Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Scout: Young runs 40-yard dash in 4.58

From ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2380236

Quarterback Vince Young was timed in 4.58 seconds in the 40-yard dash Wednesday on what is considered a fast track at the University of Texas in Austin, one NFL scout told ESPN's Chris Mortensen. The scout said Young's time was slower than anticipated.

QB 40-yard dash times
    Reggie McNeal, Texas A&M, 4.35
    Marcus Vick, Va. Tech, 4.42
    Brad Smith, Missouri, 4.46
    D.J. Shockley, Georgia, 4.56
    Barrick Nealy, Texas St., 4.57
    Bruce Gradkowski, Toledo, 4.59
    Ingle Martin, Furman, 4.68
    Tarvaris Jackson, Alabama St., 4.75
    Brett Basanez, Northwestern, 4.75
    Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt, 4.77
    -- Vince Young's time of 4.58 would put him in sixth place among QBs

According to the same scout, Young's overall workout was "fairly impressive," but the scout said that Young was not asked to make certain drops and throws that he would have to perform in a private team workout.

While Young completed all but five of more than 50 passes, a scout told Mortensen, "That wasn't a remarkable achievement because he wasn't asked to make many tough throws and he waited a lot on his receivers to get out of their breaks. Teams that are curious about the guy are going to want to see more when they work him out."

One of those teams is the Tennessee Titans, who will give Young a private workout on Thursday in Austin, site of Wednesday's pro workout day for Young his his Longhorn teammates.

Other teams that have scheduled private workouts include the Houston Texans and New York Jets.

Asked to compare Young's workout to one given last Friday by Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler in cold weather and swirling winds, one scout said told Mortensen, "There was no comparison. Cutler made all the throws in tough conditions while Young limited his range of throws and he was indoors."

USC quarterback Matt Leinart, the consensus top passer available for the April 29 NFL draft, will work out on April 2 on the Southern Cal campus.

Young, the former Texas quarterback, worked out for 30 minutes in front of more than 100 NFL scouts, coaches and executives who are paying close attention to the quirky throwing motion that still raises questions despite delivering a national championship.

"Very impressed," said new Texans coach Gary Kubiak, whose team owns the No. 1 pick. "The kid put on a show."

Texas officials said Washington was the only team not to have someone watching the workout.

One owner, the Texans' Bob McNair, introduced himself to Young before the throwing session. Young is from Houston and has said he'd like to play for his hometown fans.

"I think he had a good workout," McNair said.

The Texans, who were 2-14 last season, are expected to lean toward drafting USC tailback and Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush after extending quarterback David Carr's contract for three years.

McNair said he hopes to attend Bush's workout early next month. But he also indicated the Texans haven't decided who to draft or whether to keep or trade the pick.

As a quarterback who can run or throw, Young is the most intriguing player in the draft, scheduled for April 29-30 in New York. He may also be the most scrutinized as teams try to decide whether his Rose Bowl performance of 467 total yards and three rushing touchdowns will translate into the NFL.

"It's a very valuable pick," McNair said. "We all want to make a good decision."

According to NFL.com, Young measured 6-foot-4 5/8 and 228 pounds. He ran one 40-yard dash, timing 4.57 seconds, although Young said he was told he timed between 4.4 and 4.5.

Although Young wasn't scheduled to run Wednesday, he said he wanted to after watching some of his teammates do it.

"They wanted to see me run, so I ran," he said.

The change of heart impressed Kubiak.

"He's very competitive and got in an environment where everybody wanted to see him operate," Kubiak said. "He did a great job."

Young spent most of the last two seasons operating out of the shotgun. Wednesday's drills had him taking simulated snaps under center and working with five- and seven-step drops in the pocket.

"I showed them everything they wanted to see," Young said, adding he'll do individual workouts for teams that ask.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Scout: Young runs 40-yard dash in 4.58

Cardinals | Rowen takes Young out to dinner
    Wed, 22 Mar 2006 22:06:07 -0800

Suzanne Halliburton, of the American-Statesman, reports Arizona Cardinals offensive coordinator Keith Rowen took Texas QB Vince Young out for dinner for an informal interview Tuesday, March 21.

Ravens | Team will have Young in for private workout
    Wed, 22 Mar 2006 22:05:54 -0800

Suzanne Halliburton, of the American-Statesman, reports the Baltimore Ravens have scheduled Texas QB Vince Young for a private workout, according to his agent Major Adams.

Jets | Team will have Young in for private workout
    Wed, 22 Mar 2006 22:05:41 -0800

Suzanne Halliburton, of the American-Statesman, reports the New York Jets have scheduled Texas QB Vince Young for a private workout, according to his agent Major Adams.

Texans | Team will have Young in for private workout
    Wed, 22 Mar 2006 22:05:25 -0800

Suzanne Halliburton, of the American-Statesman, reports the Houston Texans will invite Texas QB Vince Young to their offices for a private workout.

SIUviking is offline Starter

I say we get McNeal...his upside is just silly.
    "If you want me to go out there and get you 4 yards, I ll get you 4 yards. If you want me to go out there and get 6 yards, I ll go out there and get you 4 yards" -LeRoy Hoard Former Viking

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

He is a QB, who cares how fast he can run? I would be more concerned on his defensive reads and throwing mechanics.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    He is a QB, who cares how fast he can run? I would be more concerned on his defensive reads and throwing mechanics.
    He is a dual threat QB, if you want the best passing QB in the draft, then Young is not your guy. If it wasn't for his running ability, he wouldn't even be mentioned in this year's draft. He's a taller Michael Vick with a slightly better passing game.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    And his mechanics SUCK!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Sorry...but I would PASS on Vince Young...he's not as good as Michael Vick...and Vick is not that great!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

PurpleAndy is offline Starter

he's not as good as Michael Vick...
    In 5 years, after our 5th consecutive Super Bowl, I will remind you that you said this and then you shall feel downright silly!

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Sorry...but I would PASS on Vince Young...he's not as good as Michael Vick...and Vick is not that great!
    I wasn't implying that Michael Vick was good or bad, just that Vince Young is a qb in that mold. He is taller, stronger, and an incredible runner, but he will only work in systems that want to utilize those skills vs. a pure pocket passer. Its hard to compare Young to guys like Leinart because they have completely different skills. Its how the NFL teams decide to utilize those skills that will determine how effective each will be.

Put Vince on a team with a shitty offensive line and he still might make things happen, Leinart, forget about it. If you've got a team thats running tight short timing routes that demand accuracy and quick reads, Vince is not your man.

I don't think he's a good fit for MN, but I think he can be an impact player on the right team. I've doubted him since the day he started playing at UT, but he continues to prove me wrong, the dude is a winner.

PurpleAndy is offline Starter

I've watched Vince for the past 3 years here, and while he is an amazing athlete and I have no doubts will be a success in the NFL, I don't want him on the Vikings for the sole reason that he is not a West Coast QB. If I recall, we traded a fellow a few days ago because he didn't fit the mold, and I cannot see us drafting a player similar to him.

Ideally, I'd like to get Matt Leinart or Jay Cutler, or perhaps even Brady Quinn next year. While Vince is fun as hell to watch, he would be pigeon-holed in the offense that Childress is building, and would ultimately suffer because of it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast