Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Ryan Mallett Believes He Could "Thrive" Here

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1093648
    Any attempts at revival of the TJ saga should be banned !
    Lol

I had it written into my PP.O contract that I can bring up the failure of Chilly and TJ as many times as i want to until the Billionaires figure out how much they are going to pay the millionaires. :laugh:

There's no such thing as a 4 or 5 year QB project. Why would they be ready to start for you at the same time they are becoming a free agent and you have to sign them again, makes no sense?
    You are wise beyond your years my friend.

I thought you wanted Clemons, not Cutler

I think he actually did want Cutler. Clemons was his backup plan.

And getting the thread back on track,

Good luck with that lol

I agree, the statue holding a cannon will get hammered behind our O-line.
    maybe Leslie can hire a coach is is talented enough to fix that little issue.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1093716

maybe Leslie can hire a coach is is talented enough to fix that little issue.
    Shoulda woo'ed Munchak or Tice over here to play with Singletary.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

[quote="Marrdro" #1093680]
    pissed if they only got TJ (I was pissed but now I admit he was a good choice).
    And that right there is where you go off track. Why in the hell do you think he was a good choice?

I'd much rather have Ryan Mallett, WHO THINKS HE CAN THRIVE HERE
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

[quote="12purplepride28" #1093735]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093680
    And that right there is where you go off track. Why in the hell do you think he was a good choice?

First, Mallet and TJ are in two different draft classes.

Second, we needed to draft a QB that year. BJ wasn't gonna get us to far for very long. At that time, I believed, based on his play in 2005, he might have 2 years left in him, in the end he didn't even have a year.

Third, if you look at the QB's that were drafted in the 2006 class, who would you rather have than TJ? For me, right now, its just Cutler.

Fourth, at that point in the draft, everyone else, that was worth having, was gone with TJ being the only option left.

(....Marrdro can be heard cursing Fooley under his breath as he types this.....)
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

[quote="Marrdro" #1093736]
    Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1093735

Second, we needed to draft a QB that year. BJ wasn't gonna get us to far for very long. At that time, I believed, based on his play in 2005, he might have 2 years left in him, in the end he didn't even have a year.

Third, if you look at the QB's that were drafted in the 2006 class, who would you rather have than TJ? For me, right now, its just Cutler.

Fourth, at that point in the draft, everyone else, that was worth having, was gone with TJ being the only option left.

(....Marrdro can be heard cursing Fooley under his breath as he types this.....)
    Where they were wrong is simple. He was not worth trading up to get and more than likely would have been there at their next pick. If he hadn't been there then the reasonable thing to do was to get a veteran in there as the backup to Johnson.

the added benefit is we wouldn't have wasted 5 years debating a guy who never worked out and the team could have used those developmental hours on someone else.

[quote="Purple Floyd" #1093737]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093736
    Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1093735

Second, we needed to draft a QB that year. BJ wasn't gonna get us to far for very long. At that time, I believed, based on his play in 2005, he might have 2 years left in him, in the end he didn't even have a year but again, at that given point in time no one thought either team had gotten it right.

Where they were wrong is simple. He was not worth trading up to get and more than likely would have been there at their next pick. If he hadn't been there then the reasonable thing to do was to get a veteran in there as the backup to Johnson.

the added benefit is we wouldn't have wasted 5 years debating a guy who never worked out and the team could have used those developmental hours on someone else.
    But that isn't exactly accurate. Again, they (Fooley) felt that Clemens was gonna be there with their next pick and he wasn't.

There were 2 other teams still waiting to pick who had actively scouted TJ so the chances are, he wouldn't have been there.

Again, you have to put yourself into the shoes of the staff at that given point in time.

By the way, what vet? Its easy to say bring in a vet, but its harder to give the answer when you look at what was actually out there. Seriously, Pepp was considered the 2nd best FA and he was busted up followed closely by Kurt Warner (remember how he was considered damaged goods (mentally)), and Bree's was the top candidate and his health was questionable as well.

In the end, the Aints, and then the Cards, made the best decisions that year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093742
    But that isn't exactly accurate. Again, they (Fooley) felt that Clemens was gonna be there with their next pick and he wasn't.
    And from watching him, how bad did that turn out to be really?

There were 2 other teams still waiting to pick who had actively scouted TJ so the chances are, he wouldn't have been there.
    If that had happened, what would have we been out except 5 years of chilly/TJ topics?

Again, you have to put yourself into the shoes of the staff at that given point in time.
    In their shoes I would have waited until later to take Jackson or more than likely I would have drafted Charlie Whitehurst.

By the way, what vet? Its easy to say bring in a vet, but its harder to give the answer when you look at what was actually out there. Seriously, Pepp was considered the 2nd best FA and he was busted up followed closely by Kurt Warner (remember how he was considered damaged goods (mentally)), and Bree's was the top candidate and his health was questionable as well.
    Considering the comparison is any vet vs. TJ I would start out with Garcia. Then we had the ability to get Schaub and many others but chose not to because Chilly was tied at the hips to TJ.

Both of whom have been to the SB since then while the Vikings -Not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1093755
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093742
    And from watching him, how bad did that turn out to be really?
    Not bad at all. Again, I was off on both Clemens and TJ. Liked one who didn't turn out, didn't like one who I think is gonna turn out.

If that had happened, what would have we been out except 5 years of chilly/TJ topics?
    LOL, well played. Don't forget the beer Caine and EJ are gonna pay me.

In their shoes I would have waited until later to take Jackson or more than likely I would have drafted Charlie Whitehurst.
    I would have to go back and look at my notes (if I still have them) but for some reason I didn't like him.

In the end, just like TJ, he still might suprise us.

Considering the comparison is any vet vs. TJ I would start out with Garcia. Then we had the ability to get Schaub and many others but chose not to because Chilly was tied at the hips to TJ.
    Again, I don't think the Chiller was tied to TJ. I think he was very upset that he they wound up with him to begin with.

Second, they repeatedly brought in QB's during that time frame so we don't know why they didn't try to land Schaub, maybe they did.

Bigger point is, at that time I can distinctly remember people on here saying Schaub wasn't worth what the asking price was.

Can you say Kevin Kolb? Would you give 2 high round picks for him?

Both of whom have been to the SB since then while the Vikings -Not so much.
    As someone said most recently, I don't want to get to the SB, I want to win one.

Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:Not bad at all. Again, I was off on both Clemens and TJ. Liked one who didn't turn out, didn't like one who I think is gonna turn out.
    So you think Clemons is going to eventually turn out?

LOL, well played. Don't forget the beer Caine and EJ are gonna pay me
    And you think that you don't have a sense of humor......
    Again, I don't think the Chiller was tied to TJ. I think he was very upset that he they wound up with him to begin with.
    Come on Marty. That is so far from reality it stretches even your limits lol.

You and i both know that when Chiller doesn't want a player he gets rid of them. What he did with TJ is the exact opposite.

Second, they repeatedly brought in QB's during that time frame so we don't know why they didn't try to land Schaub, maybe they did.
    they were only bringing in guys so bad that they made TJ look good by comparison. Kinda reminded me of the whole wizard of oz thing.

Bigger point is, at that time I can distinctly remember people on here saying Schaub wasn't worth what the asking price was.
    I am not sure he was but then again it didn't stop the team from overpaying for other players.

Can you say Kevin Kolb? Would you give 2 high round picks for him?
    Hell no. But I am not sure he is better than TJ yet.

As someone said most recently, I don't want to get to the SB, I want to win one.
    Which is why getting as far away from TJ as fast as possible is the best thing to do.

Back on the subject:

Do you think mallett has the mental drive to take a team to the next level for a decade?

[quote="Purple Floyd" #1093762]
    So you think Clemons is going to eventually turn out?
    No, I thought Clemens would work out initially, now I don't think he will. I was wrong.

I thought TJ was nothing more than a project that probably wouldn't get drafted. Again, he got drafted, stuck around and I believe is going to be a good QB at the NFL level. Jury is still out, atleast for me, but I think he will succeed. Again, wrong.

Come on Marty. That is so far from reality it stretches even your limits lol.

You and i both know that when Chiller doesn't want a player he gets rid of them. What he did with TJ is the exact opposite.
    But that doesn't mean that the Chiller was sold on TJ as his only guy. Again, the staff, based on what we know prior to that draft, what happened during the draft liked 3 QB's.

No way you can tell me that the Chiller wanted TJ over Cutler. Atleast at that point in time.

Over time, much like me, I think TJ won the Chiller over, much like he did his teamates as well as some other detractors.

Don't forget what Cris Carter said about TJ last year after he worked out with him and Fritz over the offseason........"I was wrong about TJ. He is going to be a fine NFL QB and is ready to start".

Some of the guys on NFLN have TJ as one of the better FA's on the market right now.

they were only bringing in guys so bad that they made TJ look good by comparison. Kinda reminded me of the whole wizard of oz thing.
    I'm just not buying that. Teams do not do that. They try to put the best 53 players they can get on the field.

No one in a organization has the lattitude to go ahead and try to make a player look good by putting lesser players on the roster behind them.

Case in point, as soon as the Noodle was available they got him. If there would have been someone available they would have got him just as fast as they did the Noodle my friend.

I am not sure he was but then again it didn't stop the team from overpaying for other players.
    Like who? I know alot of people thought we over paid for Shanc, but once the OL stablized a bit and he was allowed to get into more routes, instead of blocking, he put up good numbers (pre Noodle). I think they gave alot of JA but in the end, that has worked out pretty good. Hutch got good bucks but has been worth every penny.

BB is the only one that seems to be not producing, but that he was his first year. I think we will see that production go back up again this year.

Hell no. But I am not sure he is better than TJ yet.
    See, that was the same thing most on here were saying about Schaub. Well, minus the TJ thing.

I think he is worth the picks and we should do whatever it takes to get him like the Bores did for Cutler. Even if it means we loose our 1rst and second this year.

Do you think mallett has the mental drive to take a team to the next level for a decade?
    He definately has an arm. Should be able to figure out how to read a defense at the next level.

Long story short, no. I don't like his feet and think that late in the games were we are behind and in passing situations and we need the QB to make plays, ..... you know, when defenses are really brining the heat, his feet will fail him and it will force him into things like getting rid of the ball to quick which will be a bad thing.

That will in turn start to wear on him mentally and he will break down. "Can you say Todd Marinovich"

If we do take him, I can only hope that the new coaching staff has figured out a way to overcome what his collegiate career has shown he has a habit of doing in big situations.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast