Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

Re:Reynaud The Runner

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    mountainviking wrote:
    I think thats pretty much paperwork...he's a multi backup kind of guy, as well as returner, increasing his value. Basically, I'm betting he still gets reps out of the slot etc so he's ready if/when injury or migraine dictates.

Still, interesting option. With DR, Ian and Harvin, we've got 3 guys in that same 6' 200 lb with speed and moves mold. I wonder if they're planning to use more wildcat or such to make up for the loss of CT and perhaps limit the old guy's reps a bit more...?

Kleiny is kind of a funny guy. Been a Viking from day 1, and fits our blue-collar, tough guy mold perfectly. He's a great blocker, but has never been a real offensive threat in any of the roles we've played him at. Not only is he not fast, he's so top heavy he tends to fall down shortly after beginning running. His longest completion was 39 yards, his average is a reasonable 8.8, but he's only scored 7 times in 11 years.

Sure, we don't even use the FB that much...but it would still be nice to get more than 2.2 rushing or 4.1 recieving when we do! (Tahi's career averages)
    A pass catching FB/Big RB2 would be a surprisingly big plus in the WCO. Its a missing piece you usually look for in the WCO. Even though the offense made great strides last year, they did it without really taking full advantage of RBs/FBs/HBs coming out of the backfield.

If they take any offensive player besides an Olineman it needs to be someone to address this gap.
    Don't let marrdro let you hear that.... He's dead set on our scheme not wanting a fullback with any type of skills, which is why we hire the first bum to come our way.
    I can see where he is coming from, don't need all the bodies we have listed at FB especially with the limited skill set they have at the FB position. Way too 1-dimensional. We need a FB with some pass catching skills/speed. Its the ability to go in motion as a legitimate threat that makes a Fullback a real threat in the WCO (would like him to be a running threat in his own as well). If your not going to have a complete FB you as well use the roster spot on someone else.
    None

ForceOfNorse is offline Starter

I think it's definitely an interesting move. Heck, Reynaud had over 1,800 yards rushing in his senior year in high school. At WV, he was moved over to WR, but still got a few chances to run the ball.
    Multi-facet guys are valuable. Especially in our system.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    mountainviking wrote:
    I think thats pretty much paperwork...he's a multi backup kind of guy, as well as returner, increasing his value. Basically, I'm betting he still gets reps out of the slot etc so he's ready if/when injury or migraine dictates.

Still, interesting option. With DR, Ian and Harvin, we've got 3 guys in that same 6' 200 lb with speed and moves mold. I wonder if they're planning to use more wildcat or such to make up for the loss of CT and perhaps limit the old guy's reps a bit more...?

Kleiny is kind of a funny guy. Been a Viking from day 1, and fits our blue-collar, tough guy mold perfectly. He's a great blocker, but has never been a real offensive threat in any of the roles we've played him at. Not only is he not fast, he's so top heavy he tends to fall down shortly after beginning running. His longest completion was 39 yards, his average is a reasonable 8.8, but he's only scored 7 times in 11 years.

Sure, we don't even use the FB that much...but it would still be nice to get more than 2.2 rushing or 4.1 recieving when we do! (Tahi's career averages)
    A pass catching FB/Big RB2 would be a surprisingly big plus in the WCO. Its a missing piece you usually look for in the WCO. Even though the offense made great strides last year, they did it without really taking full advantage of RBs/FBs/HBs coming out of the backfield.

If they take any offensive player besides an Olineman it needs to be someone to address this gap.
    Don't let marrdro let you hear that.... He's dead set on our scheme not wanting a fullback with any type of skills, which is why we hire the first bum to come our way.
    The fact that they don't use a FB in this scheme other than to block has nothing to do with me.

As bsmithberkley said, its a facet one would expect to see used alot in the WCO, however, you need to look at what variant a team runs when you make a comment like that.

For me, its all gets back to our base set.....

WR LT LG C RG RT WR
    TE QB TE

RB

Who do you take out so that you can plug in a FB? Mostly its a TE when we go with a FB, but it isn't for the use as a offensive weapon, but rather another blocker.

My guess is that we will even see the base shift a bit this year with our base package looking alot more like this......

WR WR LT LG C RG RT WR
    QB TE

RB

.....with the 3rd WR (PH) moving alot pre-snap.

Again, who do you take out for a FB when it comes to a weapon?

Face it my friends, the day and age of a big bruising FB being used in the NFL are dead and gone. Get with the times and move on.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    mountainviking wrote:

The fact that they don't use a FB in this scheme other than to block has nothing to do with me.

As bsmithberkley said, its a facet one would expect to see used alot in the WCO, however, you need to look at what variant a team runs when you make a comment like that.

WR LT LG C RG RT WR
    TE QB TE

RB

Who do you take out so that you can plug in a FB? Mostly its a TE when we go with a FB, but it isn't for the use as a offensive weapon, but rather another blocker.

My guess is that we will even see the base shift a bit this year with our base package looking alot more like this......

WR WR LT LG C RG RT WR
    QB TE

RB

Face it my friends, the day and age of a big bruising FB being used in the NFL are dead and gone. Get with the times and move on.
    Well, I never thought I was old fashioned...must be getting old.

I certainly wouldn't want to see any of the current personnel FB used, however, I think there is a spot and a time for a FB that has the right ball skills. It would not be part of our base package, but would give another wrinkle to short yardage and goal line situations. Nothing we have to Focus on, but, if given the option, it is an area they could improve upon.

You can't just give up on the FB, the 2 back set is like 70% of the traditional WCO playbook. Let him live.
    None

bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    mountainviking wrote:

WR LT LG C RG RT WR
    TE QB TE

RB

WR WR LT LG C RG RT WR
    QB TE

RB

I certainly wouldn't want to see any of the current personnel FB used, however, I think there is a spot and a time for a FB that has the right ball skills. It would not be part of our base package, but would give another wrinkle to short yardage and goal line situations. Nothing we have to Focus on, but, if given the option, it is an area they could improve upon.

You can't just give up on the FB, the 2 back set is like 70% of the traditional WCO playbook. Let him live.
    LOL, I don't think they (this current staff) will ever do away with a FB, but it won't be a guy who is gonna carry the ball or catch it on a consistent basis.

The play were TJ threw to Tahi and he rumbled for 38 yards caught everyone with thier shorts down. Even the Noodle tried to go to him a couple of times this year, but that doesn't mean it is gonna happen alot.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    mountainviking wrote:

WR LT LG C RG RT WR
    TE QB TE

RB

WR WR LT LG C RG RT WR
    QB TE

RB

LOL, I don't think they (this current staff) will ever do away with a FB, but it won't be a guy who is gonna carry the ball or catch it on a consistent basis.

The play were TJ threw to Tahi and he rumbled for 38 yards caught everyone with thier shorts down. Even the Noodle tried to go to him a couple of times this year, but that doesn't mean it is gonna happen alot.
    Gotta agree, he wouldn't touch the ball much, maybe 5 times a game tops. But, if he is a credible threat he makes every other player just a little bit better when he is in the game.
    None

How does this affect the Vikings draft plans? More importantly, how does this affect the perception of the Vikings draft plans? My guess is it really has no practical impact on the Vikings plans because I truly believe theyíre going to take the best player available when itís their time to choose, be it a RB or a DB or anything in between Ė except a WR. But not everyone will see it that way. Some will surely assume this puts the Vikings out of the market for a RB at the end of the 1st round. Either way, itís my opinion that moving Reynaud to RB does nothing to tip the Vikings hand at the end of the 1st round and thatís an advantage for the Purple
    Initial Thoughts On Reynaud Moving To RB

Perhaps because it doesn't happen very often, a position switch -- or even a potential one -- by a professional athlete tends to draw a fair amount of interest from fans. One needed only to sift through the 100-plus comments from (mostly) excited Vikings fans when it was revealed a few days ago that Darius Reynaud would be making the switch from wide receiver to running back to reinforce the interest level in moves like these. It also brought to mind three of the more famous position switches (or debates) in recent local pro sports history.
    Switching positions seemed reasonable...

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

I suggested that the Vikings could use Darius Reynaud at RB in multiply posts ever since they drafted him. Suddenly, the Vikings have one of the best hands at the running back position. Reynaud could be a better version of Chester Taylor if he can pass block.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123