Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Rock's (Way Too Early) Mock Draft

1. St. Louis Rams - Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame

This pick has to be a QB. The Rams need a new guy to lead this defense after they've let Bulger get pummeled around for the last couple of years. Clausen can only hope that he'll get some better protection and weapons than Bulger had in his last few years.

2. Detroit Lions - Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska

Arguably the best player in the draft. The Lions need some D-line help badly. Can you believe that they had O-linemen playing DT last year? Suh should give them a great player for years to come. He can stop the run and get some pressure. Something you'll in a division with Peterson, Grant, Forté, Rodgers, Cutler and Favre.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma

The Buccaneers need some help along the D-line badly. Having Suh fall to them would be a dream scenario. If he won't, they'll still get good value and a very talented player in McCoy.

4. Washington Redskins - Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma

I'm afraid that this pick will be a QB. I'd love for them to take Okung. Give Campbell (and maybe even Brennan) a shot under Shanahan and actually give him some protection. I don't see it happening, though.

5. Kansas City Chiefs - Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State

I mocked Eugene Monroe to the Chiefs last year, knowing that Cassel would need one hell of an O-line to function properly. I asume that Pioli figured that one out now, as well. Okung fits a need and is one of the best players on the board at this spot.

6. Seattle Seahawks - Eric Berry, S, Tennessee

After having Curry fall into their lap last year, the Seahawks, once again, come away with arguably the best player in the draft.

7. Cleveland Browns - Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech

The Browns have needs at all kinds of positions, but getting a decent pass rush is one of the biggest. They have a fairly decent D-line in place, but no OLBs behind it. They won't select a QB here before Quinn can finally show what he can do with some weapons.

8. Oakland Raiders - Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida

It's Al Davis. Carlos Dunlap has a big name. Character issues are a thing of beauty if you're Al Davis. So is speed.

9. Buffalo Bills - Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland

The Bills just have to go OT here. They've addressed the interior line last year, they have to do something about the void that Peters left behind this year.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars - Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State

This pick has to be a WR. By signing Holt and passing on Crabtree, the Jaguars, once again, didn't solve their WR problems. This is the year that they'll finally cave in and get Garrard a weapon on the outside.

11. Denver Broncos - Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama

I don't see the Broncos trading away Marshall and Royal is good enough as a Nr. 2 to not make WR a big need for the Broncos. ILB is quite a need, though. The Broncos have a potential playmaker in D.J. Williams. Not only will McClain be a big upgrade over the average and aging Andra Davis, he'll also make D.J. Williams better.

12. Miami Dolphins - Everson Griffen, DE, USC

This pick is a bit of reach. I don't see the Dolphins taking a receiver here with the emergence of Camarillo, Bess and Hartline. There's no NT to be found around pick 12 and it's too early to give up on Merling at DE. The Dolphins will need to find replacements for two aging OLBs. This is a good start.

13. San Fransisco 49ers - Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma

Williams has struggled immensely at LT after being one of the best RTs in college football just a year ago. The 49ers can take a gamble on Trent Williams here, since they're in somewhat of a luxury position. They have a capable LT in Joe Staley, so if Williams does fail at LT in the Pros, as well, they can always just plug him in at the right side.

14. Seattle Seahawks - Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers

After having Berry falling into their lap, the Seahawks now find a premier LT waiting for to be picked. The Seahawks need some help at RT right now and at LT if/when Jones calls it quits.

15. New York Giants - Joe Haden, CB, Florida

The Giants should be jumping out of joy if Haden somehow falls this far. They have no one opposite of Webster. After drafting Haden, they propel themselfs upwards to having a great CB tandem. Something that comes in very handy in the NFC East.

16. Tennessee Titans - Brian Price, DT, UCLA

The Titans finally find their replacement for Haynesworth. Warren could be a possibility here, but getting rit of one DT has devastated that entire D-line. With a bit of luck, adding a monster DT will get them out of mediocrity again.

17. San Fransisco 49ers - C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson

Although the 49ers could really use some help at DB and OLB, they can't pass up on this dynamic talent. Spiller is the Reggie Bush of this draft and would really help out both Smith and Gore.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers - Donovan Warren, CB, Michigan

The 33 year old Townsend should call it quits. Whatever he does, he's no starting material anymore. Ike Taylor is good, but he's not a shut down corner. Burnett and Lewis both haven't looked like potential starters. The Steelers are going to need a corner and Warren is great value at pick 18.

19. Atlanta Falcons - Greg Hardy, DE, Mississippi

The Falcons would prefer a corner here, but with Warren off the board, they'd be reaching for 2nd round talent with Ghee. The easiest way to make up for bad corner play is getting quick pressure. And Abraham isn't getting any younger, either.

20. Houston Texans - Earl Thomas, S, Texas

The Texans find great value at a position of need in Earl Thomas here. Bulaga will be considered here, but the franchise will see that finding someone who is starting material at safety, next to Pollard, is the right choice.

21. Cincinnati Bengals - Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma

Now that the Bengals finally have a decent defense in place, the offense begins to struggle. One of the biggest reasons is not having a TE for Palmer to throw to. Gresham should solve that problem.

22. New England Patriots - Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa

With no corners in sight, the Patriots will have to choose between an OLB/DE or Bulaga. Based on value and protecting your franchise player, I'm going with Bulaga. Matt Light isn't getting any younger and gets beaten more and more often. He'll need to be replaced eventually. Right now, they need a RT, though, and Bulaga could slip right into the starting line-up.

23. Green Bay Packers - Charles Brown, OT, USC

The Packers also have to choose between an OLB/DE and an OT. With both starting tackles aging and just one replacement who's ready to step in in T.J. Lang, they'll go tackle, as well. Brown's a little light and might need some time, but he'd be a franchise LT for years to come.

24. Philadelphia Eagles - Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida

In the NFC East, it's all about the lines. The Eagles have a good O-line and decent D-line, but need to find a pass rusher to play opposite of Trent Cole. Pierre-Paul is a risky project, but the sky is the limit for him, potential-wise.

25. Baltimore Ravens - Damian Williams, WR, USC

The Ravens have no one at the WR apart from Mason, who's not getting any younger. They need to address the WR position right now and give Flacco some help.

26. Arizona Cardinals - Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee

The Cardinals play a 3-4 hybrid, but have no NT on their entire roster. You can add as many OLBs as you want, but without a NT, a 3-4 is going nowhere. They do something about it by drafting Dan Williams.

27. Dallas Cowboys - Taylor Mays, S, USC

Taylor Mays might have some questionable coverage skills, but he should be an upgrade over Ken Hamlin. If anything, you'll get a great hitter at the end of round 1.

28. San Diego Chargers - Selvish Capers, OT, West Virginia

Capers is a guy with tons of potential. The Chargers will try to get one more year out of Runyan and develop Selvish into a starter. Maybe he'll even take over at the left side, eventually.

29. New York Jets - Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, TCU

Apart from Bryan Thomas, the Jets have no noteworthy DE/OLBs. I think that it's pretty safe to say that Gholston is a 3-4 bust. The Jets needs someone who can rush the passer.

30. Minnesota Vikings - Terrence Cody, DT, Alabama

The Vikings add this behemoth to the D-line to replace Pat Williams, who will be 37 by the time the 2011 season rolls around, turning 38 during the season. He'll have the advantage of learning from two of the best in the business.

31. Indianapolis Colts - Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Missouri

OLB is a huge need for the Colts. Philip Wheeler and Tyjuan Hagler both started at OLB this year. I can't blame you if you've never heared of those two guys before. Weatherspoon would be the perfect pick.

32. New Orleans Saints - Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan

DE from Michigan The Saints take Brandon Graham with the last pick in the 1st round to rotate and, eventually, replace Charles Grant.

----------------------------------------------------

Made a little mock draft. Way too early, but hey. Hope it helps you get your minds off of the NFCC game a little, as well. I think that this would be a very good first round for the Vikings, with Cody somehow being passed over by all the 3-4 teams that need a NT.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

Dibbzz is offline Starter

Re:Rock's (Way Too Early) Mock Draft

We should trade up and grab Berry.

No Terrence Cody.

DiehardVikesFan wrote:
    No Terrence Cody.
    Based on the kid's play or on the position he plays?

I'm not doing any trades, otherwise I might've had you trade back out of the first round. Maybe to early in the second. Tony Pike or Brandon Ghee would be possibilities back there. Maybe even Chad Jones.

Of course, you could go Iutapi, as well. I just think that, with the strength of that defense being the D-line, Spielman, Childress and Frazier might want to make sure that you replace Pat before he's totally worn down. For all we know, he'll look nothing like he did this year in 2010. Some guys hit the wall really hard. Especially when they're nearing their 40s.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

Rockmolder wrote:
    DiehardVikesFan wrote:
    No Terrence Cody.

I'm not doing any trades, otherwise I might've had you trade back out of the first round. Maybe to early in the second. Tony Pike or Brandon Ghee would be possibilities back there. Maybe even Chad Jones.

Of course, you could go Iutapi, as well. I just think that, with the strength of that defense being the D-line, Spielman, Childress and Frazier might want to make sure that you replace Pat before he's totally worn down. For all we know, he'll look nothing like he did this year in 2010. Some guys hit the wall really hard. Especially when they're nearing their 40s.
    Tony Pike in the 1st i highly doubt. But Cody isn't worth a first IMO because he is a two down, one dimensional player at best with poor conditioning and he doesn't offer enough value to a four man front.

peterson-rox28 is offline Pro-Bowler

I hope we can trade up and draft Joe Haden.

Haden would let Winfield play nickel were he is at his best or we could even try him at safety.

If we can't get haden i would like to see us trade that pick for a proven CB or DT.

peterson-rox28 wrote:
    I hope we can trade up and draft Joe Haden.

Haden would let Winfield play nickel were he is at his best or we could even try him at safety.

If we can't get haden i would like to see us trade

that pick for a proven CB or DT.
    Trading up to 30 into the top 10 would be spendy. I think we have done well drafting in the later rounds and would like to hang on to those picks. Also no one is looking to trade good players unless there is character concerns, we got lucky with Allen, but there aren't teams looking to trade away good players.

DiehardVikesFan wrote:
    Rockmolder wrote:
    DiehardVikesFan wrote:
    No Terrence Cody.

Tony Pike in the 1st i highly doubt. But Cody isn't worth a first IMO because he is a two down, one dimensional player at best with poor conditioning and he doesn't offer enough value to a four man front.
    Like I said, if you trade back into the 2nd, Pike will become a possibility. Quarterbacks will always be reached on, and I think the same will go for Pike. He'll go somewhere in the upper half of the second, the way it looks now. Even though I don't think he has the talent to go just there.

If you want to develop a young QB and start over with the grooming process, though, he must be your guy, or you should go after a guy in an even later round with a very low success rate. Someone like Stull or maybe even McCoy.

Conditioning can be worked on in the NFL. He might not become a great pass rusher, but neither is Pat Williams. He holds his point very effectively and can eat up blockers for the rest of the guys. That's all you need when you have Kevin Williams next to him and Jared Allen at DT. I wouldn't want to run it straigth at him, either.

I think that he's what you want in a NT, whether it be in the 3-4 or 4-3. He won't be replacing Kevin Williams, but he should be able to, somewhat, replace Pat Williams.

DiehardVikesFan wrote:
    Rockmolder wrote:
    DiehardVikesFan wrote:
    No Terrence Cody.

Like I said, if you trade back into the 2nd, Pike will become a possibility. Quarterbacks will always be reached on, and I think the same will go for Pike. He'll go somewhere in the upper half of the second, the way it looks now. Even though I don't think he has the talent to go just there.

If you want to develop a young QB and start over with the grooming process, though, he must be your guy, or you should go after a guy in an even later round with a very low success rate. Someone like Stull or maybe even McCoy.

Conditioning can be worked on in the NFL. He might not become a great pass rusher, but neither is Pat Williams. He holds his point very effectively and can eat up blockers for the rest of the guys. That's all you need when you have Kevin Williams next to him and Jared Allen at DT. I wouldn't want to run it straigth at him, either.

I think that he's what you want in a NT, whether it be in the 3-4 or 4-3. He won't be replacing Kevin Williams, but he should be able to, somewhat, replace Pat Williams.

DiehardVikesFan wrote:
    Rockmolder wrote:
    DiehardVikesFan wrote:
    No Terrence Cody.

It seems like my last post got deleted, so I'll try to rewrite it.

Like I said, Tony Pike will become a target if you trade out of the first round and into the upper parts of the 2nd round. I don't know if that pick would be totally justified by his talent, but QBs always get reached on. I can also see the Vikes trying to groom another QB. Maybe Stull or McCoy, who both should go around the 3rd/4th round.

I could also see a trade back to pick 40-50, have 3 prospects on the board in Tony Pike, Chad Jones and Brandon Ghee and just see which guy will fall down to your pick.

As to Cody. Condition can be worked on in the NFL. The guy a load, it's to be expected that your stamina isn't amazing at his size and weigth. He could lose a couple of pounds and still be very effective. He'll never be a great pass rusher, but he can eat up blocks and, for his size, has some decent moves. In the run game, well, I wouldn't want to run it right at him, either. I think that he'll be a good NT in both the 4-3 and 3-4. He won't be replacing Kevin Williams in the pass rush department, but he won't have to, he's there to replace Pat.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast