Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: running backs

chilifoot is offline Starter

Re: running backs

having just one workhorse back is simply not as crucial to a WCO... very few WCO have had one back who carries the ball 25 times a game.... it's a more quick-pass oriented offense, with multiple backs usually shouldering the load.... the offense childress ran in philadelphia never used just one back as the feature back... the WCO in general is an offense that requires less individual talent (i.e. superstars), and more hard-workers who can dedicate themselves to a system which treats each player the same (i.e. no Randy-ratio)... no one player needs to be better than any other because they all have an equal opportunity to get the ball just depending on what the situation calls for

this is why we didn't go spend our money on a big-name back like James or Lewis, because those guys want the ball 25 times a game... the WCO just doesn't call for that.... now, that's not to say Chester Taylor won't touch the ball that many times in a game, but he won't do it all on the ground... and he won't have to do it all by himself...

instead we spent our money on one of the most dominant offensive lineman in the league, which suddenly turned a weak spot into a strong point....

oh, and i don't think we'll spend a single pick on a running back in the draft this year.....

watch, now we'll take deangelo williams at 17

Jeremy is offline Starter

"chilifoot" wrote:
    having just one workhorse back is simply not as crucial to a WCO... very few WCO have had one back who carries the ball 25 times a game.... it's a more quick-pass oriented offense, with multiple backs usually shouldering the load.... the offense childress ran in philadelphia never used just one back as the feature back... the WCO in general is an offense that requires less individual talent (i.e. superstars), and more hard-workers who can dedicate themselves to a system which treats each player the same (i.e. no Randy-ratio)... no one player needs to be better than any other because they all have an equal opportunity to get the ball just depending on what the situation calls for

this is why we didn't go spend our money on a big-name back like James or Lewis, because those guys want the ball 25 times a game... the WCO just doesn't call for that.... now, that's not to say Chester Taylor won't touch the ball that many times in a game, but he won't do it all on the ground... and he won't have to do it all by himself...

instead we spent our money on one of the most dominant offensive lineman in the league, which suddenly turned a weak spot into a strong point....

oh, and i don't think we'll spend a single pick on a running back in the draft this year.....

watch, now we'll take deangelo williams at 17
    If they had a back that could carry the ball 20 times a game they would do it. Shaun Alexander does it in Seattle and Ahman Green did it in Green Bay. Both guys are west coast backs.

Philli passed all the time becuae McNabb is thir best playmaker. It really depends on what your have on your roster. The west coast offense is very abaptable. I don't see Johnson passing the ball 30+ times a game like McNabb did. They will go with a more balanced attack.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

i think we will take a big RB in the 6th or 7th round..i saw a huge guy that was like 230 projected somewhere late, but i cant remember the site i saw it on, or what his name or school was..we could use somebody that size for goal-line and short yardage situations, just somebody who can do what bettis does in pittsburgh right now..i know its dumb to compare a 6th or 7th rounder to bettis, but im referring to the current bettis who is not so shifty anymore, who is just used put his head down and plow into the line on 3rd and 4th down..i think taylor will be the starting RB on this team when the season opens, with moore being the primary backup
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"badbois" wrote:
    We can't use a high pick on a rb. I think chester will atart and moore will get plenty of time because his style fits the system. onterio will be the primary backup, fason will work short yardage. that's what I think they should do.
    man, take a look at the goal-line runs fason had last year against pittsburgh..3rd and 4th down he tried to bounce outside with the endzone right in front of him..its not his game..his talents lie elsewhere, which is nowhere near any short yardage situation..smith would be far better suited to assume that role because hes the only back we have that likes to run straight up the middle with his head down
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

stjmnsota is offline Pro-Bowler

"UndisputedVike" wrote:
    Fason never was a short yardage back...Meathead used him that way cause of his build.

Oh and um Moe Williams is 205 LBS and he was an awesome short yardage back. So his weight has nothing to with it. Plus the fact he's a rookie and our running game sucked period so.

I say give him another chance.
    Moe is an exception. No one runs like Moe. But wouldn't you feel much more confindent in someone running like Bettis? That's my point. maybe a lendale white? Fason, just isn't a short yardage guy. Good line or bad.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"stjmnsota" wrote:
    "UndisputedVike" wrote:
    Fason never was a short yardage back...Meathead used him that way cause of his build.

Oh and um Moe Williams is 205 LBS and he was an awesome short yardage back. So his weight has nothing to with it. Plus the fact he's a rookie and our running game sucked period so.

I say give him another chance.
    Moe is an exception. No one runs like Moe. But wouldn't you feel much more confindent in someone running like Bettis? That's my point. maybe a lendale white? Fason, just isn't a short yardage guy. Good line or bad.
    That is true bettis got large but he still could run

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"olson_10" wrote:
    "badbois" wrote:
    We can't use a high pick on a rb. I think chester will atart and moore will get plenty of time because his style fits the system. onterio will be the primary backup, fason will work short yardage. that's what I think they should do.
    man, take a look at the goal-line runs fason had last year against pittsburgh..3rd and 4th down he tried to bounce outside with the endzone right in front of him..its not his game..his talents lie elsewhere, which is nowhere near any short yardage situation..smith would be far better suited to assume that role because hes the only back we have that likes to run straight up the middle with his head down
    I could not agree more, short yardage is not made for Fason.

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

Exactly. Fason is getting the Ron Dayne treatment which doomed his career.

Json is offline GM

I agree with Fason not being a short yardage back. Tice just didn't have anyone else to plug that spot when Moe went down with an injury last year. Who else was going to fill the void?

Prophet Guest

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    Exactly. Fason is getting the Ron Dayne treatment which doomed his career.
    Might be. I think a steady diet of cheeseburgers is what ruined Ron 'Cheeseburger' Dayne's career.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast