Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Robison:Physically skilled, mentally obsessed

"Webby" wrote:
    I like guys that work hard vs primadonnas.... think Chris Walsh who had tremendous unheralded impact whereever he was called on versus pseudo pretty boys like Hovan that couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag.
    CountryGirl knows how awesome Walsh was, eh?!
    Now there's a guy who could catch in the clutch & moved the chains many a time for the Vikings on 3rd downs. He definiteley didn't get the praise he deserved.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Living here in the Austin, Tejas area, I'm pretty excited to have this guy. He may be just a special teamer this year, or a third down player, whatever... he brings hustle and relentlessness on every play. He may be put in some zone blitz's as he can drop and cover a area or a swing pass, when we bring the heat from a different area. Solid draft pick. SKOL

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"douginc" wrote:
    Does anyone know (this is somewhat more of a empirical knowledge question than something that can be easily discovered in stats) how difficult is it for Defensive Ends to transition into the NFL?
    I hear it's of course most difficult usually for QBs, and also rather difficult for Corner Backs.
    What about Robison's chances of shining early?
    Does it usually take a year, two, or can a guy settle in after training camp and pre-season?

Maybe Del Rio would know something on this.......
    You could pull up some names of great DE's and check thier stats for thier rookie years to get a feel for the difficulty involved.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "douginc" wrote:
    Does anyone know (this is somewhat more of a empirical knowledge question than something that can be easily discovered in stats) how difficult is it for Defensive Ends to transition into the NFL?
    I hear it's of course most difficult usually for QBs, and also rather difficult for Corner Backs.
    Does it usually take a year, two, or can a guy settle in after training camp and pre-season?

You could pull up some names of great DE's and check thier stats for thier rookie years to get a feel for the difficulty involved.
    I would assume, aside from the transition from the college level to the pros, obviously, it depends on the type of defensive scheme they ran in college to the type of scheme they will run in the pros & the amount of intracacies of that scheme.

Through in the factor that some players are quicker at learning those schemes than others & I don't think you can set a general timetable that covers a certain position. Everyone will be different.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

im glad we finally have people who want to play and will give it their all and more!

Thanks josdin00

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Hell Yeah!!
    Looks like a great pick to me!!!

I think he dropped a bit because of his size...6'3" 259 lbs translates more to OLB in a 3-4 than to DE in the NFL.
    But, his relentless attack, combined with the speed and leap, sure seems to get the job done!!
    I wonder, with NFL players being bigger in general, how he'll hold up against running plays directed at him?
    He might be more of a passing downs rusher, ala good ole Lance Johnstone!
    We've got some guys that are stout against the run, so that still looks like a good fit!!

I've got to say, I can't remember the last time the Vikes blocked a kick...Wouldn't it be nice to see our ST pull some TDs off of that!!?! ;D

SKOL!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

MNgriff is offline Rookie

I havn't seen a link for this robison video anywhere so I thought you guys might like to see this.

The motor on this guy is amazing.

http:www. youtube. com/watch?v=83iG-b3kjQA
    Edit: ugh I'm such a net noob tried to make a link and failed looking it up. . .
    /sigh
    Skol

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Hell Yeah!!
    Looks like a great pick to me!!!

I think he dropped a bit because of his size...6'3" 259 lbs translates more to OLB in a 3-4 than to DE in the NFL.
    But, his relentless attack, combined with the speed and leap, sure seems to get the job done!!
    I wonder, with NFL players being bigger in general, how he'll hold up against running plays directed at him?
    He might be more of a passing downs rusher, ala good ole Lance Johnstone!
    We've got some guys that are stout against the run, so that still looks like a good fit!!

I've got to say, I can't remember the last time the Vikes blocked a kick...Wouldn't it be nice to see our ST pull some TDs off of that!!?! ;D

SKOL!!!
    i believe last year, or mabye hte year before that jimmy k blocked a punt.

grpape is offline Asst. Coach

I think this guy and Rufus are starting to show the fans a bit of how B-Chill and Spielman are trying to buil this team into a contender year in and year out. Whether it pans out is yet to bee seen. However, I'm liking what's happening so far. Hopefully the whole TOA will start to get some recognition and props.

"douginc" wrote:

My thinking is that it tends to be easier than other positions, but each player is different.
    Undersized speed rush guys (e.g. Javon Kearse - 14.5 sacks rookie season) tend to peak quickly.
    Power/move guys (e.g. Michael Strahan - did not have 10+ sacks until his fifth season) tend to take longer to develop their game .

I think Robison fits more in the speed rush category, even if he doesn't have elite speed.
    If he has what it takes to be good, hopefully we'll see some sign of it this year.
    Based on everything we've heard, he at least has the work ethic to be good.
    Can't complain about that.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast