Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

Rookies Jon Alston and Sam Smith visit da Vikes

Vikings | Team to have a pre-draft visit with J. Alston
    Fri, 7 Apr 2006 05:53:24 -0700

Don Seeholzer, of the Pioneer Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings are expected to conduct a pre-draft visit with Stanford LB Jon Alston.

Vikings | Team to have a pre-draft visit with S. Smith
    Fri, 7 Apr 2006 05:51:05 -0700

Don Seeholzer, of the Pioneer Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings are expected to conduct a pre-draft visit with Delaware State S Sam Smith.
    ================================================
    Here's da poop on Alston. I'm still lookin' for sumpin' on dat Sam Smith mug.
    ================================================
    Jon Alston
    OLB | (6'0", 223, 4.5) | STANFORD

Scouts Grade: 73

Strengths: One of the fastest linebackers in this year's class. A fluid athlete. Has excellent range in run support. Pursues hard, takes good angles and closes quickly. He hits a lot harder than his small frame would indicate. He has great power in his hips and upper body. Is a solid wrap up tackler in space. Has become a legitimate pass-rushing weapon. Has great instincts and closing burst when turned loose on the blitz. Also does a good job of using double moves to stay off of blocks. He continues to improve in coverage and the has fluidity and speed to match up in the NFL. He also shows decent ball skills. Has great experience and has been extremely productive in the past on special teams.

Weaknesses: Is undersized. Lacks ideal bulk and lower body strength. Gets washed out too easily in the phone booth. Needs to improve his base and continue to get bigger. He has to be on the move to be effective vs. the run. He still has room to improve in terms of his ability to take on and disengage from blocks. He also needs to improve his recognition skills and consistency in coverage. Is a much better pass rusher than cover guy at this point. A late-bloomer who will need time to develop physically in the NFL.

Overall: He redshirted in 2001 and was a part-time starter throughout his true freshman season in 2002 and sophomore season in 2003. As a junior in 2004, he started all 11 games and finished with 62 tackles, 10 sacks, 14.5 tackles for loss, one interception and three forced fumbles. He has started 16 games in his three-year career and was named Second-Team All-Pac-10 as a junior in 2004. Alston started all 11 games as a senior in 2005 and finished with 52 tackles, 9.5 TFL, 6.5 sacks and one interception. He was named honorable mention All-Pac-10 as a senior. Alston has always had good athleticism and speed but he struggled to overcome his lack of ideal size and strength early in his career. He finally had a breakout season as a junior in 2004 and he continued to play at a very high level as a senior in 2005. Alston is a bit of a 'tweener WLB/SS prospect but we think his best fit would be as a WLB in a scheme that emphasizes speed over size (ie Colts and Buccaneers). He will need time to develop physically before he's ready to compete for a consistent role on defense in the NFL, but he is an excellent special teams player and can contribute in that facet early in his pro career. If Alston is not taken late in the third round, he will be a great value early on the second day of the 2006 draft.
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

sirweeze is offline Starter

Re: Rookies Jon Alston and Sam Smith visit da Vikes

Alston sounds like he'd be a good fit, and at the very least he sounds like he'd be a good special teams guy... as in, the first guy downfield to hit someone.

The only thing I can find on Sam Smith is that he used to be a linebacker and switched to DB.

Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

Dis is all I could find on dis Sam Smith mug, from da 2005 roster of da mighty Delaware State Hornets. He must be flyin' below da radar, 'cause dis is all I could find on 'im, y'know?
    =================================================
    Sam Smith

SR LB/DB 6-0 200
    William Penn University (IA)
    St. Petersburg, FL
    *** Preseason All-MEAC First Team ***

2004: Don Hansen Division I-AA All-America Third Team and All-MEAC First Team selection . starting strong safety in all 11 games . team leader with 104 total tackles . also led Hornets with 50 solo tackles, 14.5 tacklesfor- loss (-79) and 6.5 sacks (-49) . also credited with four pass break-ups and a safety . second in MEAC in sacks (0.59 pg) . third in the MEAC in tackles (9.5 pg) and tackles-for-loss (1.27 pg) . led all Division I-AA defensive backs in tackles-for-loss . named MEAC Defensive Playerof- the-Week after recording 16 tackles (eight solo), two sacks (-18), a tackle-for-loss and two pass break-ups in loss to Bethune-Cookman (Oct. 9) . had 14 tackles, including 12 unassisted, 2.5 tackles-for-loss and 1.5 sacks in 33-28 win over Norfolk State (Nov. 13) .credited with 13 tackles (six solo), two sacks (-12) and another backfield stop (-4) in 28-23 win over Hampton (Oct. 2) . recorded 11 tackles (three solo), 1.5 backfield stops and a pass break-up in 15-6 win over North Carolina A&T (Oct. 16) . had four solo tackles, four assists and a pass break-up in 28-14 loss to South Carolina State (Oct. 30) . team co-captain in his first year on the active roster . At William Penn: Played in all 11 games in 2002 . 2002 Mid-States Football Association All-Conference Second Team . recorded 50 total tackles (41 solo), four interceptions and 19 pass break-ups in 2002 . At Pinellas Park: All-State Honorable Mention, All-District and All-Conference Defensive Player-of- the-Year . played for head football coach James Adams . also lettered in basketball and track and field . Personal: Son of Bernard and Betty Smith (step-mother) . born 9/7/82.
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

Alston sounds good to me. I haven't seen him play but it sounds like he is undersized which is never a concern of mine if the kid can play. Maybe he'll have problems early with assignments but that is always the story with our LBs. Maybe since he went to Stanford he has a good head on his shoulders and can pick things up quickly.

"One of the fastest linebackers in this year's class. A fluid athlete. Has excellent range in run support. Pursues hard, takes good angles and closes quickly. He hits a lot harder than his small frame would indicate."

I like the sound of that

[color=red]