Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Rookie quarterbacks could make immediate impact

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    I struggle to understand how people can imagine a scenario where a 5th round rookie quarterback would have any shot at starting over Jackson or even Frerrotte.
    Lump me in with that struggle.

My guess is that it stems from a complete missunderstanding of what the current staff is trying to do with thier current starter and the downside that us fans see when doing it.

Without getting into details.....My assumption is that the downside we have been subjected to of late will be alleviated as the coaching staff goes over all the tape and extra classroom study with him, our WR's, TE's RB's and OL.

;D
    I agree.
    He may very well have a chance at starting in 09 or 10 (more likely 10), but not this year unless both TJack and Frerotte go down with injury (hey, it happened last year with TJack and Holcomb).
    It did at that.
    And if it does happen I will be rooting my ass off for the kid just as a certain starting QB and Gussy boy will be as well.

Lets not forget, this is still a team sport even though some fans want to make it into some sort of agenda to prove a point.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

gopackgo is offline Waterboy

I really dont see any QB starting the season for any team besides Matt Ryan. I believe Boller will start for the Ravens, and Flacco will be brought in eventually.

Brohm was drafted because the Packers draft BPA. Brohm was the BPA for them. Unless Rodgers gets hurt, or completely bombs, he wont be replaced. My guess is Brohm will be the starting QB for a team a couple years from now when the Pack trade him for a draft pick.

Same situation with Jackson and Booty. I see no chance of Booty starting unless Jackson gets hurt. Jackson may not have all the skills, but he has experience starting a whole season for the Vikes. Changing the QB won't do much good anyway, as Minnesota is based around the running game and defense. This team is probably headed to the playoffs next season, and changing QB's midway through is a sure-fire way to screw up chemistry.

"gopackgo" wrote:
    I really dont see any QB starting the season for any team besides Matt Ryan. I believe Boller will start for the Ravens, and Flacco will be brought in eventually.

Brohm was drafted because the Packers draft BPA. Brohm was the BPA for them. Unless Rodgers gets hurt, or completely bombs, he wont be replaced. My guess is Brohm will be the starting QB for a team a couple years from now when the Pack trade him for a draft pick.

Same situation with Jackson and Booty. I see no chance of Booty starting unless Jackson gets hurt. Jackson may not have all the skills, but he has experience starting a whole season for the Vikes. Changing the QB won't do much good anyway, as Minnesota is based around the running game and defense. This team is probably headed to the playoffs next season, and changing QB's midway through is a sure-fire way to screw up chemistry.
    There will be alot of arm chair QB'ing by the Atlanta coaching staff my friend as it relates to who should start......

Should they throw him to the wolves and let him struggle (ala Aikmen/Manning and yes TJ) at the risk of messing up his physique and the possible alienation of fans

or

Should they let one of thier other scrubs start, take the beating as the rest of the team jells and then start him late in the season/next year.

As you can see from this site, the first option can cause alot of hate and discontent amongst fans who don't understand what the staff is trying to do because of the growing pains surrounding starting a young QB right out of the gate.

My guess is none of the rookies will start this year but about mid season you will see Ryan and Flacco get some playing time.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"gopackgo" wrote:

Good post, and I agree with regards to both teams.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    Well, some points:

a. I also don't really care that much about who plays QB, if we get the "W"
    b. I will admit it if Tarvaris proves me wrong. Until then.. :
    c. Tom Brady was a 4th-round pick I think, and started his first season, after "everyone" said he had no track record in the NFL and was thus a 3rd stringer
    d. Booty is like Matt Schaub, and will fit our system very well (he already knows the offense from USC, and so doesn't have to learn it from scratch). I agree that Booty would not fit many offenses (Raiders, etc.). But he fits ours very well.

Someone posted a video of Booty's screwups. But hey, I could (but won't) post a video of Tarvaris vs. the Redskins last year.
    Tom Brady was a sixth round pick, and he didn't start until his second season.
    And he didn't win the starting position, he was thrust in via injury, and played surprisingly well.
    Next.
    Funny how now the Booty supporters are using late round picks making good QB's.

Does anyone remember a lot of those same type of people not liking T-Jack as a QB because he was a 2nd rounder & not a 1st?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    Well, some points:

a. I also don't really care that much about who plays QB, if we get the "W"
    b. I will admit it if Tarvaris proves me wrong. Until then.. :
    c. Tom Brady was a 4th-round pick I think, and started his first season, after "everyone" said he had no track record in the NFL and was thus a 3rd stringer
    d. Booty is like Matt Schaub, and will fit our system very well (he already knows the offense from USC, and so doesn't have to learn it from scratch). I agree that Booty would not fit many offenses (Raiders, etc.). But he fits ours very well.

Someone posted a video of Booty's screwups. But hey, I could (but won't) post a video of Tarvaris vs. the Redskins last year.
    Tom Brady was a sixth round pick, and he didn't start until his second season.
    And he didn't win the starting position, he was thrust in via injury, and played surprisingly well.
    Next.
    Funny how now the Booty supporters are using late round picks making good QB's.

Does anyone remember a lot of those same type of people not liking T-Jack as a QB because he was a 2nd rounder & not a 1st?
    There are a ton of 1st round picks that are no longer in the NFL, Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch. I would have to look and do research on who was a QB taken after the 3 round that has had a great NFL career. I say 3rd round because I still believe that a second round still has great value and in some cases maybe even better than some first rounders picked. Tom Brady happens to be the one that most people remember for more recent QB's. I am sure there are QB's that 20-30 years ago would fit into that but I am not sure about QB's from the last 10 tears or so.

Chazz is offline Coordinator

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "gopackgo" wrote:

There will be alot of arm chair QB'ing by the Atlanta coaching staff my friend as it relates to who should start......

Should they throw him to the wolves and let him struggle (ala Aikmen/Manning and yes TJ) at the risk of messing up his physique and the possible alienation of fans

or

Should they let one of thier other scrubs start, take the beating as the rest of the team jells and then start him late in the season/next year.

As you can see from this site, the first option can cause alot of hate and discontent amongst fans who don't understand what the staff is trying to do because of the growing pains surrounding starting a young QB right out of the gate.

My guess is none of the rookies will start this year but about mid season you will see Ryan and Flacco get some playing time.

The thing with Ryan is he was the 3rd over all pick and will be getting paid quite handsomely. When a guy is getting paid that much money, people, especially the owner, want to see him on the field earning his money. QBs drafted in the top ten rarely sit on the bench for long.

"Chazz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "gopackgo" wrote:

or

The thing with Ryan is he was the 3rd over all pick and will be getting paid quite handsomely. When a guy is getting paid that much money, people, especially the owner, want to see him on the field earning his money. QBs drafted in the top ten rarely sit on the bench for long.
    Ohhhh really.
    I'm to tired but I am sure that one will get trumped.
    ;D

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Chazz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "gopackgo" wrote:

or

Tell us what you mean by "for long" so we can better tear that statement apart & prove you wrong.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

There are way too many factors involved to predict who will be good at QB in the NFL. You really have to put them in and see. That is why this pre-season is going to be so awesome: we get to see what Booty can do. Ok, it won't be vs. 1st-team defenses, but still...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast