sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

The Root of the Problem?

Sports Illustrated had a recent article with an excerpt (in bold letters) that I don't think anyone has touched on yet, and I wonder if this is the basic root of the problem with DC?

Here's an excerpt:

"Having lived through last year's Terrell Owens debacle in Philadelphia, new Vikings head coach Brad Childress was in no mood to spend all year trying to placate disgruntled Minnesota quarterback Daunte Culpepper, whom the club is expected to trade (probably to Oakland) by the end of the weekend.

Believe it or not, Culpepper is said to still have a chip on his shoulder against Childress due to the 1999 draft, when the Eagles rated Syracuse quarterback Donovan McNabb ahead of Culpepper. McNabb went second overall. Culpepper was taken 11th out of Central Florida. The other three passers taken in the top 12 of that memorable quarterback class -- No. 1 Tim Couch, No. 3 Akili Smith, and No. 12 Cade McNown -- are out of the NFL.

Childress is also open to moving Culpepper because he believes the Vikings stand a better chance to win this year with veteran Brad Johnson running the version of the West Coast offense that Minnesota is installing. Johnson won a Super Bowl in 2002 playing in Tampa Bay's West Coast offense, and he is one of the league's best at quickly assimilating terminology and playbooks."

From reading different articles about this situation, it appears the management has reached out on several occasions, and DC snubbed them.

Perhaps this is the root of the problem that started everything . . . way back in 1999!

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Re: The Root of the Problem?

Very interesting read, thanks for posting. I guess i could understand that, as childish as it is. It does sound somewhat like the new Daunte

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

Here's the link to the complete article -> http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/03/10/snap.judgments.fa/index.html

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

If that is true about the "chip on the shoulder", then there is nothing that we can do...so long Pep...it was nice knowing you.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Prophet Guest

I think it has been touched on.

Daunte is in tough times and in tough times a man's character comes out. He has so much pride that it is unhealthy. The pride allows him to have his feelings hurt if his ego isn't stroked enough. Poor Daunte, don't you want to just give him a hug? If he was a 5 yr old I would, but he is suppose to be the field general receiving a multi-million dollar salary for playing a game.

His feelings got hurt. Then they got hurt again. Did he ever look inward and decide that it was under his own control to not let that affect him? It appears not based on his actions.

He may grow up mentally, hopefully it happens before his gifted athleticism fades. If he does come into a spiritual, mental, and physical awareness during his professional football career he will be a power to be reckoned with. Until that happens he will never be as good as he could be.