will be. The only reason he had a good year in the 2004 season is because he had Moss to take some heat off him. If a defense has to shift or favor one receiver, it makes it easier for another to get open, make more plays and look better than they really are. The whole deal was much better for the Vikings. Hutch is dominant, and will be for years to come. Burleson on the other hand... will only be good again if he gets paired with another GREAT receiver. So let us look at the score...
    Vikings-1
    Seahawks-0
    Burleson may not be as high of caliber player as Hutch, but to say he is a product of Moss simply isnt true, like snowinapril said, he had his best year when he had to FILL IN for Randy Moss, not play along side him. IM just upset i bought his jersey last eyar.... :shock:

HE ONLY HAD ONE BIG GAME WHILE MOSS WAS OUT!... AGAINST GREENBAY.. EVERY OTHER GAME HE STRUGGLED!!
    How bout you sideburns.. You want somma this milk??

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Struggled???? 1006 yards for the season is struggling? Listen, Nate hasn't proven to be a star calibur player yet. However, he has shown greatness at times. He didn't play well last year but who on the Vikings did?

We all know that Nate has the ptoential to be a star WR in this league. Regardless of what you want to think. Now he's going to an already prolific offense (#1 in the NFL last year) with a great WR opposite of him, a great RB, and a Qb that can get him the ball. No, he's no Randy Moss or TO but he's an above average player with a great attitude about the game. Sometimes that makes all the difference. Look at Steve Largent. Was he the quickest WR? No. was Cris Carter? No. We do know he can catch the football and run after the catch. Seattle did good by obtaining him. The Vikings did great by getting Hutch and a 3rd round pick. But people need to stop underestimating Nate.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

It was certainly a good result for both sides.

Remember Seattle needed a Wide-Receiver after Joe Jurevicious left, and they've managed to sign a proven, if somewhat inconsistent up-to-now, performer in Nate Burleson. He's got great hands, and that's more important in an offense of short-passes and quick hitches than blazing speed. But then again, he never was #1 Wide-Receiver here, and there are doubts about his durability. I don't think he'll be a Pro-Bowler, but like others have said, you don't have to be a Pro-Bowler to be successful in the NFL. Look at the Pro-Bowl O-Lines? It's the same bloody people every year because us fans don't know what to look for in Lineman and just vote the same guys every year...

But I digress: They got a Wide-Receiver who should flourish in their offense, and.. Well.. We got arguably the best OG in the game at the moment and a Third-Round draft pick.

I'm happy!

:grin:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast