Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Rich's Rant: The Wrongness of the Mocks

"Rockmolder" wrote:
    What I don't get is how these boards change all the time. I read a transcript of a chat with either Wyche or Kirwan. He said that NFL teams have their mocks ready before the combine and the only movement that occurs from that moment on is because of really stand-out work-outs at pro-days or the combines.

If the purpose of a mock draft is to make it come as close to reality as you can, how come that the ones from the teams don't change alot, while online mock drafts get a complete overhaul between February 1st and March 1st?
    I am not sure that the teams scenarios/mocks don't change.
    In fact Spielman has said that he tweeks his all the way up to the day and has several laid out.

My guess is that they are probably abit more accurate based on the stuff they have, 1) access to pro scouts (we use web sites and youtube), 2) actual time to interview/work the kid, (We have web sites and youtube), 3) the have access to the collegiate coaches, (we have fans that followed them in college, web sites and youtube).

Odds just dictate that the pro mocks/scenario's would be alot more accurate than a yutz like me who doesn't even watch college ball.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Rockmolder" wrote:
    What I don't get is how these boards change all the time. I read a transcript of a chat with either Wyche or Kirwan. He said that NFL teams have their mocks ready before the combine and the only movement that occurs from that moment on is because of really stand-out work-outs at pro-days or the combines.

If the purpose of a mock draft is to make it come as close to reality as you can, how come that the ones from the teams don't change alot, while online mock drafts get a complete overhaul between February 1st and March 1st?
    In fact Spielman has said that he tweeks his all the way up to the day and has several laid out.

My guess is that they are probably abit more accurate based on the stuff they have, 1) access to pro scouts (we use web sites and youtube), 2) actual time to interview/work the kid, (We have web sites and youtube), 3) the have access to the collegiate coaches, (we have fans that followed them in college, web sites and youtube).

Odds just dictate that the pro mocks/scenario's would be alot more accurate than a yutz like me who doesn't even watch college ball.
    Yea, I guess you're right. Although Wyche does have insider info, I didn't recall what he said completely right. Found the transcript and this is what he said.

Steve Wyche, NFL.com
    Andrew, Great question. Keep in mind, players might move up mock draft boards because of a great workout -- but not on most NFL draft boards. Teams formulate their draft boards in advance of the Combine. What they see there might make a player move in either direction but if there is a big move, it's usually headed backwards because of an injury or character flaw. Not many players make a huge jump, although QB Josh Freeman seems to have really made a move. I think that could be in part because some teams really need a quarterback to develop.
    That's pretty much what happens on mock drafts aswell. Was wrong on my previous post.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"C" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    My response to that article is "Waaaahhhh!!!"

he should have ended it here.
    it’s because they’re a lot of fun. Nothing more. They generate stimulating conversation on occasion, but should not be take seriously.
    Mocks are also good because they give you an idea of what players may fall to 22, given a certain scenario. NFL front offices do their own mocks to help prepare for the draft, so how worthless are they really? When you want to sit around and bullshit about football it seems like a good topic, seeing as draft prep is what's happening in the NFL. I might even make one this year, you know when, I get around to it.
    Yes... but you and I don't work for the NFL, so I think that was his point.

The bold text and the quote I took from his rant applies to everyone.

Discussing which draft prospects fit where, and other shit like that is why I come here in the off-season. It's also a good break from the sky is falling threads.

He's bitching because he doesn't like the fact that other people enjoy making and reading mock drafts. That's like me writing an article on figure skating.
    Well she did a spin, which was lame, followed by some prancing.
    The arena coffee sucked, why do people watch this shit?
    Old bitter people should be confined to forums with the rest of us.

"Rockmolder" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Rockmolder" wrote:

Yea, I guess you're right. Although Wyche does have insider info, I didn't recall what he said completely right. Found the transcript and this is what he said.

Steve Wyche, NFL.com
    Andrew, Great question. Keep in mind, players might move up mock draft boards because of a great workout -- but not on most NFL draft boards. Teams formulate their draft boards in advance of the Combine. What they see there might make a player move in either direction but if there is a big move, it's usually headed backwards because of an injury or character flaw. Not many players make a huge jump, although QB Josh Freeman seems to have really made a move. I think that could be in part because some teams really need a quarterback to develop.
    That's pretty much what happens on mock drafts aswell. Was wrong on my previous post.
    I'm starting to like you.
    Hang around and you will see that is quite a big step for me and anything PUKER related......(JK
    ;D)
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

About as wrong as pre-season power rankings and predictions. But it is fun.

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    About as wrong as pre-season power rankings and predictions. But it is fun.
    Hey, I did a thing called a "Bracket" for a thing called "March Madness" two years in a row and I actually watched my kid watch college basketball this year.

Never thought I would see that happen, but as you said, it was fun. ;D

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

All these mock drafts do is give us starving football fans a format to educate ourselves on the new crop of kids coming up. We see our team needs, and speculate on whom we should select. We also see what other teams are needing, and it give's us some insight as to who may be selected before our pick, and who will still be available. It is a good way to learn about players that may fill our needs, and give's us a chance to see some profile's of guy's that we don't know much about, and may be a good pick. But mostly it is just plain fun. ;D

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    I don't do mocks. I could care less about other teams. All I want to know is what guys I want to see on this team.
    I'm not so sure that my fascination with them is because of the other teams, but rather, the inner workings of the FO's and how they go about evaluating the talent and then getting the players they want/need to fill holes on the rosters.

Said it before, I'll probably say it again, I would almost kill to get a chance to sit in the Warroom in Winter park for just an hour during draft day or during thier final board prep.
    I wouldn't want you anywhere near that room.
    ;D
    Truth be told, I wouldn't let me in either...... Might somehow come away with a DT at 22.

;D
    or a kicker...
    ;D

j/k

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12