Re: Rookie quarterbacks could make immediate impact

"Garland" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    Well, some points:

a. I also don't really care that much about who plays QB, if we get the "W"
    b. I will admit it if Tarvaris proves me wrong. Until then.. :
    c. Tom Brady was a 4th-round pick I think, and started his first season, after "everyone" said he had no track record in the NFL and was thus a 3rd stringer
    d. Booty is like Matt Schaub, and will fit our system very well (he already knows the offense from USC, and so doesn't have to learn it from scratch). I agree that Booty would not fit many offenses (Raiders, etc.). But he fits ours very well.

Someone posted a video of Booty's screwups. But hey, I could (but won't) post a video of Tarvaris vs. the Redskins last year.
    Tom Brady was a sixth round pick, and he didn't start until his second season.
    And he didn't win the starting position, he was thrust in via injury, and played surprisingly well.
    Next.
    Funny how now the Booty supporters are using late round picks making good QB's.

Does anyone remember a lot of those same type of people not liking T-Jack as a QB because he was a 2nd rounder & not a 1st?
    There are a ton of 1st round picks that are no longer in the NFL, Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch. I would have to look and do research on who was a QB taken after the 3 round that has had a great NFL career. I say 3rd round because I still believe that a second round still has great value and in some cases maybe even better than some first rounders picked. Tom Brady happens to be the one that most people remember for more recent QB's. I am sure there are QB's that 20-30 years ago would fit into that but I am not sure about QB's from the last 10 tears or so.
    Brad Johnson, 9th round
    Johnny Unitas, 9th round
    Bart Starr, 17th round

Just to name three.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Chazz is offline Coordinator

"singersp" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "gopackgo" wrote:
    I really dont see any QB starting the season for any team besides Matt Ryan. I believe Boller will start for the Ravens, and Flacco will be brought in eventually.

Brohm was drafted because the Packers draft BPA. Brohm was the BPA for them. Unless Rodgers gets hurt, or completely bombs, he wont be replaced. My guess is Brohm will be the starting QB for a team a couple years from now when the Pack trade him for a draft pick.

Same situation with Jackson and Booty. I see no chance of Booty starting unless Jackson gets hurt. Jackson may not have all the skills, but he has experience starting a whole season for the Vikes. Changing the QB won't do much good anyway, as Minnesota is based around the running game and defense. This team is probably headed to the playoffs next season, and changing QB's midway through is a sure-fire way to screw up chemistry.
    There will be alot of arm chair QB'ing by the Atlanta coaching staff my friend as it relates to who should start......

Should they throw him to the wolves and let him struggle (ala Aikmen/Manning and yes TJ) at the risk of messing up his physique and the possible alienation of fans

or

Should they let one of thier other scrubs start, take the beating as the rest of the team jells and then start him late in the season/next year.

As you can see from this site, the first option can cause alot of hate and discontent amongst fans who don't understand what the staff is trying to do because of the growing pains surrounding starting a young QB right out of the gate.

My guess is none of the rookies will start this year but about mid season you will see Ryan and Flacco get some playing time.

The thing with Ryan is he was the 3rd over all pick and will be getting paid quite handsomely. When a guy is getting paid that much money, people, especially the owner, want to see him on the field earning his money. QBs drafted in the top ten rarely sit on the bench for long.
    Tell us what you mean by "for long" so we can better tear that statement apart & prove you wrong.

Have at it. I want names and links.

Lets see how many you can find who did not end up starting their first year.

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

"Chazz" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "gopackgo" wrote:
    I really dont see any QB starting the season for any team besides Matt Ryan. I believe Boller will start for the Ravens, and Flacco will be brought in eventually.

Brohm was drafted because the Packers draft BPA. Brohm was the BPA for them. Unless Rodgers gets hurt, or completely bombs, he wont be replaced. My guess is Brohm will be the starting QB for a team a couple years from now when the Pack trade him for a draft pick.

Same situation with Jackson and Booty. I see no chance of Booty starting unless Jackson gets hurt. Jackson may not have all the skills, but he has experience starting a whole season for the Vikes. Changing the QB won't do much good anyway, as Minnesota is based around the running game and defense. This team is probably headed to the playoffs next season, and changing QB's midway through is a sure-fire way to screw up chemistry.
    There will be alot of arm chair QB'ing by the Atlanta coaching staff my friend as it relates to who should start......

Should they throw him to the wolves and let him struggle (ala Aikmen/Manning and yes TJ) at the risk of messing up his physique and the possible alienation of fans

or

Should they let one of thier other scrubs start, take the beating as the rest of the team jells and then start him late in the season/next year.

As you can see from this site, the first option can cause alot of hate and discontent amongst fans who don't understand what the staff is trying to do because of the growing pains surrounding starting a young QB right out of the gate.

My guess is none of the rookies will start this year but about mid season you will see Ryan and Flacco get some playing time.

The thing with Ryan is he was the 3rd over all pick and will be getting paid quite handsomely. When a guy is getting paid that much money, people, especially the owner, want to see him on the field earning his money. QBs drafted in the top ten rarely sit on the bench for long.
    Tell us what you mean by "for long" so we can better tear that statement apart & prove you wrong.

I started with the 2003 draft, one qb taken in the top ten Carson Plamer... did not play his rookie year http://www.nfl.com/players/carsonpalmer/profile?id=PAL249055

2004 draft Eli Manning and Philip Rivers were drafted in the first round Eli started 7 games his rookie year and Philip didnt start one game his rookie year or his sophomore year
    http://www.nfl.com/players/philiprivers/profile?id=RIV651634

2005 draft Alex Smith was the only one drafted in the top ten started seven game.

2006 draft Vince young and Matt Leinhart Vince started 13
    games Leinhart started 11 games

2007 draft Jamarcus Russel started 2 games

Chazz is offline Coordinator

"DustinDupont" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=gopackgo link=topic=44481.msg771814#msg771814 date=1209501580]

or

I started with the 2003 draft, one qb taken in the top ten Carson Plamer... did not play his rookie year http://www.nfl.com/players/carsonpalmer/profile?id=PAL249055

2004 draft Eli Manning and Philip Rivers were drafted in the first round Eli started 7 games his rookie year and Philip didnt start one game his rookie year or his sophomore year

2005 draft Alex Smith was the only one drafted in the top ten started seven game.

[/quote]

Five of the last seven QBs, so five of the coaches gave in to the pressure of having a top pick riding the pine. I stand by my statement.

The two that weren't; Palmer...Bengals had Kitna at QB and playing well; Rivers held out.....Chargers then had to start Brees again, who went on to have a pro bowl year. The pressure is much lower to start your rookie when the guy playing is doing it well.

Where are Singersp and Marrdro to prove to me how right they are??

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Chazz" wrote:
    "DustinDupont" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Chazz" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=44481.msg771819#msg771819 date=1209502028]
    [quote author=gopackgo link=topic=44481.msg771814#msg771814 date=1209501580]

or

[/quote]

Five of the last seven QBs, so five of the coaches gave in to the pressure of having a top pick riding the pine. I stand by my statement.

The two that weren't; Palmer...Bengals had Kitna at QB and playing well; Rivers held out.....Chargers then had to start Brees again, who went on to have a pro bowl year. The pressure is much lower to start your rookie when the guy playing is doing it well.

Where are Singersp and Marrdro to prove to me how right they are??
    [/quote]
    LOL,
    Quite cracking me up.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Re: Booty could get starting job in pre-season

"DJDozier" wrote:
    My thinking? There's a reason JDB fell to the fifth round amongst a thin field of QBs. He's mediocre at best and has very little upside.

If TJ continues to grow, and he did show spurts late last season, he can at least ascend to adequate and maybe all the way to above average. I have a hunch that while he's probably not gonna be in the pro bowl, he's gonna make big enough strides to become a solid asset. He could use a decent TE but....
    DJ,
    What do you have to back up your thinking other then where Booty was drafted?
    Have you watched many of his games?
    If you watched his 2 Rose Bowls, I don't think you would be saying "mediocre".

If you read any pro analysts you would be hard pressed to say "very little upside".

I'm a Pac 10 fan, alumni from AZ State, although I HATE USC, I still like to watch their games.
    My favorite thing about Booty is how calm he looks in the pocket and the way he delivers short passes to receivers in stride so they get good YAC's.
    This is why I'm a Vikes fan.

Reason I think Booty fell is that he's not a QB for every team.
    Booty mentioned a week before the draft that he would like to go to the Vikes, Pete Carroll thought the Vikes were a good team for him, and the Vikes front office did too.
    I've listed in other threads what I think Booty brings to the Vikes that TJ lacks and what TJ has that Booty lacks.

Who knows the Vikes might have taken him in the 3rd or 4th round, but they didn't have any picks there.
    Taking him in the 2nd round would be foolish, as he would definitely be available later.
    I personally would like to know where the Vikes had him on their draft board.
    I think it was higher than 5th round.

Overall, I would NOT dismiss Booty just because he was chosen in the 5th round, by a team that didn't have any 3rd or 4th round picks or that other teams didn't draft him eailier.
    Each team has different systems, different needs, and different points of view.
    Pete Carroll was the Vikes DB coach for 5 years and runs a complex pro-style WCO at USC.
    He could have called someone and said "he's a perfect fit for your system".
    We don't know.

All I know is he's a Vike, thus I hope he's the next Montana.
    Not trashing TJ.... just supporting another Vike QB.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

I thought Schutz would have quieted these pointless Booty threads by holding a mirror up to the ridiculousness of them, yet the pointless banter continues. Can we wait until AT LEAST TRAINING CAMP? PRESEASON?

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

"DeathtoDenny" wrote:
    I thought Schutz would have quieted these pointless Booty threads by holding a mirror up to the ridiculousness of them, yet the pointless banter continues. Can we wait until AT LEAST TRAINING CAMP? PRESEASON?
    Training camp is too far away and I like typing Booty

Booty
    ;D Booty
    ;D Booty
    ;D

That said, if we can't prognosticate the future, this site would be borrrrriiiiinnnngggg

:P

[size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Booty could get starting job in pre-season

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Did anyone notice how Childress said that he likes Booty and is wondering if Booty could start, and if he can make "all the throws" in our offensive scheme ? Chilly later went on to say that if Booty shows it in the pre-season...

To me, this is a veiled statement that the QB position is open and that Booty can take it by stepping up and being good in the pre-season. Booty will get lots of snaps in the first 4 games before the season officially starts, and I think he can win the job this way.
    I disagree that he has the opportunity to "win" the job in preseaosn. I think that after dedicating the better part of two years to TJ we have to at LEAST give him the chance to start the first 8 or 10 games of the saeson. If we are anywhere remotely close to .500 at that time, then TJ will keep the job, probably for the rest of the season or until we are out of playoff contention. I don't think we see Booty unless things go horribly wrong with performance or injury.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    Well, some points:

a. I also don't really care that much about who plays QB, if we get the "W"
    b. I will admit it if Tarvaris proves me wrong. Until then.. :
    c. Tom Brady was a 4th-round pick I think, and started his first season, after "everyone" said he had no track record in the NFL and was thus a 3rd stringer
    d. Booty is like Matt Schaub, and will fit our system very well (he already knows the offense from USC, and so doesn't have to learn it from scratch). I agree that Booty would not fit many offenses (Raiders, etc.). But he fits ours very well.

Someone posted a video of Booty's screwups. But hey, I could (but won't) post a video of Tarvaris vs. the Redskins last year.
    Tom Brady was a sixth round pick, and he didn't start until his second season.
    And he didn't win the starting position, he was thrust in via injury, and played surprisingly well.
    Next.
    Funny how now the Booty supporters are using late round picks making good QB's.

Does anyone remember a lot of those same type of people not liking T-Jack as a QB because he was a 2nd rounder & not a 1st?
    There are a ton of 1st round picks that are no longer in the NFL, Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch. I would have to look and do research on who was a QB taken after the 3 round that has had a great NFL career. I say 3rd round because I still believe that a second round still has great value and in some cases maybe even better than some first rounders picked. Tom Brady happens to be the one that most people remember for more recent QB's. I am sure there are QB's that 20-30 years ago would fit into that but I am not sure about QB's from the last 10 tears or so.
    Brad Johnson, 9th round
    Johnny Unitas, 9th round
    Bart Starr, 17th round

Just to name three.
    Well look at the guys who have starting jobs right now as late round picks:

Brady - 6th Round
    Romo - Undrafted
    Bulger - 6th Round
    Derek Anderson - 6th Round
    Hasselbeck -6th Round
    Jon Kitna - Undrafted
    David Garrard - 4th Round

Those are all guys who have made deep playoff runs or had Pro Bowl seasons as late round guys.

Of course, for every one of those guys you have a Palmer, Manning (2), Rivers, etc. that was a first round pick and is now successful.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast