Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Resigning Birk

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Resigning Birk

Jason Brown will be commanding 8 million per year in free agency.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Sign Birk, bring in Stinchcomb...that's one helluva line to work with IMO.

Bring in a veteran WR, Draft
    BPA, BPA, BPA, BPA, BPA, BPA, BPA, and you've got the making of a Championship tradition.
    Oh, wait, we gotta have better QB play (that's another story/thread).
    Sounds like a great scenario to me.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"marstc09" wrote:
    Birk says he wants to stay; team, agent meet

"I'd love to have him back," coach Brad Childress said while attending the NFL Scouting Combine.
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/40010847.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiD3aPc:_Yyc: aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

I tried to tell Marrdro but again he would not listen to me. Just because there was no negotiations during the year does not mean he would be gone. There is a time for football and a time for business. We are stacked at Center. IMO Birk is the starter until proven that he is not.
    I always listen.
    Sometimes I just tend to not see your side of it.

Again, until he is resign he ISN'T on the roster and the spot is still a spot of need.
    Could Birk be the guy that is BROUGHT IN to fill that need?
    Possibly, but I doubt it.

My guess is that Birk and his agent haven't had anything in the way of a offer that would cause Matt to move on.

As with all FA, the team is gonna give them a offer, if they want them back, commensurate with thier percieved skill level.

For Matt, that contract will probably be backup type/like money and he will be asked to be a backup to someone else (Sullivan/Cook/Unger whoever) as the team move on.

Smart if you ask me.
    Allows them to move on with minimal risk.
    If the new guy doesn't cut it you will still have Matt sitting in the wings ready to come in and be a turnstyle in the middle again.

;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"singersp" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:

"I'd love to have him back," coach Brad Childress said while attending the NFL Scouting Combine.
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/40010847.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiD3aPc:_Yyc: aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

I tried to tell Marrdro but again he would not listen to me. Just because there was no negotiations during the year does not mean he would be gone. There is a time for football and a time for business. We are stacked at Center. IMO Birk is the starter until proven that he is not.
    [size=10pt]LOL![/size]

Marr would love to see QB competition on the roster next year, yet he was in full support of handing over the Center position, a position he avers is highly important to the team & handing those duties over to a second year man who has yet to snap a single ball in a regular season game.
    Just like the QB position, I encourage competition at all positions.
    Why would the C position be any different?

How many games did start at C before he started for the first time?
    Seriously, if you were a member of a site like this back then I bet you would be typing the same old lame excuse why Birk shouldn't get the chance..... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:

I always listen.

Again, until he is resign he ISN'T on the roster and the spot is still a spot of need.

My guess is that Birk and his agent haven't had anything in the way of a offer that would cause Matt to move on.

As with all FA, the team is gonna give them a offer, if they want them back, commensurate with thier percieved skill level.

For Matt, that contract will probably be backup type/like money and he will be asked to be a backup to someone else (Sullivan/Cook/Unger whoever) as the team move on.

Smart if you ask me.
    If the new guy doesn't cut it you will still have Matt sitting in the wings ready to come in and be a turnstyle in the middle again.

;D
    No way do the sign him to be a backup. Birk has what others don't, gel time.. BTW Birk is on the roster until Feb. 27th. That is fact.

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:

I always listen.

Smart if you ask me.

;D
    No way do the sign him to be a backup. Birk has what others don't, gel time.. BTW Birk is on the roster until Feb. 27th. That is fact.
    OK, I will give you the 27th Loophole...... ;D

On a side note, a guy like Garcia has been pretty open/accepting to coming in and being a backup/possible starter but Birk shouldn't take that attititude?

Comeon.
    My guess is still that if he wants to be a Viking next year, that will be his first role, starter will be a secondary role if the guy they have tagged to take over doesn't work out.

Again, that is smart business for the Vikes.
    Who cares what Matt thinks unless you think the team should be loyal to him and let him play until he is in a wheel chair.

I for one remember distinctly when Christie was treated this way.
    He opted to leave and Birk did fine.
    Not sure why some think that can't happen again.
    :

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:

I always listen.

Smart if you ask me.

;D

On a side note, a guy like Garcia has been pretty open/accepting to coming in and being a backup/possible starter but Birk shouldn't take that attititude?

Comeon.
    My guess is still that if he wants to be a Viking next year, that will be his first role, starter will be a secondary role if the guy they have tagged to take over doesn't work out.

Who cares what Matt thinks unless you think the team should be loyal to him and let him play until he is in a wheel chair.

:
    Good point. How much does he want to be paid though? All his agent said is that "They didn't insult us." Maybe he wants to test the market. I would like us to just go after Brown.

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:

I always listen.

Smart if you ask me.

;D

Comeon.

:
    Good point. How much does he want to be paid though? All his agent said is that "They didn't insult us." Maybe he wants to test the market. I would like us to just go after Brown.
    Finally, something we agree on...... ;D

That line about insulting us rings to the backup money.
    I would think they offered him something that he could live with as a backup with some sort of incentives that would escalate based on games started.

Again, nice insurance by the FO.
    Ensures we have a plan B if the guy we elect to go with (If it isn't Brown) struggles a bit.

By the way, I see a offer to Birk as a indicator that we aren't going after Brown but will go with someone already on the roster or drafted.
    No way they spend big on a FA and keep Matt.
    Doesn't make financial sense.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=50626.msg910027#msg910027 date=1235234746]

I always listen.

Smart if you ask me.

;D

Comeon.

:
    Finally, something we agree on...... ;D

That line about insulting us rings to the backup money.
    I would think they offered him something that he could live with as a backup with some sort of incentives that would escalate based on games started.

Again, nice insurance by the FO.
    Ensures we have a plan B if the guy we elect to go with (If it isn't Brown) struggles a bit.

By the way, I see a offer to Birk as a indicator that we aren't going after Brown but will go with someone already on the roster or drafted.
    No way they spend big on a FA and keep Matt.
    Doesn't make financial sense.
    [/quote]

Could they move Birk to G and put Brown at C or would that be dumb?

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Birk at RG?
    Interesting option...but, my gut tells me that they'd like Birk to start another year or two while they see if Sullivan and/or Cook can cut it.
    They're both still young with little to no exp at C.
    Starting incentives on a average contract could be just what's in order for Birk and the Vikes.
    With 4 young kids and a local business, why start over with some rebuilding team like the Lions for a few million more?

Brown and Birk in the middle sounds kind of nice, but, Herrera has played pretty good there, and it doesn't address RT.
    Now that we're talking to Birk again, I think Brown has gone off the radar...looks like he'll get some really big offers, perhaps, too big for our tastes, and other needs.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast