Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32
  1. #21
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Robison signs 3 year deal

    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1090755
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090695
    As everyone says, a fan favorite and I am happy for him, but trust me folks, this is not starter money.

    This time of year, I like to look at indicators.......

    a. Ray was tendered for one more year.

    That, to means that the starter they planned to take over at LDE isn't mature enough to handle that. Rob has been around long enough to be mature enough to handle it. The one that still needs time is Griff.

    b. Rob is built like a RDE, not a LDE.

    Again, he isn't suited to start at LDE in the base 4-3. As we saw when Ray went down last year, teams just lined up a TE and ran right at Rob. That wore him down, and his production/pressure went down because of the wear and tear.

    In the end, he will continue to be a situational guy at LDE, RDE and in the middle based on the down and distance.

    The size of the contracts kindof validates that assumption.

    On a side note, I am glad the the staff has finally figured out they can sign players to contracts instead of just "Tendering" them.
    Really, 4.7 million per year ISN'T starter money?

    Seems awful steep for back up money...

    Caine
    It isn't so much the per year, its the length and the way its structured. From our good friends at Rotoworld.....

    3/3/2011: Signed a three-year, $14.1 million contract. The deal included a $6.5 million signing bonus. 2011-2013: Under Contract, 2014: Free Agent
    Chump change.

    Look, I know, compared to what you and I make, this is alot of damn money. but when you compare it to what others are getting, it is OK at best and just short of a lowball contract.

    But hey, most on here will agree that Bryzcheapski is a wiz at this type of stuff. He is very good at making deals and staying within the budget constraits set forth by the Ownership group.

    Another contract like this is Griff (CB). A nice contract, however, if you look at it, it was much lower than league averages. Why, because Griff had issues which allowed them to low ball him.

    Robs issue is that he isn't big enough to start at LDE and because we have JA, will never get to be a starter at RDE. Answer, take the lowball offer, structure it for 3 years and see what happens.

    On a side note, anyone else see a trend developing with the 3 year contracts......:dry:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  2. #22
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Robison signs 3 year deal

    I am sure he can get bigger if he decides to take Roids like RE did.

    RE Production doesn't really stand out to me just for the fact he is playing with 3 Pro Bowl DL and he is the one that gets the least attention paid to him. JA gets their best OL blocking him, KW gets consistently doubled and pat can also absorb an OL and a TE, RB etc. That leaves RE with one on one coverage and if he was worth a large contract he would be tearing things up, not just looking average.

  3. #23
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Robison signs 3 year deal

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090849
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090743
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090695

    On a side note, I am glad the the staff has finally figured out they can sign players to contracts instead of just "Tendering" them.
    Yes, I'm sure that concept never really came to mind to them.

    Wait a second, maybe the players aren't willing to agree on deals the staff is offering?

    14 mil isn't alot of money. with the new CBA, if they make rediculous clauses and that contract becomes void, or it's a bigger cap hit than they thought they can easily work around it.

    Guys like Rice and Greenway, who WILL command the big bucks aren't getting deals done for that sole reason. It's not just here, it happens all across the league. Hell, arguably the best player in the league has only been "Tendered". I guess the Colts staff hasn't figured out they can offer him a contract too right?
    Maybe the deals the staff are offering are a joke.
    Maybe the deals every team are offering are a joke then?

    Fact is, not alot of players are getting contracts right now. The only players that seem to be getting them are guys who aren't making alot, or guys you absolutely can't lose like Brady. Hell, Even Manning isn't signed to a long-term deal yet. And the Colts say they want to make him the highest paid player ever. Why hasn't that happened yet? Three Words: "Collective Bargaining Agreement"

    What if the cap is only $80 Mil? What if you require 7 years service to be a UFA? What if players under 28 have a salary cap of their own, or maybe they limit how you can structure contracts (ie, you can't front/back load contracts anymore)? Who knows what will be in here, and that's why teams aren't signing most of the big-money players right now. It's NOT just limited to the Vikings.

    The biggest-name player I can think of aside from Brady who got resigned recently was Owen Daniels. 4 years, 22 mil. $5.5 a season. That's good money, Shank makes 3.6 a season, Gonzalez will make almost 6 mil this season, Davis averages 7 mil a season, Cooley makes 6 mil. They got him at a pretty decent deal. They signed him.


    Also, one thing you forget, is what happens if there's no revenue sharing? The Vikings salary budget will probably decrease. They'll have to prioritize who they need, and have to be willing to let certain players go. Greenway and AD should absolutely be priorities. Edwards? I can see him maybe not making the top-5 and being let go.

  4. #24
    marshallvike's Avatar
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    2,471

    Re: Robison signs 3 year deal

    Great job TOA. Love Robison. Anyone who plays with a high motor like he does on every play deserves respect. Hopefully he will do a good job at LDE as he seems better suited to RDE, but he has done whatever has been asked of him and done it well w/out complaining.
    Edwards has been a solid player for us, especially considering switching sides of the line. I do agree though that he may be pricing himself off the Vikes.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

  5. #25
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Robison signs 3 year deal

    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1090853
    I am sure he can get bigger if he decides to take Roids like RE did.

    RE Production doesn't really stand out to me just for the fact he is playing with 3 Pro Bowl DL and he is the one that gets the least attention paid to him. JA gets their best OL blocking him, KW gets consistently doubled and pat can also absorb an OL and a TE, RB etc. That leaves RE with one on one coverage and if he was worth a large contract he would be tearing things up, not just looking average.
    Good points my friend, however, the whole JA gets doubled was kindof disproved, starting in the playoffs in 2009 and going into this year.

    In most cases, JA was signal covered and still got jobbed....

    I do like your point on the Roids though. Kindof dovetails into my rationale that the staff don't think he can hold up (without help) at the LDE spot for a full contract.

    Ray, like Rob, have had to put on alot of weight to play LDE. I am always against that. I'd much rather see a kid like Griff (280ish) out there in the base.

    Then, when you get them into a sure passing situation, bring a guy like Rob in much the same way we used to use Lance Johnstone.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #26
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Robison signs 3 year deal

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090866
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090849
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090743
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090695

    On a side note, I am glad the the staff has finally figured out they can sign players to contracts instead of just "Tendering" them.
    Yes, I'm sure that concept never really came to mind to them.

    Wait a second, maybe the players aren't willing to agree on deals the staff is offering?

    14 mil isn't alot of money. with the new CBA, if they make rediculous clauses and that contract becomes void, or it's a bigger cap hit than they thought they can easily work around it.

    Guys like Rice and Greenway, who WILL command the big bucks aren't getting deals done for that sole reason. It's not just here, it happens all across the league. Hell, arguably the best player in the league has only been "Tendered". I guess the Colts staff hasn't figured out they can offer him a contract too right?
    Maybe the deals the staff are offering are a joke.
    Maybe the deals every team are offering are a joke then?

    Fact is, not alot of players are getting contracts right now. The only players that seem to be getting them are guys who aren't making alot, or guys you absolutely can't lose like Brady. Hell, Even Manning isn't signed to a long-term deal yet. And the Colts say they want to make him the highest paid player ever. Why hasn't that happened yet? Three Words: "Collective Bargaining Agreement"

    What if the cap is only $80 Mil? What if you require 7 years service to be a UFA? What if players under 28 have a salary cap of their own, or maybe they limit how you can structure contracts (ie, you can't front/back load contracts anymore)? Who knows what will be in here, and that's why teams aren't signing most of the big-money players right now. It's NOT just limited to the Vikings.

    The biggest-name player I can think of aside from Brady who got resigned recently was Owen Daniels. 4 years, 22 mil. $5.5 a season. That's good money, Shank makes 3.6 a season, Gonzalez will make almost 6 mil this season, Davis averages 7 mil a season, Cooley makes 6 mil. They got him at a pretty decent deal. They signed him.


    Also, one thing you forget, is what happens if there's no revenue sharing? The Vikings salary budget will probably decrease. They'll have to prioritize who they need, and have to be willing to let certain players go. Greenway and AD should absolutely be priorities. Edwards? I can see him maybe not making the top-5 and being let go.
    Makes no sense. If you tender Chad and he gets average of the top 5 LB'rs, you are in essence paying in (example) 15 mil that goes directly against the cap and would impact your overal salary budget.

    A long term contract, spread out over multiple years is the best solution.

    Now, if your just talking about tendering players (Rice, Ray) and only paying them peanuts compared to what the top 5 in their position are getting (cause thats what they are gonna get), you are, in essence, getting a WR at 2 Mil (example) instead of 10mil or a DE for 2 Mil (example) instead of 8 mil.

    Long story short, this is nothing more than the FO pukes cost cutting and using the CBA as an excuse.

    By the way, other teams are signing players and not just the low end guys either......
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #27
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Robison signs 3 year deal

    Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1090870
    Great job TOA. Love Robison. Anyone who plays with a high motor like he does on every play deserves respect. Hopefully he will do a good job at LDE as he seems better suited to RDE, but he has done whatever has been asked of him and done it well w/out complaining.
    Edwards has been a solid player for us, especially considering switching sides of the line. I do agree though that he may be pricing himself off the Vikes.
    He will get fair market value because other teams will look at him as a guy who can play both RDE (Primarily) and LDE (Secondary).

    Again, I believe that if he were to trim back down, 15 lbs or so, he wouldn't be leading (actually second) in QB pressures but rather, getting alot more sacks than he is right now at LDE.

    First, he would primarily be rushing the passer (RDE) instead of primarily contain (LDE) were he is now.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #28
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Robison signs 3 year deal

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090880
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090866
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090849
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090743
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090695

    On a side note, I am glad the the staff has finally figured out they can sign players to contracts instead of just "Tendering" them.
    Yes, I'm sure that concept never really came to mind to them.

    Wait a second, maybe the players aren't willing to agree on deals the staff is offering?

    14 mil isn't alot of money. with the new CBA, if they make rediculous clauses and that contract becomes void, or it's a bigger cap hit than they thought they can easily work around it.

    Guys like Rice and Greenway, who WILL command the big bucks aren't getting deals done for that sole reason. It's not just here, it happens all across the league. Hell, arguably the best player in the league has only been "Tendered". I guess the Colts staff hasn't figured out they can offer him a contract too right?
    Maybe the deals the staff are offering are a joke.
    Maybe the deals every team are offering are a joke then?

    Fact is, not alot of players are getting contracts right now. The only players that seem to be getting them are guys who aren't making alot, or guys you absolutely can't lose like Brady. Hell, Even Manning isn't signed to a long-term deal yet. And the Colts say they want to make him the highest paid player ever. Why hasn't that happened yet? Three Words: "Collective Bargaining Agreement"

    What if the cap is only $80 Mil? What if you require 7 years service to be a UFA? What if players under 28 have a salary cap of their own, or maybe they limit how you can structure contracts (ie, you can't front/back load contracts anymore)? Who knows what will be in here, and that's why teams aren't signing most of the big-money players right now. It's NOT just limited to the Vikings.

    The biggest-name player I can think of aside from Brady who got resigned recently was Owen Daniels. 4 years, 22 mil. $5.5 a season. That's good money, Shank makes 3.6 a season, Gonzalez will make almost 6 mil this season, Davis averages 7 mil a season, Cooley makes 6 mil. They got him at a pretty decent deal. They signed him.


    Also, one thing you forget, is what happens if there's no revenue sharing? The Vikings salary budget will probably decrease. They'll have to prioritize who they need, and have to be willing to let certain players go. Greenway and AD should absolutely be priorities. Edwards? I can see him maybe not making the top-5 and being let go.
    Makes no sense. If you tender Chad and he gets average of the top 5 LB'rs, you are in essence paying in (example) 15 mil that goes directly against the cap and would impact your overal salary budget.
    Unless they make changes to the Franchise tag.

    Since so many teams have used the Franchise tag and RFA tenders, if they made a change to how they work, I can't believe they would leave currently tagged players how they are. If they make serious changes, you can bet tenders and tags will be voidable.

    [qoute]
    A long term contract, spread out over multiple years is the best solution.
    [/quote]
    If that was the case, don't you think teams around the league would be doing that? Fact is, with so much uncertainty, it's VERY easy to take what looks like a safe option and find yourself in cap hell for the next few years.


    Long story short, this is nothing more than the FO pukes cost cutting and using the CBA as an excuse.
    League-Wide?
    Care to explain the Peyton Manning scenario? Or will you just conveniently skip that again? They have said they want him, and are willing to make him the highest paid player EVER. ONLy reason it isn't done is because of the CBA.
    By the way, other teams are signing players and not just the low end guys either......
    Some, yes. Most? Nope. There are alot of tendered and franchised players out there. Yes, we are comparatively a little behind when it comes to signing our FA's. We're letting alot of UFA's walk it seems, and tendering a bunch of RFA's. But look at the Packers. SB champs, so maybe they know what they're doing. They tagged a few players, and let a bunch walk. They re-worked Hawks contract, and other than that, they haven't done anything.

    What have the Pats done aside from re-sign Brady? Steelers? Jets?

    Or are they just clueless too?

  9. #29
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Robison signs 3 year deal

    PLUS, it's highly unlikely Chad plays the year out with the Franchise salary. Once the CBA gets done, I bet you Chad gets his contract. It won't be as much in annual salary, but he'll get his bonuses and guaranteed money he wants.

    Same with manning.


    ALSO, a little research on your part goes a long way.

    You say why should we give Greenway $15 mil for a franchise tag?

    Franchise tag is estimated to be around $10 mil for a linebacker this year, or 120% of his previous salary.

    last year Greeenway made $1.035 mil Roster bonus, $5.11 mil option bonus, and $1.875 in escalator bonuses, on top of whatever his base salary is. That's probably around $8 milish alone last year.

    They pay greenway an extra $2 mil this season to stick around so they can sort out his contract. Doesn't seem that farfetched to me does it?

  10. #30
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Robison signs 3 year deal

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090882
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090880
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090866
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090849
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090743
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090695

    On a side note, I am glad the the staff has finally figured out they can sign players to contracts instead of just "Tendering" them.
    Yes, I'm sure that concept never really came to mind to them.

    Wait a second, maybe the players aren't willing to agree on deals the staff is offering?

    14 mil isn't alot of money. with the new CBA, if they make rediculous clauses and that contract becomes void, or it's a bigger cap hit than they thought they can easily work around it.

    Guys like Rice and Greenway, who WILL command the big bucks aren't getting deals done for that sole reason. It's not just here, it happens all across the league. Hell, arguably the best player in the league has only been "Tendered". I guess the Colts staff hasn't figured out they can offer him a contract too right?
    Maybe the deals the staff are offering are a joke.
    Maybe the deals every team are offering are a joke then?

    Fact is, not alot of players are getting contracts right now. The only players that seem to be getting them are guys who aren't making alot, or guys you absolutely can't lose like Brady. Hell, Even Manning isn't signed to a long-term deal yet. And the Colts say they want to make him the highest paid player ever. Why hasn't that happened yet? Three Words: "Collective Bargaining Agreement"

    What if the cap is only $80 Mil? What if you require 7 years service to be a UFA? What if players under 28 have a salary cap of their own, or maybe they limit how you can structure contracts (ie, you can't front/back load contracts anymore)? Who knows what will be in here, and that's why teams aren't signing most of the big-money players right now. It's NOT just limited to the Vikings.

    The biggest-name player I can think of aside from Brady who got resigned recently was Owen Daniels. 4 years, 22 mil. $5.5 a season. That's good money, Shank makes 3.6 a season, Gonzalez will make almost 6 mil this season, Davis averages 7 mil a season, Cooley makes 6 mil. They got him at a pretty decent deal. They signed him.


    Also, one thing you forget, is what happens if there's no revenue sharing? The Vikings salary budget will probably decrease. They'll have to prioritize who they need, and have to be willing to let certain players go. Greenway and AD should absolutely be priorities. Edwards? I can see him maybe not making the top-5 and being let go.
    Makes no sense. If you tender Chad and he gets average of the top 5 LB'rs, you are in essence paying in (example) 15 mil that goes directly against the cap and would impact your overal salary budget.
    Unless they make changes to the Franchise tag.

    Since so many teams have used the Franchise tag and RFA tenders, if they made a change to how they work, I can't believe they would leave currently tagged players how they are. If they make serious changes, you can bet tenders and tags will be voidable.

    [qoute]
    A long term contract, spread out over multiple years is the best solution.
    If that was the case, don't you think teams around the league would be doing that? Fact is, with so much uncertainty, it's VERY easy to take what looks like a safe option and find yourself in cap hell for the next few years.


    Long story short, this is nothing more than the FO pukes cost cutting and using the CBA as an excuse.
    League-Wide?
    Care to explain the Peyton Manning scenario? Or will you just conveniently skip that again? They have said they want him, and are willing to make him the highest paid player EVER. ONLy reason it isn't done is because of the CBA.
    By the way, other teams are signing players and not just the low end guys either......
    Some, yes. Most? Nope. There are alot of tendered and franchised players out there. Yes, we are comparatively a little behind when it comes to signing our FA's. We're letting alot of UFA's walk it seems, and tendering a bunch of RFA's. But look at the Packers. SB champs, so maybe they know what they're doing. They tagged a few players, and let a bunch walk. They re-worked Hawks contract, and other than that, they haven't done anything.

    What have the Pats done aside from re-sign Brady? Steelers? Jets?

    Or are they just clueless too?[/quote]
    Peyton is your only big one then? :huh:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rice signs four year deal
    By nephilimstorm in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-28-2007, 06:24 AM
  2. Bulger signs 6 year 62.5 million $ deal
    By thevikingfan in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-27-2007, 12:53 PM
  3. Lelie signs 2 year deal with the 49ers
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-04-2007, 03:44 PM
  4. T.O. signs with Cowboys (3 year deal)
    By audioghost in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-18-2006, 04:59 PM
  5. Peterson signs one-year deal
    By cajunvike in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2005, 10:00 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •