Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Robison signs 3 year deal

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1090688
    I'm surprised Robison got it and not Edwards.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/24905/brian-robison-set-to-replace-ray-edwards

That's not to say that this is unexpected. I think Ray will likely price himself off the team...and with his production fall off last season, I don't blame the Vikings for going with Robison over Edwards.

Caine
    I don't think its so much the price, but rather, his build.

Still say that the staff is worried he won't last the life of a contract at LDE.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090695

On a side note, I am glad the the staff has finally figured out they can sign players to contracts instead of just "Tendering" them.
    Yes, I'm sure that concept never really came to mind to them.

Wait a second, maybe the players aren't willing to agree on deals the staff is offering?

14 mil isn't alot of money. with the new CBA, if they make rediculous clauses and that contract becomes void, or it's a bigger cap hit than they thought they can easily work around it.

Guys like Rice and Greenway, who WILL command the big bucks aren't getting deals done for that sole reason. It's not just here, it happens all across the league. Hell, arguably the best player in the league has only been "Tendered". I guess the Colts staff hasn't figured out they can offer him a contract too right?

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

As everyone says, a fan favorite and I am happy for him, but trust me folks, this is not starter money.

This time of year, I like to look at indicators.......

a. Ray was tendered for one more year.

That, to means that the starter they planned to take over at LDE isn't mature enough to handle that. Rob has been around long enough to be mature enough to handle it. The one that still needs time is Griff.

b. Rob is built like a RDE, not a LDE.

Again, he isn't suited to start at LDE in the base 4-3. As we saw when Ray went down last year, teams just lined up a TE and ran right at Rob. That wore him down, and his production/pressure went down because of the wear and tear.

In the end, he will continue to be a situational guy at LDE, RDE and in the middle based on the down and distance.

The size of the contracts kindof validates that assumption.

On a side note, I am glad the the staff has finally figured out they can sign players to contracts instead of just "Tendering" them.
    Really, 4.7 million per year ISN'T starter money?

Seems awful steep for back up money...

Caine

delviking is offline Starter

i really like this signing. hes a high energy athlete, with great character and who knows everyone looking at LDE maybe there looking towards the future in one to two years who knows how Allen will fare or if his contract will be more than his production, and robison could just move into the starting RDE spot and would be a nice veteran while we either trade allen and look for a younger guy to work with.

now dont get me wrong i said a few years from now more of a look to the future move than a hes is the starter this year look.

for this up coming season i see griffen in on obvious run downs and also long distance passing downs as they have already shown a tendency to have robison move to DT for extra pass rushing support.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1090755
    As everyone says, a fan favorite and I am happy for him, but trust me folks, this is not starter money.

This time of year, I like to look at indicators.......

a. Ray was tendered for one more year.

That, to means that the starter they planned to take over at LDE isn't mature enough to handle that. Rob has been around long enough to be mature enough to handle it. The one that still needs time is Griff.

b. Rob is built like a RDE, not a LDE.

Again, he isn't suited to start at LDE in the base 4-3. As we saw when Ray went down last year, teams just lined up a TE and ran right at Rob. That wore him down, and his production/pressure went down because of the wear and tear.

In the end, he will continue to be a situational guy at LDE, RDE and in the middle based on the down and distance.

The size of the contracts kindof validates that assumption.

Really, 4.7 million per year ISN'T starter money?

Seems awful steep for back up money...

Caine
    Not that much. DE is a high money position. Also a backup DE is an important position as they rotate in and out(as apposed to say OL where not starting means you likely don't play).
    Seems about right for either a top tier backup or mediocre starter. I hope he is going to be the former.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=5
    ]Brian Robison set to replace Ray Edwards?[/size]

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/24905/brian-robison-set-to-replace-ray-edwards

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Glad to have him back but I think our FO is severely underrating Ray. Ray lead the team in QB pressures both of the past two seasons and is good against the run as well.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

NICE!!! Finally, some good news!!!

Thats a good sized scoop that at least partialy fills one very large hole!

I like Robison, seems the right kind of hardworking overachiever character type this team could use a few more of. And, at this point, with Free Agency a mystery, any hole we can fill before the draft is a good one to throw a few shovel fulls at!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Quote Originally Posted by "DiehardVikesFan" #1090812
    Glad to have him back but I think our FO is severely underrating Ray. Ray lead the team in QB pressures both of the past two seasons and is good against the run as well.
    Great post my friend.

I see Rays production isn't lost on everyone. A few on here only are concerned with Sacks and miss the bigger picture when it comes to what a LDE does in this scheme.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090743

Yes, I'm sure that concept never really came to mind to them.

Wait a second, maybe the players aren't willing to agree on deals the staff is offering?

14 mil isn't alot of money. with the new CBA, if they make rediculous clauses and that contract becomes void, or it's a bigger cap hit than they thought they can easily work around it.

Guys like Rice and Greenway, who WILL command the big bucks aren't getting deals done for that sole reason. It's not just here, it happens all across the league. Hell, arguably the best player in the league has only been "Tendered". I guess the Colts staff hasn't figured out they can offer him a contract too right?
    Maybe the deals the staff are offering are a joke.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast