Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mark is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Rivals.com updated mock draft 3/11/08

If the draft plays out like that there will be some solid people around for the 2nd round
    <!--
    sig -->

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

I believe we take Harvey.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    So what do we do at LDE then?
    Draft two this year?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    Draft two this year?
    Scott/Edwards
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    Draft two this year?
    I am actually curious about Harvey. I believe he played RDE in college (not positive) but all of the scouting reports I see on him just have him listed as DE.
    Other players (Long, Merling, etc) on the same scouting reports specify LDE or RDE.
    Knowing that the strength in LDE is run stopping and containment, and the strength in RDE is pass rush, does this imply that he can excel at both?
    Do you think he is able to come in and learn either side?
    Or am I just reading too much in to the scouting reports?
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"mjuaire" wrote:
    Also with Campbell, he is getting up there in weight and I'm not sure how his height will serve him when he's moved to DT because he's 310 pounds.
    At first I liked him but after the reports of his workouts and the fact that he put on 10 pounds since the season, i'm inclined to go elsewhere.
    I'm with everyone that doesn't like the idea of taking Campbell in the first round.
    The combination of his poor combine performance (5.04 40!?), growing weight, and declining production from his junior to senior year (tackles, sacks, pressures all down about 40%), really make him an unattractive choice.
    The only thing he has going for him is that he has prototypical size for an every-down left end.

I would be fine with an OT in the first round, for the reasons already mentioned, but it sure isn't sexy.
    Not that it matters because it's a highly important position and I think this staff has done a nice job scouting and drafting the past 2 years.
    It just doesn't have the same ring as:

"With the 7th overall pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the Vikings select Adrian Peterson, Running Back from Oklahoma"

-followed by (obnoxious yells of joy from everyone in purple!!!)
    Definately not as sexy to go offensive line, but if this guy did fall to us (not likely in my opinion), he looks like a beast.
    Given the looming McKinnie suspension and the questions with Ryan Cook, I would like this pick.

I really want Derrcik Harvey, obviously Gholston would be sweet, but he won't be there, and I don't see us trading up to get him.
    Also if Malcom Kelly is available, he would be tough to pass on I think, he is a stallion.

I do think Robison is gonig to step up and play better, but I would feel a lot better drafting an elite pass rushing prospect, as we are not deep or overly talented at the position (understatement of the thread)
    I'm with everyone else that thinks we should and will go DE.
    My guess is either the guy you mentioned (Harvey) or Merling.
    Long time to the draft though.

Off the subject a little but Why isn't anyone signing D'agelo Hall, and why don't we if nobody wants him?
    Hall is still under contract with the Falcons for next year.
    He's just a jerk and wants out, so he's asking for a trade.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    Draft two this year?
    Scott/Edwards
    I'm gonna go out on a limb (you know I never do that
    ;D) and say that Scott won't be back unless no other team offers him a contract. The Vikes could/would then lowball him again this year and he will beeeeyyyyatch all year.

As to Edwards, interesting, but do you think his knees could hold up to the additional weight he would have to put on to play LDE?

91 Ray Edwards DE 23 6-5 268 2 Purdue
    73 Otis Grigsby DE 27 6-3 260 2 Kentucky
    99 Erasmus James DE 25 6-4 266 3 Wisconsin
    92 Jayme Mitchell DE 23 6-6 285 2 Mississippi
    96 Brian Robison DE 24 6-3 267 R Texas
    95 Kenechi Udeze DE 25 6-3 281 4 USC
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    Draft two this year?
    I am actually curious about Harvey. I believe he played RDE in college (not positive) but all of the scouting reports I see on him just have him listed as DE.
    Other players (Long, Merling, etc) on the same scouting reports specify LDE or RDE.
    Knowing that the strength in LDE is run stopping and containment, and the strength in RDE is pass rush, does this imply that he can excel at both?
    Do you think he is able to come in and learn either side?
    Or am I just reading too much in to the scouting reports?
    I don't think it is much of a transitional thing to play RDE or LDE as most of the college guys seem to make the transition when they come up.

I think it is more along the lines of the size.
    Typically a RDE is in the 260ish range and LDE start at the 280ish range.

If a guy is 265 at 6'3" and runs a slow 40, he probably can't add and carry the weight that a 6'5" guy could.

Another thing I wouldn't get to wrapped up about when you look at LDE is thier 40 times.
    Remember, these guys are considered bigger and not so much of an edge rusher that you typically think about when the casual fan says DE.
    Very few 6'5" 290lb men are gonna crack a sub 4.5 40.
    If they do you need to snatch them up.
    ;D

As I aluded in my query of Jargo, the staff might just take 2 DE's in this draft.
    Maybe they go with a RDE in the first round (edge rusher) and then get the beef that can play the LDE position in the later rounds from a guy no one has heard of ala Langford out of Hampton, or a guy of his ilk.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    Draft two this year?
    Scott/Edwards
    I'm gonna go out on a limb (you know I never do that
    ;D) and say that Scott won't be back unless no other team offers him a contract. The Vikes could/would then lowball him again this year and he will beeeeyyyyatch all year.

As to Edwards, interesting, but do you think his knees could hold up to the additional weight he would have to put on to play LDE?

91 Ray Edwards DE 23 6-5 268 2 Purdue
    73 Otis Grigsby DE 27 6-3 260 2 Kentucky
    99 Erasmus James DE 25 6-4 266 3 Wisconsin
    92 Jayme Mitchell DE 23 6-6 285 2 Mississippi
    96 Brian Robison DE 24 6-3 267 R Texas
    95 Kenechi Udeze DE 25 6-3 281 4 USC
    Ray was listed at 273 lbs. at Purdue.I think he can carry another ten pounds. He had a foot and hip injury, didn't know he had bad knees!
    Dilfer

mjuaire is offline Rookie

[/quote]
    I don't think it is much of a transitional thing to play RDE or LDE as most of the college guys seem to make the transition when they come up.

I think it is more along the lines of the size.
    Typically a RDE is in the 260ish range and LDE start at the 280ish range.

If a guy is 265 at 6'3" and runs a slow 40, he probably can't add and carry the weight that a 6'5" guy could.

Another thing I wouldn't get to wrapped up about when you look at LDE is thier 40 times.
    Remember, these guys are considered bigger and not so much of an edge rusher that you typically think about when the casual fan says DE.
    Very few 6'5" 290lb men are gonna crack a sub 4.5 40.
    If they do you need to snatch them up.

;D

As I aluded in my query of Jargo, the staff might just take 2 DE's in this draft.
    Maybe they go with a RDE in the first round (edge rusher) and then get the beef that can play the LDE position in the later rounds from a guy no one has heard of ala Langford out of Hampton, or a guy of his ilk.
    [/quote]

Like it, draft 5 DE's from each side. We are bound to have better luck than we have in the past.
    Sorry for the exaggeration...but i would be fine with Multiple DE prospects.
    Thanks for the heads up on hall...the fact that he's signed makes more sense ???

You know the Troy Williamson pick makes me real mad as it did on that day, but the Erasmus James pick makes me just as mad.
    You don't draft a DE from Wisconsin okay??
    You just don't do it.
    In fact, i would be fine with never drafting a skilled position player at all from Wisconsin...AHHH!
    okay the rant is over...onto more positive things that have nothing to do with Wisconsin.

What would people be least happy with in a first round selection?

Personally, I would not want a QB drafted in the first round.
    I have more faith (reserved however) in t-jack and think we can adress more pressing needs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast