Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Resigning Birk

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Resigning Birk

"seaniemck7" wrote:

At the end of the day, we had the same offer on the table that the Ravens did. Regardless, at some point, you have to change vets with youngsters.
    Apparently, the staff thinks we can do it now vice 2 years from now which is what i would have preferred.
    I tend to think they know more than me.

edit: to clarify my point though, a new center could very well be an improvement in some areas like run blocking, pulling, sliding etc.
    He just may not be an improvement every aspect of the position.
    Well that is true, I completely missed it. Either way, Birk should have been locked up before FO ever began. Birk is not in Minny because Minny was hesitant, and simply din't want him.

Do we need a center who can run block, pull, and slide better than Birk? Is it not a ZB scheme anyways? Isn't Chilly about using players in a scheme, not building the scheme around players?

My thoughts are that Birk was great for us last year. Great. All this crap about declining age and ineffective line calls is 90% bullshit mixed with 10% of turd polish. I can't see an unproven rookie with no pro snaps being an upgrade to Birk in any way, shape or form.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"V" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:

At the end of the day, we had the same offer on the table that the Ravens did. Regardless, at some point, you have to change vets with youngsters.
    Apparently, the staff thinks we can do it now vice 2 years from now which is what i would have preferred.

edit: to clarify my point though, a new center could very well be an improvement in some areas like run blocking, pulling, sliding etc.
    Well that is true, I completely missed it. Either way, Birk should have been locked up before FO ever began. Birk is not in Minny because Minny was hesitant, and simply din't want him.

Do we need a center who can run block, pull, and slide better than Birk? Is it not a ZB scheme anyways? Isn't Chilly about using players in a scheme, not building the scheme around players?

My thoughts are that Birk was great for us last year. Great. All this crap about declining age and ineffective line calls is 90% bullshit mixed with 10% of turd polish. I can't see an unproven rookie with no pro snaps being an upgrade to Birk in any way, shape or form.
    Hindsight is 20/20 here.
    Some people say we should have released Birk last year.
    Some people say we should have given him an extension.
    Let's be real.
    I would have liked to see Birk re-sign with the Vikes.
    But it was his choice to go to Baltimore.
    The FO wanted him back.
    They stated it.
    He stated it.
    But the fact is he chose to move on.
    His play has declined over the past couple of years.
    I have to disagree with you in that aspect.
    He still is a good Center but he isn't the elite Center he once was.
    He has made noticible mistakes throughout the last season.
    Mistakes he didn't used to make.
    I can't speak about the calls but I have seen him move to the left when help was needed on the right.
    He has botched a couple of snaps that have hurt the Vikes too.
    Will Sullivan be an upgrade?
    I don't know and I would speculate he won't be at this time.
    However, it doesn't take away the fact he chose to move on.

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

I love your style, V.
    I agree with you somewhat.
    However, I refuse to take the doom and gloom approach so early in the offseason.
    I will reserve that for the regular season. ;D

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"V" wrote:
    ....My thoughts are that Birk was great for us last year. Great. All this crap about declining age and ineffective line calls is 90% bullshit mixed with 10% of turd polish...
    +1
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"V" wrote:

My thoughts are that Birk was great for us last year. Great. All this crap about declining age and ineffective line calls is 90% kaka del rio mixed with 10% of turd polish. I can't see an unproven rookie with no pro snaps being an upgrade to Birk in any way, shape or form.
    That would almost make sense if that is all we did was ZB......Problem is, we don't....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"V" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:

My thoughts are that Birk was great for us last year. Great. All this crap about declining age and ineffective line calls is 90% kaka del rio mixed with 10% of turd polish. I can't see an unproven rookie with no pro snaps being an upgrade to Birk in any way, shape or form.
    Purely speculation on my part, but when the Vikings failed to extend Birks contract last season, it was a hint they were going to let him go.
    Because of that, I have to assume they have a plan in place.

Birk did his job last year. But I agree he was not exceptional. And it wasn't just in pass blocking, defensive reads, or bad snaps. He also had a hard time moving those big defensive tackles. Instead of opening holes, he was often stalemated.
    And since this is a running team, I think the coaches would like a road grader.

Given that, I don't see Sullivan as that guy, but nobody but the coaches would really know.

So I'll put my faith in the staff for now.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:

Purely speculation on my part, but when the Vikings failed to extend Birks contract last season, it was a hint they were going to let him go.

Birk did his job last year. But I agree he was not exceptional. And it wasn't just in pass blocking, defensive reads, or bad snaps. He also had a hard time moving those big defensive tackles. Instead of opening holes, he was often stalemated.

Given that, I don't see Sullivan as that guy, but nobody but the coaches would really know.

Very true regarding the nonrenewal of the contract last year.

Be careful though, I've been flamed before for believing in the staff (the guys that have >100 yrs of professional coaching experience and actually know the players and see them practice and play) rather than some genius on pp.o that has been a fan and drank a lot of beer while contemplating the state of the Vikings.
    You are on dangerous ground putting your faith in the staff.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Prophet" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:

Be careful though, I've been flamed before for believing in the staff (the guys that have >100 yrs of professional coaching experience and actually know the players and see them practice and play) rather than some genius on pp.o that has been a fan and drank a lot of beer while contemplating the state of the Vikings.
    YEP!!!.. you are... that's why coaches get hired and fired all the time... not taking anything away from the coaches, but at the same time it's not like a fan or two or three don't know what they are talking about or even in some cases would make better personnel moves than the staff would...

but then again nobody gets it right everytime!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Prophet" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:

Maybe it's because they brought in players such as Mann, McMahon, Bollinger, Detmer, Bethel Johnson, Nance, Pinner, Whittle, Bolston, Doss, Holcomb, Tank Williams & Whitaker?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:

YEP!!!.. you are... that's why coaches get hired and fired all the time... not taking anything away from the coaches, but at the same time it's not like a fan or two or three don't know what they are talking about or even in some cases would make better personnel moves than the staff would...

but then again nobody gets it right everytime!
    Some yutz speculated that sometime last year by the way.
    Up until two days ago he was still discussing that very same thing with some cats on here who still said that they NEW that Birk would be the starter for the Vikes this year........

Couple even said that they weren't concerned about the Center position cause they knew Birk would resign with us......

Man I love this site...... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast