Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Ryan Mallett Believes He Could "Thrive" Here

Thanks for the read my friend. I am sure Mr. Mallet thinks he can "Thrive" just about any place he goes and would be probably damn happy to inherit a team that was recently back to back div champs as well as the NFC runner up in 2009.

Problem is........Other people don't think he could thrive..........

NFL.com's Gil Brandt says he would draft Nevada QB Colin Kaepernick over Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett.Brandt acknowledges that Mallett is a wild card who could go early or fall hard, but says, "I don't remember a QB coming in the league being that slow and still be successful." ESPN's Todd McShay's most recent mock draft has Mallett going 39th to the Titans, which is exactly where we had him on March 28. A league source recently told Profootballtalk.com that Kaepernick and Andy Dalton will likely both be drafted ahead of Mallett. Apr 11, 3:00 PM
    Gil Brandt on Mallet

One of the teams behind is is actively scouting the same QB's we are. This is a pretty decent article that has lots of quotes and looks at both sides of the discussion.

One thing I've zero'd in on when I was looking at him.........

Poll: Should the Dolphins draft heavily-scrutinized QB Ryan Mallett in the first round? And how real are his “character issues?”

Still, Mallett is not perfect on the field, either.

“No quarterback comes into the NFL a finished product, but I would say the main issue with him is his ability to react to pressure,” Cosell said. “To move within the pocket, re-set his feet and then deliver the football with the same accuracy that he does when he’s in the pocket. He moves and he loses his focus a bit, and then he loses his accuracy.”

“Now, can it be corrected? Physically, it can be, because you can make their feet quicker. The main question that goes with it is the ability to maintain downfield focus while you’re moving.”
    Lots of talent, should transition to the pro scheme with ease, question is, what happens to him when he faces the defenses at the next level.

I for one think he is to big and slow for our scheme for starters. I also think he melts down under pressure.

Long story longer, alot of comparisons out there. One I haven't heard, but think he could be compared to is another Vikings QB. Goes by the name of Jeff, I'm a super dickhead, George.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

“7,000-plus yards and 60 touchdowns in two seasons. That’s how I respond to that.” - Ryan Mallett

He's been compared to Peyton Manning.

He's been compared to Ryan Leaf.

There are draft analysts who expect his name to be called before bedtime on Thursday, April 28th. Others project him as a Saturday morning slider (fourth round).

Some teams have removed him from their draft boards altogether.

Ryan Mallett to the Vikings: Character Concerns Are Worth the Risk
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

If we can get better play out of our OL, Mallet may be a great pick for us, cuz he's the guy with the deep arm to back off the 8 in the box we've seen since we drafted AP.

I think there's a pretty good chance that time and coaching could help his feet/pocket presence. Sure, he's never going to bust off a 50 yard TD like Webb did preseason, but guys like Peyton and Brady don't usually need a lot of steps to buy the extra few seconds needed.

Thing is, pretty much all the QBs that look to be available at 12 are roughly equal gambles. There are several with potential, and issues. You've really got to sit down and get to know the kid, cuz these days, a QBs success has a lot more to do with his intelligence/work ethic/personality than his (non-NFL style) college game tape.

Locker has been linked to the Vikes over and over. Athletically, great. Character and work ethic seem to be there. The question becomes why the losses and loss of accuracy. How much of it can be blamed on his supporting cast (OL, WR talent) and how much is correctable/coachable...?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093368
    Thanks for the read my friend. I am sure Mr. Mallet thinks he can "Thrive" just about any place he goes and would be probably damn happy to inherit a team that was recently back to back div champs as well as the NFC runner up in 2009.

NFL.com's Gil Brandt says he would draft Nevada QB Colin Kaepernick over Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett.Brandt acknowledges that Mallett is a wild card who could go early or fall hard, but says, "I don't remember a QB coming in the league being that slow and still be successful." ESPN's Todd McShay's most recent mock draft has Mallett going 39th to the Titans, which is exactly where we had him on March 28. A league source recently told Profootballtalk.com that Kaepernick and Andy Dalton will likely both be drafted ahead of Mallett. Apr 11, 3:00 PM
    Gil Brandt on Mallet

One of the teams behind is is actively scouting the same QB's we are. This is a pretty decent article that has lots of quotes and looks at both sides of the discussion.

Poll: Should the Dolphins draft heavily-scrutinized QB Ryan Mallett in the first round? And how real are his “character issues?”

“No quarterback comes into the NFL a finished product, but I would say the main issue with him is his ability to react to pressure,” Cosell said. “To move within the pocket, re-set his feet and then deliver the football with the same accuracy that he does when he’s in the pocket. He moves and he loses his focus a bit, and then he loses his accuracy.”

“Now, can it be corrected? Physically, it can be, because you can make their feet quicker. The main question that goes with it is the ability to maintain downfield focus while you’re moving.”
    Lots of talent, should transition to the pro scheme with ease, question is, what happens to him when he faces the defenses at the next level.

I for one think he is to big and slow for our scheme for starters. I also think he melts down under pressure.

Long story longer, alot of comparisons out there. One I haven't heard, but think he could be compared to is another Vikings QB. Goes by the name of Jeff, I'm a super dickhead, George.
    This was also found in the same article.

"The criticism that Mallett is immobile and cannot run also seems misleading. In this YouTube highlight video, nearly half of his throws are made while on the run, and with good accuracy."

And this.

“This has been totally lost in the discussion about his other activities, but Ryan Mallett is really, really good at the line of scrimmage,” Cosell said. “Of all the top quarterbacks coming out in the draft, he had the most responsibility at the line of scrimmage for checks, for audibles, the run game – which is major in the NFL, to recognize the strength of the defensive formation, and know how to check runs from one side to the other. He did all those things at Arkansas.”

I'm not advocating taking Mallett at 12 but he could be that guy that comes into the league with that I'll show all the doubters chip on his shoulder.

I think Miami takes him at 15.

And actually George played fairly well when he was with the Vikings. Quick with his reads and an accurate passer.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Quote Originally Posted by "mountainviking" #1093388
    If we can get better play out of our OL, Mallet may be a great pick for us, cuz he's the guy with the deep arm to back off the 8 in the box we've seen since we drafted AP.

I think there's a pretty good chance that time and coaching could help his feet/pocket presence. Sure, he's never going to bust off a 50 yard TD like Webb did preseason, but guys like Peyton and Brady don't usually need a lot of steps to buy the extra few seconds needed.

Thing is, pretty much all the QBs that look to be available at 12 are roughly equal gambles. There are several with potential, and issues. You've really got to sit down and get to know the kid, cuz these days, a QBs success has a lot more to do with his intelligence/work ethic/personality than his (non-NFL style) college game tape.

Locker has been linked to the Vikes over and over. Athletically, great. Character and work ethic seem to be there. The question becomes why the losses and loss of accuracy. How much of it can be blamed on his supporting cast (OL, WR talent) and how much is correctable/coachable...?
    As always, a quality post my friend especially the bolded part.

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1093389
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093368

Gil Brandt on Mallet

This was also found in the same article.

"The criticism that Mallett is immobile and cannot run also seems misleading. In this YouTube highlight video, nearly half of his throws are made while on the run, and with good accuracy."

And this.

“This has been totally lost in the discussion about his other activities, but Ryan Mallett is really, really good at the line of scrimmage,” Cosell said. “Of all the top quarterbacks coming out in the draft, he had the most responsibility at the line of scrimmage for checks, for audibles, the run game – which is major in the NFL, to recognize the strength of the defensive formation, and know how to check runs from one side to the other. He did all those things at Arkansas.”

I'm not advocating taking Mallett at 12 but he could be that guy that comes into the league with that I'll show all the doubters chip on his shoulder.
    Again, I agree and wouldn't complain if Mallet is the guy. As I said, he was my first choice when I started this process, mostly because of the snippets you posted from the article.

I loved that he played under Center. I loved that he can make like calls. I loved that he had a big arm.

The article says he can move. There are alot more that say he can't.
    My issues with him now are solely based on that "Percieved" lack of mobility and what happens to him in big games when the defense collapses the pocket on him because of it.

I think Miami takes him at 15.
    The good thing for us, we pick ahead of Miami. They, along with Seattle are very heaviliy scouting Mallet and Locker.

And actually George played fairly well when he was with the Vikings. Quick with his reads and an accurate passer.
    I still remember the game he ran away from the fumble instead of trying to get it. Cost us a playoff berth.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093367
    Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1093349
    I'm not a fan of trading back because of what people think his value is. If Frazier believes he's our guy then we don't risk missing out on him to get another pick. Take him if we like him, or trade up to get him from the second. But don't miss out on him because of his "value".
    Don't want to seem like I am picking on you my friend. I just don't know if I can go through another coaches tenure with everyone blaming the HC for not getting it right when it comes to the QB position.

Long story short, it isn't a "Frazier" call. This is a organizations call.

The Public Relations dept, the Medical Dept, Bryzcheapski, Scouts, Coaches, VP of Player Personnel, heck even the owner, will have a say in this pick, just like they have done in the past.

No team, lets the HC make decisions like this all by himself. No team my friend.

Again, not picking on you, just had to get on my soapbox one more time.
    I didn't mean to say that it is completely up to Frazier, but he will play a huge part in it and I believe that he will have a big part in the decision making process. If he finds someone he really likes, then he is going to relay that to spielman, wilf, and/or whoever else is involved in the drafting process. I think wilf trusts frazier enough to go with a guy that frazier hand picked, and if that is mallett, we should take him at 12.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1093397
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093367
    Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1093349
    I'm not a fan of trading back because of what people think his value is. If Frazier believes he's our guy then we don't risk missing out on him to get another pick. Take him if we like him, or trade up to get him from the second. But don't miss out on him because of his "value".
    Don't want to seem like I am picking on you my friend. I just don't know if I can go through another coaches tenure with everyone blaming the HC for not getting it right when it comes to the QB position.

Long story short, it isn't a "Frazier" call. This is a organizations call.

The Public Relations dept, the Medical Dept, Bryzcheapski, Scouts, Coaches, VP of Player Personnel, heck even the owner, will have a say in this pick, just like they have done in the past.

No team, lets the HC make decisions like this all by himself. No team my friend.

Again, not picking on you, just had to get on my soapbox one more time.
    I didn't mean to say that it is completely up to Frazier, but he will play a huge part in it and I believe that he will have a big part in the decision making process. If he finds someone he really likes, then he is going to relay that to spielman, wilf, and/or whoever else is involved in the drafting process. I think wilf trusts frazier enough to go with a guy that frazier hand picked, and if that is mallett, we should take him at 12.
    Nothing against Leslie, but I hope Musgrove (OCoord) and Johnson (QB Coach) have a bigger say than a HC with a sole experience in defense.

Vikes scouting department are far better talent evaluators than I am, so I defer to them. The drug addiction and leadership questions are my only two issues here. IF the organization is satisfied with him, great. I hope he is the guy. Like many of you have said if he is there at 12 and he is the guy they want they should take him.

I personally am just not sold on this year's QB class; but who knows it might be like 1983 all over again........

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1093336
    Quote Originally Posted by "b_sandhar_29" #1093332
    I like what HE can be, but I don't think you risk it at 12 for him. Unless your absolutely sure he's a stud go conservative aka defense wait for a QB in the second. Or trade back get some picks pick him late in the first or early in the second.
    Don't agree.

If there's a guy we like, and we feel confident drafting him, do NOT pass on him just because of perceived value. If we think we can move back 5-10 spots and still get him, fine. But I don't want to wait until round 2, because there's not going to be anybody worthy there.
    Isn't that basically the same strategy used to move up and draft Tavaris? The staff believed he was going to be our future, so he was drafted a couple of rounds ahead of his projected round.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast